• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Meat vs. Seafood

I pick

• Total voters
Special dinner for you at high end restaurant. All expenses paid by someone else ~

All expenses...

I'd either fly to Beira, Mozambique and have the local prawns done hopefully by the same seafront Chinese restaurant I once ate at with my family when I was 12 or I'd fly to Calabar, Nigeria and have the freshly caught fish dish I had in a small nondescript "restaurant" (no way would you call it "high end"). That was a large seafish served with local periwinkles and crayfish tails in a spicy pepper sauce and cocoyams.

The important word is "fresh" when I choose fish in a restaurant and I don't mean pulled from an expensive restaurant's aquarium - it has to have been living in its natural environment in the same day it ends up on my plate.

Seafood...always seafood.

Grilled shrimp, broiled scallops, and fried oysters.

There is a place down the road that has what they call a 5-5-5. 5-fried shrimp, 5-fried oysters and 5-fried scallops.

I would prefer broiled, but I can deal with fried just fine.

They also have frog legs and alligator.

I usually get my 5-5-5 and a large Gumbo to go.

Can you guess it is a Cajun place? A little hole in the wall that has great food and not very expensive either.

Gross. Uncivilised creatures with open circulatory systems. Just fluid filled carapaces, with goos and and liquids mixing about. No thank you. I'll consume civilized creatures like vertebrates.

Us Cajuns like to boil our mud bugs (crawfish), then break them in half, suck the head out, then bite the meat out of the tail.

That is the proper technique for eating a mud bug.

However, we always "purge" them before cooking by putting them in the filled bathtub and letting them swim around for a bit to get all of the icky ick out of their systems before cooking them in crab boil with corn ears and little red potatoes.

Then dump the whole thing on spread newspapers and everyone dig in.

It just does not get any better than that.

I think I hear a little Zydeco music in the background.

LOL looks like youre never gonna survive a post apocalyptic world then. :2razz:

I say that same thing to my wife all the time.

She always answers, " That is why I have you, so I do not have to learn how".

it goes well with shrimp

For shrimp I just fry up some garlic and shallots with a pat of butter and some EV olive oil, then either use it as a dip or drizzle it over the shrimps. Does the trick for me. :mrgreen:

For shrimp I just fry up some garlic and shallots with a pat of butter and some EV olive oil, then either use it as a dip or drizzle it over the shrimps. Does the trick for me. :mrgreen:

did you try soy sauce with it ?

I like my shrimp steamed and seasoned with Old Bay.

Then some horseradish/ketchup cocktail sauce on the side for dippin... :thumbs:

This will knock your dick in the dirt.

maxresdefault.jpg

did you try soy sauce with it ?

Soy sauce on its own is too overpowering for shrimp. I would go with tempura sauce instead.

Tempura sauce

Makes about 1 cup of sauce

Ingredients:

3/4 cup dashi stock (like a fish stock)
3 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin
2 tsp sugar
2 inch piece of daikon (or more), peeled (if you cant get daikon then ginger is a good substitute)

I really love baked wild salmon with spices and asparagus on the side. Classic but it does me just fine. If I'm somewhere that it's more affordable, breaded halibut. Not British style with all that caked on batter, but something more delicate.

The only way I'd eat shellfish is in a chowder. Other than that I'm not a fan of bottom feeders.

~ They also have frog legs and alligator ~

Probably better to eat them before they eat you. Can imagine saltwater crocodiles asking bull sharks how they prefer their human beings...

Living in Florida, there is no shortage of seafood.
Gimme the thickest cut steaks and 57...will try an elk fillet if you have it.
I also want to try buffalo...and Ostrich if they count as meat.
I also want to compare grass fed to standard meats and see how much a difference there is.
Now I want second lunch :D

Kinda surprised the seafood vote is double the meat vote.

I hit Kroger at the right time this morning. It's going to be a meat week in this house.

f5f0f473611da49fe14c773dc2201e65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Living in Florida, there is no shortage of seafood.
Gimme the thickest cut steaks and 57...will try an elk fillet if you have it.
I also want to try buffalo...and Ostrich if they count as meat.
I also want to compare grass fed to standard meats and see how much a difference there is.
Now I want second lunch :D

There is a difference between Monsanto cows (lol) and free-range, grass fed beef. There is also a difference in the quality of dairy products as well. Butter made from the milk of grass fed cowcows is superior.

Buffalo is awesome. But as with all game meat, it doesn't have the fat content so it's easy to dry out if you're not careful with cooking.

There is a difference between Monsanto cows (lol) and free-range, grass fed beef. There is also a difference in the quality of dairy products as well. Butter made from the milk of grass fed cowcows is superior.

Buffalo is awesome. But as with all game meat, it doesn't have the fat content so it's easy to dry out if you're not careful with cooking.
I've never cooked buffalo myself, but I have had it in restaurants a few times. Either it's hard to do right, or I'm just unlucky, or both, but I always get dry and almost tasteless.

I've never cooked buffalo myself, but I have had it in restaurants a few times. Either it's hard to do right, or I'm just unlucky, or both, but I always get dry and almost tasteless.

It is hard to do right, but a restaurant should know how to do it right. The issue with any lean meat is that it is very easy to dry it out. Without all the fat to render into the meat while cooking, the techniques become a lot more important. Low fat is easy to dry out.

It is hard to do right, but a restaurant should know how to do it right. The issue with any lean meat is that it is very easy to dry it out. Without all the fat to render into the meat while cooking, the techniques become a lot more important. Low fat is easy to dry out.
I was talking with a lady just a month ago about this. She said she always buys 93/7 or leaner hamburger then is disappointed when her burger and meat loaf are dry. I suggested going to 80/20 or 85/15 for things like burger and mea loaf for this reason (especially the meat loaf).

Special dinner for you at high end restaurant. All expenses paid by someone else. Order anything you wish.

All cuts of meat are available.
Huge assortment of seafood as well.

Only condition is you can't order a surf & turf. No mixing and matching.

You can order the meat of your choice OR the seafood of your choice. (fresh water fish is included in "seafood")

What are you most likely to pick?
Feel free to describe the choice you make too. :mrgreen:

It depends on where the restaurant is located. If there restaurant were in New England or Atlantic Canada, I would choose the seafood. If it was near Kansas City, Memphis or Texas I would ask for the signature beef dish.

Back
Top Bottom