• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Meanwhile, in Land of Small Government..They Debate a Bill To Require Sports Teams to Play the National Anthem

AFrench2

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I call these "fluff bills". They mean nothing. They improve nobodies life. They add nothing of value to us here in Texas. They're not even real legislation by real politicians, it's just bullshit so they can Tweet things about how they support America or whatever. They can tweet that they're working hard for Texans (when they're not doing anything or working at all, just getting a paycheck)

The party of Small Government, ladies and gentlemen. Requiring corporations to play the national anthem.

Requiring members of sports teams to engage in specific speech based on its content?

Sounds like the exact thing I would expect from people who always bray about how much more they love the constitution than anyone else.

You cannot make people do what they do not want to do.

Many schools no longer require students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance each morning.

Why?

Because many students refuse to.

Why?

I won't go there in this post.

So if a venue does not want to play the national anthem, why make them?

Everything (everything!) is changing in this nation.

No use trying to force the new population to do certain things.

Requiring members of sports teams to engage in specific speech based on its content?

Sounds like the exact thing I would expect from people who always bray about how much more they love the constitution than anyone else.
You're obnviously correct that this is free speech and the courts will toss it if it manages to get passed and signed. They know that it doesn't stand an ice cubes chance in Hades but the base eats this culture war nonsense up.

You're obnviously correct that this is free speech and the courts will toss it if it manages to get passed and signed. They know that it doesn't stand an ice cubes chance in Hades but the base eats this culture war nonsense up.
And that's my point. It's just ammo to tweet about and let the base get riled up. But it's nothing.

They're not even governing.

I call these "fluff bills". They mean nothing. They improve nobodies life. They add nothing of value to us here in Texas. They're not even real legislation by real politicians, it's just bullshit so they can Tweet things about how they support America or whatever. They can tweet that they're working hard for Texans (when they're not doing anything or working at all, just getting a paycheck)

The party of Small Government, ladies and gentlemen. Requiring corporations to play the national anthem.

There is no party of small government in anything like a position of power in the US.

I agree this is a stupid waste of time, but it's sad that the tweeter in the OP couldn't even try to be accurate about the proposed law. I would prefer to see a law prohibiting the expediture of public funds on professional sports.

You cannot make people do what they do not want to do.

Many schools no longer require students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance each morning.

Why?

Because many students refuse to.

Why?

I won't go there in this post.

So if a venue does not want to play the national anthem, why make them?

Everything (everything!) is changing in this nation.

No use trying to force the new population to do certain things.

Doing it everyday for 12 years is a bit much. I'd like to see schools do it on particularly meaningful days: Veteran's Day, 9/11, MLK's birthday, Juneteenth, Confederate Memerial Day - chortle.

At least they aren't using these moments to beat up on transgender youth, although I'm sure they'll find time for that.

Back
Top Bottom