• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mechanic sentenced for selling thousands of devices that allowed trucks to bypass emissions controls

Bear5131

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
This guy should of never been sent to jail, emissions tests is just a cash cow for local governments

A North Carolina truck mechanic was sentenced to a year in prison for selling thousands of devices that allowed truck owners to bypass emissions-control systems and produce hundreds of times more pollution than is legally allowed.

Matthew Sidney Geouge, 35, of Hendersonville, N.C., pleaded guilty last year to violating the Clean Air Act and tax evasion. In addition to the prison term, Geouge was also ordered to pay $1.3 million in fines to the EPA, and $1.2 million in back taxes and penalties.

Federal prosecutors say that between 2008 and 2017, Geouge sold around 14,000 kits known as “tuners” or “defeat devices” that helped shut off the emissions systems on mostly diesel-powered pickup trucks.

This guy should of never been sent to jail, emissions tests is just a cash cow for local governments

A North Carolina truck mechanic was sentenced to a year in prison for selling thousands of devices that allowed truck owners to bypass emissions-control systems and produce hundreds of times more pollution than is legally allowed.

Matthew Sidney Geouge, 35, of Hendersonville, N.C., pleaded guilty last year to violating the Clean Air Act and tax evasion. In addition to the prison term, Geouge was also ordered to pay $1.3 million in fines to the EPA, and $1.2 million in back taxes and penalties.

Federal prosecutors say that between 2008 and 2017, Geouge sold around 14,000 kits known as “tuners” or “defeat devices” that helped shut off the emissions systems on mostly diesel-powered pickup trucks.

Why do you want environmental laws to be broken?

When Uncle Sam comes after you for 1.2 Million in back taxes?

And your jail sentence is only a year?

I’d say you got off easy.

I'm actually a California State Licensed Emissions Test and Repair technician. I can truthfully state that I've personally prevented literally tons of hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen from polluting the atmosphere.
I don't really enjoy hugging trees, though. :cool:

I live in California, and I bypass the emissions crap on my truck too.

Then when inspection time comes, I put it back to pass, and then disengage it again. I figure if the state really wanted to cut down emissions then we wouldn't be a sanctuary state for millions of illegal aliens.

Sorry, I disagree. I believe in regulating pollutants. Were you alive in the 60's and seen how polluted our skies were? I was. Now amplify that by how many people who now have similar standards?

If it wasnt for emmission regulations, our air would be rather dangerous. This wan't just one incident of an idividual find a cheat to have a vehicle pass. This was thousands of incidents, and probably millions of dollars.

Sorry, I disagree. I believe in regulating pollutants. Were you alive in the 60's and seen how polluted our skies were? I was. Now amplify that by how many people who now have similar standards?

If it wasnt for emmission regulations, our air would be rather dangerous. This wan't just one incident of an idividual find a cheat to have a vehicle pass. This was thousands of incidents, and probably millions of dollars.
Nixon took care of it, I despise these emissions test, they hire some 16 year old to Rev the **** out of your car for no reason

Nixon took care of it, I despise these emissions test, they hire some 16 year old to Rev the **** out of your car for no reason
Not on cars with the OBD 2 (1996) or newer. The computers talk and are determined that way.

When they put a tube up the pipe, I forget what they do, but it isn't a 16 year old at the helm.

On a side note, they won't even bother testing the cars in my area if they are burning oil (blue smoke) and automatically fail them.

Not on cars with the OBD 2 (1996) or newer. The computers talk and are determined that way.

When they put a tube up the pipe, I forget what they do, but it isn't a 16 year old at the helm.

On a side note, they won't even bother testing the cars in my area if they are burning oil (blue smoke) and automatically fail them.
I haven't lived in an area that I had to get emissions tested since 2004, that's all I remembered, at first they would do a quick test then it was reving the engine, interesting on what you posted

The air over big cities is still a smudgy brown color.
Take a ride in airplane and look out to window.
Maybe not as bad as in the '60s but it's still there.

Back
Top Bottom