• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Measles Outbreak Feared In New Jersey After Passenger Arrives At Newark Airport With Disease

And yet we know literally thousands of illegal immigrants have settled into communities and go to public places and no one thinks that is a cause of concern. Measles, polio, diphtheria, tuberculosis, malaria, scabies, dengue, and Zika outbreaks have occurred in the US and other countries that have brought in unscreened immigrants and refugees.

Another example: Pertussis ("whooping cough"), once nearly eradicated in the United States, is back and at least one reason is the introduction of new strains of the bacterium. And most of us first heard of "MRSA" in the early 2000's. Now cellulitis is almost a commonplace. I was part of that community-origin outbreak:

This increase in the incidence of MRSA infection has been associated with the recognition of new MRSA clones known as community-associated MRSA (CA-MRSA). CA-MRSA strains differ from the older, health care-associated MRSA strains; they infect a different group of patients, they cause different clinical syndromes, they differ in antimicrobial susceptibility patterns, they spread rapidly among healthy people in the community, and they frequently cause infections in health care environments as well. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2901661/

Another example: Pertussis ("whooping cough"), once nearly eradicated in the United States, is back and at least one reason is the introduction of new strains of the bacterium. And most of us first heard of "MRSA" in the early 2000's. Now cellulitis is almost a commonplace. I was part of that community-origin outbreak:

This increase in the incidence of MRSA infection has been associated with the recognition of new MRSA clones known as community-associated MRSA (CA-MRSA). CA-MRSA strains differ from the older, health care-associated MRSA strains; they infect a different group of patients, they cause different clinical syndromes, they differ in antimicrobial susceptibility patterns, they spread rapidly among healthy people in the community, and they frequently cause infections in health care environments as well. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2901661/
We should DO someth...err...this is an acceptable risk if it means bringing in millions of illegal immigrants.

Just a few comments/questions, nothing more

What's the number of non vaccinated people in the US these days? How does herd immunity factor in? Lets, i.e. assume that Mom and daughter came to pick up grandpa at the airport where an infected person, although not fully symptomatic, coughed and sneezed about. The family mingles during Christmas, goes to parties, visits Santa at the mall..

i had to look it up. it looks like our vaccination rates are pretty high.

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/21/17588032/vaccination-rates-united-states

herd immunity helps, but it fails if enough people don't get vaccinations.

Herd immunity (Herd protection) | Vaccine Knowledge

i had to look it up. it looks like our vaccination rates are pretty high.

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/21/17588032/vaccination-rates-united-states

herd immunity helps, but it fails if enough people don't get vaccinations.

Herd immunity (Herd protection) | Vaccine Knowledge

It was just this fall when NC has an outbreak of chicken pox because a 'hotbed' of anti-vaxxers had their children infected

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/20/health/nc-school-chickenpox-outbreak-bn/index.html

Andrew Wakefield did a lot of damage.

Yes,he did,..we must also give Jenny McCarthy a mention there, because ex-playmates know so much more science than actual doctors.

Yes,he did,..we must also give Jenny McCarthy a mention there, because ex-playmates know so much more science than actual doctors.

she also perpetuated the vaccine / autism myth.

From the local CBS affiliate:

NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – New Jersey officials are scrambling to contain another possible outbreak of the measles after an airline passenger with the illness traveled through a local airport on Christmas Eve.

Officials believe the flyer may have also visited other areas of the airport and anyone who was at Newark Liberty from noon to 4 p.m. may have been exposed to the contagious disease.

It could take until Jan. 14 for someone who was infected by the passenger to develop symptoms of the measles. https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/12/28/measles-outbreak-newark-airport/

An airport is a terrific way to spread a contagious disease, and I only hope that everybody lucks out. I really do. According to Wiki, no other vaccine preventable disease causes as many deaths."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles

I noticed that it was not somebody from the "caravan". What point am I trying to make? The vast majority of illegal immigration comes from those who arrive by plane or boat and overstay their visas. And disease definitely came by way of airplane here. It is time to shut down all the airports and not let anybody fly here anymore.

Yea, that's the ticket. Let's put walls on all the runways. :mrgreen:

From the local CBS affiliate:

NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – New Jersey officials are scrambling to contain another possible outbreak of the measles after an airline passenger with the illness traveled through a local airport on Christmas Eve.

Officials believe the flyer may have also visited other areas of the airport and anyone who was at Newark Liberty from noon to 4 p.m. may have been exposed to the contagious disease.

It could take until Jan. 14 for someone who was infected by the passenger to develop symptoms of the measles. https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/12/28/measles-outbreak-newark-airport/

An airport is a terrific way to spread a contagious disease, and I only hope that everybody lucks out. I really do. According to Wiki, no other vaccine preventable disease causes as many deaths."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles

Guess what? The Centers for Disease Control are closed.
Government shutdown.

And you can also thank all the anti-government types who think enforced vaccinations are an attack on freedumb even when agencies like CDC are open. FACT: The United States will be LUCKY if we don't get hit by a massive pandemic during this exercise in Republican stupidity, and if we do, Republicans should all be held personally responsible for encouraging it.

The National Weather Service is only PARTIALLY in operation during the shutdown, too...with employees working for no pay.
Perfect time for a massive weather emergency.

You people are playing Russian roulette with the nation's safety and security.

And yet we know literally thousands of illegal immigrants have settled into communities and go to public places and no one thinks that is a cause of concern. Measles, polio, diphtheria, tuberculosis, malaria, scabies, dengue, and Zika outbreaks have occurred in the US and other countries that have brought in unscreened immigrants and refugees.

People can get annoyed and even angry when Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carey talk about the 'dangers' of immunization', but when it comes to the actual cause of the outbreaks.....

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Of course if we're processing people coming across the border, we should be vaccinating them too.
Oops, that costs money, good luck getting Republicans to allow money for it.

She knows as much about science as Trump and the Trumpians. Remember, he's smarter than the generals, so that means he is also smarter than doctors, too. He's pretty much the smartest man on Earth. ;)

News flash: We liberals have our share of idiots, the difference is, we KNOW that they're idiots and say so.
You guys put them in office and worship them.
Jenny McCarthy didn't even make it to a second season on The View.

Measles outbreak = Antibiotic Resistance??

Here's the unfortunate news about vaccines: Though the vast majority of vaccines are effective at creating an immunological response and preventing the underlying disease, not all shots end up being 100% effective nor life-long. This is why local governments, like schools, mandate universal vaccination. The closer to 100% vaccination coverage there is, the less likely that an ineffective vaccine shot will have dire consequences for the unfortunate individual.

So I too hope everyone lucks out. Someone who has brought the measles into an airport has a chance at passing it to an elderly person whose immunological toughness has declined, or a young person whose parents decided not to vaccinate against sensible precautions.

Fact #1 - 90% of the population which is not immune to measles will contract the infection.

Fact#2 - 1 in every 5 individuals infected by measles develops complications.

Fact#3 - Measles is a highly contagious air borne disease - which means the virus ARE circulating in the air you breathe

Even though today we have powerful antibiotics and vaccines on our side that help destroy disease-causing pathogens, the wrong/overusage of these antibiotics have given rise to antibiotic-resistance microbes. Simply put, this is a breed of pathogens which has grown resistant to the use of vaccines and antibiotics, gradually evolving to be stronger with the passage of time.

According to WHO, antibiotic resistance is a major global healthcare issue as it is increasing the severity and growth of deadly bacterial invasions such as tuberculosis, pneumonia, salmonellosis etc. Another factor adding to the rise of antibiotic resistance is the use of these drugs in poultry animals, which are consumed by human beings.

This is one of the most prominent reasons why measles and other infectious diseases are killing thousands worldwide every year.

I noticed that it was not somebody from the "caravan". What point am I trying to make? The vast majority of illegal immigration comes from those who arrive by plane or boat and overstay their visas. And disease definitely came by way of airplane here. It is time to shut down all the airports and not let anybody fly here anymore.

Yea, that's the ticket. Let's put walls on all the runways. :mrgreen:

But I don't want to derail the thread with a discussion of how to prevent illegal immigration; that isn't why I began the thread.

I've been turning into a grouchy old man when it comes to completing a purchase by rubbing my finger on the surface of ipads. Those things should come with a gallon of hand sanitizer. I've actually chosen not to purchase products because of those things. I also only open bathroom doors by using a paper towel, opening the door with it, and quickly throwing it in the trash. And if there's no trash can nearby? Oh well. Not my problem.

I take the opposite tack.

After one of those encounters, I lick my hands clean. I figure that the exposure inoculates me.

Guess what? The Centers for Disease Control are closed.
Government shutdown.

And you can also thank all the anti-government types who think enforced vaccinations are an attack on freedumb even when agencies like CDC are open. FACT: The United States will be LUCKY if we don't get hit by a massive pandemic during this exercise in Republican stupidity, and if we do, Republicans should all be held personally responsible for encouraging it.

The National Weather Service is only PARTIALLY in operation during the shutdown, too...with employees working for no pay.
Perfect time for a massive weather emergency.

You people are playing Russian roulette with the nation's safety and security.

Don't you ever call me "you people." I'm not; I'm one unique individual with her own opinions and thoughts. And I wasn't thinking at all about the CDC or "Republican stupidity" or anything else than the Belgian who arrived in New Jersey with measles, theoretically spreading the disease in an airport, meaning that travelers from everywhere could potentially be spreading this infectious disease everywhere. Measles--and polio (six cases in Minnesota reported a few years ago) and pertussis, etc.--don't recognize political affiliation.

Of course if we're processing people coming across the border, we should be vaccinating them too.
Oops, that costs money, good luck getting Republicans to allow money for it.
The bigger problem is not with the legal immigrants but the millions of illegal immigrants. But I would completely agree that that should be a fully funded component of ANY reasonable immigration policy. ALL legal immigrants MUST be immunized.

The bigger problem is not with the legal immigrants but the millions of illegal immigrants. But I would completely agree that that should be a fully funded component of ANY reasonable immigration policy. ALL legal immigrants MUST be immunized.

Everyone caught crossing needs to be immunized, not just the legal ones. You just mentioned that the illegals are numerous.
It is folly to pretend that we aren't interacting with them every day.

I take the opposite tack.

After one of those encounters, I lick my hands clean. I figure that the exposure inoculates me.

A. - Yuck!

B. - You may actually be correct. Some studies have shown that childhood diseases drop with an increase in cleanliness BUT rise again if the level of cleanliness continues to rise past a certain point.

A. - Yuck!

B. - You may actually be correct. Some studies have shown that childhood diseases drop with an increase in cleanliness BUT rise again if the level of cleanliness continues to rise past a certain point.

Except it really only works that well if Sangha were a child for the most part, which he isn't.
But yes, you're correct, it IS INDEED the "Supermom Syndrome" where Supermoms keep their homes so sterile that a child's immune system begins to taper off and not do its job. That's when you encounter kids who almost become "bubble kids" who cannot sustain contact with the various mild pathogens in the outside world at all.
The bubble they are forced to live in is really a very poor artificial facsimile of what their own immune system should be doing.

These Supermoms don't allow their kids to come into contact with anything, ever. The slightest stain or bit of dirt is immediately sanitized and scrubbed out of existence, and their precious little charges aren't allowed to play in the dirt or touch anything foreign whatsoever, and contact with outside people is limited as well.

The immune systems in these little tykes never get challenged, never get exercised, so they become largely dormant.

Everyone caught crossing needs to be immunized, not just the legal ones. You just mentioned that the illegals are numerous.
It is folly to pretend that we aren't interacting with them every day.
I dont disagree.

Funny, most of these outbreaks hit people who are vaccinated.

Back
Top Bottom