• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Measles Outbreak Feared In New Jersey After Passenger Arrives At Newark Airport With Disease

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
From the local CBS affiliate:

NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – New Jersey officials are scrambling to contain another possible outbreak of the measles after an airline passenger with the illness traveled through a local airport on Christmas Eve.

Officials believe the flyer may have also visited other areas of the airport and anyone who was at Newark Liberty from noon to 4 p.m. may have been exposed to the contagious disease.

It could take until Jan. 14 for someone who was infected by the passenger to develop symptoms of the measles. https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/12/28/measles-outbreak-newark-airport/

An airport is a terrific way to spread a contagious disease, and I only hope that everybody lucks out. I really do. According to Wiki, no other vaccine preventable disease causes as many deaths."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles

Here's the unfortunate news about vaccines: Though the vast majority of vaccines are effective at creating an immunological response and preventing the underlying disease, not all shots end up being 100% effective nor life-long. This is why local governments, like schools, mandate universal vaccination. The closer to 100% vaccination coverage there is, the less likely that an ineffective vaccine shot will have dire consequences for the unfortunate individual.

So I too hope everyone lucks out. Someone who has brought the measles into an airport has a chance at passing it to an elderly person whose immunological toughness has declined, or a young person whose parents decided not to vaccinate against sensible precautions.

Here's the unfortunate news about vaccines: Though the vast majority of vaccines are effective at creating an immunological response and preventing the underlying disease, not all shots end up being 100% effective nor life-long. This is why local governments, like schools, mandate universal vaccination. The closer to 100% vaccination coverage there is, the less likely that an ineffective vaccine shot will have dire consequences for the unfortunate individual.

So I too hope everyone lucks out. Someone who has brought the measles into an airport has a chance at passing it to an elderly person whose immunological toughness has declined, or a young person whose parents decided not to vaccinate against sensible precautions.

I just think "Eeeeeek" when I consider how many people touch the bathroom doors and stuff in the gift shop and...eeeeeek!

From the local CBS affiliate:

NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – New Jersey officials are scrambling to contain another possible outbreak of the measles after an airline passenger with the illness traveled through a local airport on Christmas Eve.

Officials believe the flyer may have also visited other areas of the airport and anyone who was at Newark Liberty from noon to 4 p.m. may have been exposed to the contagious disease.

It could take until Jan. 14 for someone who was infected by the passenger to develop symptoms of the measles. https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/12/28/measles-outbreak-newark-airport/

An airport is a terrific way to spread a contagious disease, and I only hope that everybody lucks out. I really do. According to Wiki, no other vaccine preventable disease causes as many deaths."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles

Measles is dangerous in adults who never got the disease as children. Many adults are not up to date on their booster shots.

in the 50s, Of the 4,000,000 measles case per year, there were about 400 deaths per year or about 1 in 10,000.

In truth, measles is a rather innocuous disease. immunization in children actually, given human behaviour, puts those children who will become adults eventually at serious risk (when they do become adults) given that most adults are not up to date on their boosters. It is better, in my view, to get the disease as a child which gives permanent immunity and then one doesn't have to think about boosters.

Now, one can say, it's their fault for not getting boosters, okay, fine, but I'm looking at it from the vantage point of how people are, not as how they should be.

I had measles back in '56, so I'm immune.

Measles is dangerous in adults who never got the disease as children. Many adults are not up to date on their booster shots.

in the 50s, Of the 4,000,000 measles case per year, there were about 400 deaths per year or about 1 in 10,000.

In truth, measles is a rather innocuous disease. immunization in children actually, given human behaviour, puts those children who will become adults eventually at serious risk (when they do become adults) given that most adults are not up to date on their boosters. It is better, in my view, to get the disease as a child which gives permanent immunity and then one doesn't have to think about boosters.

Now, one can say, it's their fault for not getting boosters, okay, fine, but I'm looking at it from the vantage point of how people are, not as how they should be.

I had measles back in '56, so I'm immune.

"Innocuous disease" is oxymoronic for me. From the World Health Organization:

Measles is a highly contagious, serious disease caused by a virus. Before the introduction of measles vaccine in 1963 and widespread vaccination, major epidemics occurred approximately every 2–3 years and measles caused an estimated 2.6 million deaths each year.

Approximately 110 000 people died from measles in 2017 – mostly children under the age of 5 years, despite the availability of a safe and effective vaccine. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/measles

From the CDC:

Severe Complications
Some people may suffer from severe complications, such as pneumonia (infection of the lungs) and encephalitis (swelling of the brain). They may need to be hospitalized and could die.

As many as one out of every 20 children with measles gets pneumonia, the most common cause of death from measles in young children.

About one child out of every 1,000 who get measles will develop encephalitis (swelling of the brain) that can lead to convulsions and can leave the child deaf or with intellectual disability.

For every 1,000 children who get measles, one or two will die from it. https://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/complications.html

I just think "Eeeeeek" when I consider how many people touch the bathroom doors and stuff in the gift shop and...eeeeeek!

I've been turning into a grouchy old man when it comes to completing a purchase by rubbing my finger on the surface of ipads. Those things should come with a gallon of hand sanitizer. I've actually chosen not to purchase products because of those things. I also only open bathroom doors by using a paper towel, opening the door with it, and quickly throwing it in the trash. And if there's no trash can nearby? Oh well. Not my problem.

Last edited:
I've been turning into a grouchy old man when it comes to completing a purchase by rubbing my finger on the surface of ipads. Those things should come with a gallon of hand sanitizer. I've actually chose not to purchase products because of those things. I also only open bathroom doors by using a paper towel, opening the door with it, and quickly throwing it in the trash. And if there's no trash can nearby? Oh well. Not my problem.

Well, I'm not going to litter, but I do that Lady Macbeth thing. I carry antibacterial wipes in my purse and in my car and am diligent because I have to be. In 2005 I survived a bout with necrotizing fasciitis ("flesh-eating bacteria"), and the thing is that once you've had this, it lurks in your system forever, just waiting for its next opportunity. I wouldn't dream of touching a restaurant menu with using an antibacterial wipe instantly afterward.

What I find hilarious is the grocery stores providing cheap wipes so that shoppers can wipe down the shopping carts. Uh, you're going to be touching stuff the entire time you're in the store--picking up and putting back, as have who knows how many other people. You need to use the bacterial wipes AFTER you've returned the cart and left the store. Duh!

Pro-tip: ATM keypads are filthy too.

Well, I'm not going to litter, but I do that Lady Macbeth thing. I carry antibacterial wipes in my purse and in my car and am diligent because I have to be. In 2005 I survived a bout with necrotizing fasciitis ("flesh-eating bacteria"), and the thing is that once you've had this, it lurks in your system forever, just waiting for its next opportunity. I wouldn't dream of touching a restaurant menu with using an antibacterial wipe instantly afterward.

What I find hilarious is the grocery stores providing cheap wipes so that shoppers can wipe down the shopping carts. Uh, you're going to be touching stuff the entire time you're in the store--picking up and putting back, as have who knows how many other people. You need to use the bacterial wipes AFTER you've returned the cart and left the store. Duh!

Pro-tip: ATM keypads are filthy too.

I'm not losing any sleep over the littering thing, because it's a highly contained situation that a store employee can deal with. If anything, it quickly sends a message that a trash can needs to be placed there.

If you knew the total list of objects that are as bad as a restaurant menu, you might not ever leave the house again.

full vaccination should be required for any kid to attend public or private school or for a person to travel on airplanes. this will do a lot to solve the problem of idiocy.

I'm not losing any sleep over the littering thing, because it's a highly contained situation that a store employee can deal with. If anything, it quickly sends a message that a trash can needs to be placed there.

If you knew the total list of objects that are as bad as a restaurant menu, you might not ever leave the house again.

This is kind of a PSA thread anyway, so why don't you share some of those?

full vaccination should be required for any kid to attend public or private school or for a person to travel on airplanes. this will do a lot to solve the problem of idiocy.

In my state schools do require proof of vaccination. However, school generally begins with kindergarten, and what about those aged 0-5 kids?

Another risk is through animals crossing into this country. TB was reintroduced through cattle coming in through El Paso, and while some states are rigorous in their testing requirements, I don't know that all of them are. Maybe somebody more informed than I does?

This is kind of a PSA thread anyway, so why don't you share some of those?

Well, lessee. Money, of course. And then there are all the condiments on restaurant tables. Shopping carts are bloody awful. Everything dealing with paying for something using a pad (punching in numbers, using the provided stylus, etc.). Literally every square inch on everything in an airplane (you really don't want to know about their "cleaning" protocol or what people use the pull-out trays for)*. Also, how many times have you just opened a can of soda and just drank straight from it without sanitizing the aluminum rim first? The world is a germophobe's nightmare.

But you know, here's something to think about: we come into contact with those things every day, and the only time we actually get sick is when there's a flu epidemic, which suggests we may be blowing this stuff out of proportion.

Fact is, you can take the whole "let's never touch anything ever" principle too far. I was in Scottsdale once and the whole place seemed to perfect an outcome in which nobody need touch anything ever. I can only imagine that children reared there spontaneously combust the instant they leave the city's borders. Touching everything (within reason) is how immunity is built in the first place.

I'm still not going to touch anything in a public bathroom, though.

*Mile high club? Gross gross gross.

In my state schools do require proof of vaccination. However, school generally begins with kindergarten, and what about those aged 0-5 kids?

Another risk is through animals crossing into this country. TB was reintroduced through cattle coming in through El Paso, and while some states are rigorous in their testing requirements, I don't know that all of them are. Maybe somebody more informed than I does?

in my state, i had to show vaccination records and take a TB test to attend grad school. it's possible that they required it for grade school, but i don't remember.

"Innocuous disease" is oxymoronic for me. From the World Health Organization:

Measles is a highly contagious, serious disease caused by a virus. Before the introduction of measles vaccine in 1963 and widespread vaccination, major epidemics occurred approximately every 2–3 years and measles caused an estimated 2.6 million deaths each year.

Approximately 110 000 people died from measles in 2017 – mostly children under the age of 5 years, despite the availability of a safe and effective vaccine. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/measles

From the CDC:

Severe Complications
Some people may suffer from severe complications, such as pneumonia (infection of the lungs) and encephalitis (swelling of the brain). They may need to be hospitalized and could die.

As many as one out of every 20 children with measles gets pneumonia, the most common cause of death from measles in young children.

About one child out of every 1,000 who get measles will develop encephalitis (swelling of the brain) that can lead to convulsions and can leave the child deaf or with intellectual disability.

For every 1,000 children who get measles, one or two will die from it. https://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/complications.html

Using stats from third world countries who have poor sanitation and nutrition is not a fair way to judge the situation in America.

Measles deaths in America is down to a trickle due to vaccinations.

In America, before the vaccine, deaths were about 1 in 10,000 which is what it would be in third world countries had they not been third world countries and those stats you site would be a lot better.

From NIH website:

During the 1950s an annual average of greater than 500,000 cases of measles and nearly 500 deaths due to measles were reported in the United States.

1 in 10,000 would be the average number of deaths. Before the vaccine, measles was considered and innocuous disease and it was known that getting it as a child mean immunity for life, and had it not been considered innocuous,many mothers would not have held "measles parties" that were popular during the 50s, which were designed to intentionally give children the measles so that they would be immune.

How do I know this? I got the measles from one of those 50s parties, and I am now immune and I thank my mother for it. I didn't start school until 1957 so having gotten it a year earlier, mom didn't have to worry about be getting it ever again. Mothers would not have done this had they considered measles to be a deadly disease. it is NOT a deadly disease, when the numbers are one in 10,000.

I trust natural immunity over that of the vaccine ( not saying no to the vax, either, but still, just sayin' ).

Last edited:
And yet we know literally thousands of illegal immigrants have settled into communities and go to public places and no one thinks that is a cause of concern. Measles, polio, diphtheria, tuberculosis, malaria, scabies, dengue, and Zika outbreaks have occurred in the US and other countries that have brought in unscreened immigrants and refugees.

People can get annoyed and even angry when Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carey talk about the 'dangers' of immunization', but when it comes to the actual cause of the outbreaks.....

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

And yet we know literally thousands of illegal immigrants have settled into communities and go to public places and no one thinks that is a cause of concern. Measles, polio, diphtheria, tuberculosis, malaria, scabies, dengue, and Zika outbreaks have occurred in the US and other countries that have brought in unscreened immigrants and refugees.

People can get annoyed and even angry when Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carey talk about the 'dangers' of immunization', but when it comes to the actual cause of the outbreaks.....

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Helix said:

Does nothing when people hang out at walmart, parks, restaurants, etc.

considering that most jobs require a bit of education, my suggestion would address that problem, as well.

Door handles, money, that's not all.
How many of the things you bring home do you clean? Jar of PB, jug of milk, can of beans, lotion, vitamins...how many people have touched the container, sniffles and all?

my guess is that both of those kids are vaccinated because smart people do that.

I get it. Never mind. Since you would have to address the problem with illegal immigration its really not that big a deal after all..........

Just a few comments/questions, nothing more

What's the number of non vaccinated people in the US these days? How does herd immunity factor in? Lets, i.e. assume that Mom and daughter came to pick up grandpa at the airport where an infected person, although not fully symptomatic, coughed and sneezed about. The family mingles during Christmas, goes to parties, visits Santa at the mall..
For the first 10 to 14 days after you're infected, the measles virus incubates. You have no signs or symptoms of measles during this time.
Nonspecific signs and symptoms. Measles typically begins with a mild to moderate fever, often accompanied by a persistent cough, runny nose,

we have to consider that
someone with measles coughs, sneezes or talks, infected droplets spray into the air, where other people can inhale them.
The infected droplets may also land on a surface, where they remain active and contagious for several hours. You can contract the virus by putting your fingers in your mouth or nose or rubbing your eyes after touching the infected surface.

Now here is an interesting stat
About 90 percent of susceptible people who are exposed to someone with the virus will be infected.
It is quite worrisome that not everyone is vaccinated, regardless of immigration status, of course. I am not sure how many of our illegal population is vaccinated. Probably less when they are living in a sanctuary state of city. Not sure about our homeless population either.

Risk factors for measles include:

Being unvaccinated. If you haven't received the vaccine for measles, you're much more likely to develop the disease.
Traveling internationally. If you travel to developing countries, where measles is more common, you're at higher risk of catching the disease.
Having a vitamin A deficiency. If you don't have enough vitamin A in your diet, you're more likely to have more-severe symptoms and complications.
source

Door handles, money, that's not all.
How many of the things you bring home do you clean? Jar of PB, jug of milk, can of beans, lotion, vitamins...how many people have touched the container, sniffles and all?

Exactly. I understand that over-sanitizing also creates problems. Yes, indeed!

I do happen to be a special case, though: My life depends on my being as conscientious as I sanely can be.

Back
Top Bottom