• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Meatless Mondays: Black Bean & Sweet Potato Taquitos

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Taquitos | Brewing Happiness

These black bean & sweet potato taquitos are sweet, salty, and spicy all rolled into one. It's a fun vegetarian take on this classic Mexican indulgence.
Author: Brewing Happiness
Recipe type: Not So Normal
Serves: 10-15 taquitos
INGREDIENTS
10-15 corn or flour tortillas (if your tortillas are thin, you may want to double them)
1½ cup grapeseed oil
1 can refried black beans (sub regular refried beans)
3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
½ cup light coconut milk
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon cayenne
⅛ teaspoon pepper
1 yellow onion, sliced thin
1 tablespoon olive oil
Toppings:
1 cup greek (or coconut) yogurt
1 lime, juiced
¼ cup cilantro chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons honey
pumpkin seeds
salsa verde
cilantro
INSTRUCTIONS
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in your peeled and chopped potatoes. Continue to boil for 25 minutes.
While your sweet potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add in your thinly sliced onion and sauté for about 10 minutes, or until nice and soft. Take off heat and set aside.
After 25 minutes, drain water and transfer sweet potatoes to a blender or food processor. Add coconut milk, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, cayenne and pepper to the blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
Open your can of refried black beans and begin assembling your taquitos by spreading a THIN layer of black beans, sweet potato puree and a sprinkle of cooked onions in the middle. Roll into a thin cylinder shape and hold closed with a tooth pick. Do this for all 10-15 of your taquitos.
Heat a large pan over medium heat with 1½ cups grapeseed oil (or other frying oil). Once hot add in each taquito, cooking on each side for 30-60 seconds or until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel to drain excess oil.
Remove tooth pick and top with salsa verde, pumpkin seeds, and cilantro.
Gently blend together your greek yogurt, lime juice, cilantro and salt. (DO NOT OVER BLEND.)
Pour over the top, and EAT UP.

I support the idea of meatless mondays for cafeteria food, but I think the biggest problem with this concept is that its being promoted by groups who are mostly vegan. Leading too overly convoluted and complex recipes that cant be duplicated in a cafeteria easily. This taquito recipe in particular is a fine example of that flaw, I mean its made with grapeseed oil and a 1/8th teaspoon of pepper for 15 taquitos? as if it was made by some pseudo culinary artist. Poor people however eat a vegetarian diet all the time, because they cant afford meat, and if you live in latin america you may eat black bean burritos everyday made up of nothing but the beans and tortillas, and maybe a few spices. But that recipe would involve cooking oil most likely from animal fat, and maybe cheese or sour cream if it were to be served in cafeterias.

taking the rather good idea of meatless mondays and turning it into a cult like activity only practiced by the elite, similair to private schools having holistic medicine at the nurses office

I support the idea of meatless mondays for cafeteria food, but I think the biggest problem with this concept is that its being promoted by groups who are mostly vegan. Leading too overly convoluted and complex recipes that cant be duplicated in a cafeteria easily. This taquito recipe in particular is a fine example of that flaw, I mean its made with grapeseed oil and a 1/8th teaspoon of pepper for 15 taquitos? as if it was made by some pseudo culinary artist. Poor people however eat a vegetarian diet all the time, because they cant afford meat, and if you live in latin america you may eat black bean burritos everyday made up of nothing but the beans and tortillas, and maybe a few spices. But that recipe would involve cooking oil most likely from animal fat, and maybe cheese or sour cream if it were to be served in cafeterias.

taking the rather good idea of meatless mondays and turning it into a cult like activity only practiced by the elite, similair to private schools having holistic medicine at the nurses office

oh come on. you can follow it a little less closely and closer to what you have in your cupboard

oh come on. you can follow it a little less closely and closer to what you have in your cupboard

you could also cook it with meat, so thats not the point. you made this post too promote meatless mondays, correct? Therefore it should include vegetarian (not vegan) recipes that can be cooked cheaply and easily

you could also cook it with meat, so thats not the point. you made this post too promote meatless mondays, correct? Therefore it should include vegetarian (not vegan) recipes that can be cooked cheaply and easily

I am pretty sure the audience for this recipe are Ivy League undergrads who on a special weekend want to do a cheap fussy meal to impress someone with their will to politicize food intake.

Beans, sweet potato and coconut milk? THat is what I am going to go to all this work to fry?

I dont think so.

I am pretty sure the audience for this recipe are Ivy League undergrads who on a special weekend want to do a cheap fussy meal to impress someone with their will to politicize food intake.

Beans, sweet potato and coconut milk? THat is what I am going to go to all this work to fry?

I dont think so.

this wasn't meant for the baloney sandwich types.

I dont think so.

lol something like that

heres a simpler recipe, its cheap, easy too cook, and not vegan

1 can of re-fried beans
1 cup Mexican blend or mozzarella cheese
½ (1 teaspoon) packet taco seasoning
½ cup light chopped cilantro
12 small taco size flour tortillas
oil for frying

Heat a pan or skillet to medium heat, add 2-3 tablespoons of oil. While the oil is heating, a medium bowl combine the beans, taco seasoning and cilantro.

Lay a tortilla flat and spread ⅛ cup of the bean mixture into the center, leaving about ½ inch space on each side. sprinkle with cheese and roll, lay seam side down in pan. Repeat for remaining tortillas until you finish the bean mixture. Turn taquitos once, remove from oil when they are golden brown. Serve with guacamole or salsa.

http://gimmedelicious.com/2014/04/19/quick-easy-bean-and-cheese-taquitos/

Black Bean & Sweet Potato Taquitos | Brewing Happiness

These black bean & sweet potato taquitos are sweet, salty, and spicy all rolled into one. It's a fun vegetarian take on this classic Mexican indulgence.
Author: Brewing Happiness
Recipe type: Not So Normal
Serves: 10-15 taquitos
INGREDIENTS
10-15 corn or flour tortillas (if your tortillas are thin, you may want to double them)
1½ cup grapeseed oil
1 can refried black beans (sub regular refried beans)
3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
½ cup light coconut milk
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon cayenne
⅛ teaspoon pepper
1 yellow onion, sliced thin
1 tablespoon olive oil
Toppings:
1 cup greek (or coconut) yogurt
1 lime, juiced
¼ cup cilantro chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons honey
pumpkin seeds
salsa verde
cilantro
INSTRUCTIONS
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in your peeled and chopped potatoes. Continue to boil for 25 minutes.
While your sweet potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add in your thinly sliced onion and sauté for about 10 minutes, or until nice and soft. Take off heat and set aside.
After 25 minutes, drain water and transfer sweet potatoes to a blender or food processor. Add coconut milk, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, cayenne and pepper to the blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
Open your can of refried black beans and begin assembling your taquitos by spreading a THIN layer of black beans, sweet potato puree and a sprinkle of cooked onions in the middle. Roll into a thin cylinder shape and hold closed with a tooth pick. Do this for all 10-15 of your taquitos.
Heat a large pan over medium heat with 1½ cups grapeseed oil (or other frying oil). Once hot add in each taquito, cooking on each side for 30-60 seconds or until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel to drain excess oil.
Remove tooth pick and top with salsa verde, pumpkin seeds, and cilantro.
Gently blend together your greek yogurt, lime juice, cilantro and salt. (DO NOT OVER BLEND.)
Pour over the top, and EAT UP.

I do pinto and just regular mashed potato taquitos, more simply I basically roll up, cook, and top with pico, salsa verde, and cheese. I'm not big on black beans but I am really intrigued about using sweet potatoes. I have never thought to use those yet it sounds really good.

Great recipe. I will try it out, with perhaps a few adjustments. I think the coconut milk needs to be balanced. The spicier the better.

this wasn't meant for the baloney sandwich types.

..from a nice civil sharing of what sounds like a pretty tasty recipe (kind of under-seasoned from the looks of it, but otherwise it looks pretty good) to your usual pseudo-intellectual garbage. How is that view looking down your nose at everyone else? Do you keep your high horse on a vegan diet as well?? Do you have an elevator in your ivory tower or do you use use the stairs???

I do pinto and just regular mashed potato taquitos, more simply I basically roll up, cook, and top with pico, salsa verde, and cheese. I'm not big on black beans but I am really intrigued about using sweet potatoes. I have never thought to use those yet it sounds really good.

Take some sweet potatoes, 1/2" dice them, parboil them for about minutes. Drain, then toss with a mix of oil, chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic. Fry in a skillet until nicely browned (add oil if needed). Serve with chopped cilantro, green onions and some Mexican cheese.

Take some sweet potatoes, 1/2" dice them, parboil them for about minutes. Drain, then toss with a mix of oil, chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic. Fry in a skillet until nicely browned (add oil if needed). Serve with chopped cilantro, green onions and some Mexican cheese.

Sounds great, minus the green onions. :mrgreen:

Another SP recipe? Here it goes.

Peel and dice SP. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne to taste, lemon zest, lemon thyme. Let marinate for up to 30 mins. Bake until tender.
They are just scrumptious.

I dont think so.

Even better, forget the coco milk and replace the sweet potatoes and beans with shredded beef or smoked pork and add some cheese. Perfecto!

Some of us may just want to exchange vegan or vegetarian recipes.
Don't care for it, start a meatlovers monday thread.

Here's the problem with your recipe. In my well stocked kitchen I don't have:

Grapeseed oil, Coconut milk, Yoghurt, Cilantro, Pumpkin seeds.

So no, I cannot follow it closely and improvise. I do make burritos, enchiladas, tacos, fajitas, out of what I have in my kitchen. They usually include red stuff and meat. Mine take a few minutes to prep. Yours look like a lot longer prep time.

FWIW, the only refritos I have ever seen canned were cooked in lard. That's what gives them their distinct flavor. Lard isn't made from unprocessed prairie grass.

So no, I cannot follow it closely and improvise. I do make burritos, enchiladas, tacos, fajitas, out of what I have in my kitchen. They usually include red stuff and meat. Mine take a few minutes to prep. Yours look like a lot longer prep time.

FWIW, the only refritos I have ever seen canned were cooked in lard. That's what gives them their distinct flavor. Lard isn't made from unprocessed prairie grass.

Red stuff and meat are basics. Well stocked goes a bit farther than the usual. Not everyone has access, that is understood. This vegan recipe isn't to everyone's taste, also understood. We all have to adjust to our tastes.
I like international cuisine, Indian is big on coconut milk, cilantro and yoghurt. The rest are staples for me as well. I make my salad dressing with grapeseed oil, and pumpkin seeds go in the granola.

Red stuff and meat are basics. Well stocked goes a bit farther than the usual. Not everyone has access, that is understood. This vegan recipe isn't to everyone's taste, also understood. We all have to adjust to our tastes.
I like international cuisine, Indian is big on coconut milk, cilantro and yoghurt. The rest are staples for me as well. I make my salad dressing with grapeseed oil, and pumpkin seeds go in the granola.

We don't all have to adjust our tastes. I like mine just fine. I have no problems with people who prefer diets that differ from mine.

that's why they have stores. so you can shop

Back
Top Bottom