• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Meanwhile here in New Mexico...

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
The National popular vote is inching closer to reality for America. Woot!

National popular vote measure clears first hurdle in House

State Rep. Georgene Louis, who grew up in Acoma Pueblo, said she and other Native Americans often were told, “Your vote doesn’t matter.”

She believes a lot of people in America feel that way, she said Wednesday to other members of the House State Government, Elections and Indian Affairs Committee, particularly during presidential elections when the Electoral College trumps the popular vote.

That’s why Louis, an Albuquerque Democrat, said she joined fellow Democrats on the committee to vote 6-3 in favor of a bill to elect the U.S. president by popular vote.​

State Rep. Georgene Louis, who grew up in Acoma Pueblo, said she and other Native Americans often were told, “Your vote doesn’t matter.”

She believes a lot of people in America feel that way, she said Wednesday to other members of the House State Government, Elections and Indian Affairs Committee, particularly during presidential elections when the Electoral College trumps the popular vote.

That’s why Louis, an Albuquerque Democrat, said she joined fellow Democrats on the committee to vote 6-3 in favor of a bill to elect the U.S. president by popular vote.​

I have long argued that your vote does not matter when other mechanisms can come into play and give an election to a candidate with a lesser number of votes. How do we call ourselves a democracy under those conditions? One person, one vote, add them together nationally and there's your winner, period. What was written a couple hundred years ago doesn't work that well today in a country of over three hundred million people. Republicans will undoubtedly object because they know the party as a whole is a minority in america and not growing.

Candidates would certainly like to abolish the Electoral College.

Then they would have to campaign in only a few populous states (California, New York, Florida, Texas, etc.).

That mayor from Indiana who thinks he's Presidential material because he's gay thinks the EC should be abolished too.

Democrats are so determined to make our Prez elections be determined by a few (liberal) states.

The GOP will fight that tooth and nail, if they can. The power of the parties seesaws around 50/50, but if the requisite number of states passed that bill they'd be effectively locked out of the WH.

That mayor from Indiana who thinks he's Presidential material because he's gay thinks the EC should be abolished too.

Democrats are so determined to make our Prez elections be determined by a few (liberal) states.

"The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy." -Donald J. Trump
"The Electoral College is actually genius in that it brings all states, including the smaller ones, into play." - Donald J. Trump
"If the election were based on total popular vote I would have campaigned in N.Y. Florida and California and won even bigger and more easily" - Donald J. Trump

If you're wondering what point I'm making with these quotes, so am I.

Why does it seem like nobody ever stops to ask the question why the most populous states also tend to be the more liberal ones?

People like you need to realize something......it the populations of California, New York and Illinois decided to disperse evenly across this country, Republicans would be basically ****ed, and the voting pool in say Montana or Iowa wouldn't be able to carry the same electoral weight they do today.

IF a political revolution was actually gonna happen in this country, all it would really take would be a willing group of liberals to come an gentrify a few Midwest states, and Republicans would be all but irrelevant politically.

He doesn't think he's presidential material 'because he's gay'.

Odd that you'd feel compelled to mischaracterize what he's said.

All you need is 3/4 of the states to ratify that in an amendment

Shouldn’t be too hard...right?

You know who elects their Leader by popular vote ? Russia
Anyway, States like Texas, California and New York would elect our Presidents then, and voters who live in smaller less populated States would get screwed.

Their votes definitely wouldn't matter. How is this better again ?

I have long argued that your vote does not matter when other mechanisms can come into play and give an election to a candidate with a lesser number of votes. How do we call ourselves a democracy under those conditions? One person, one vote, add them together nationally and there's your winner, period. What was written a couple hundred years ago doesn't work that well today in a country of over three hundred million people. Republicans will undoubtedly object because they know the party as a whole is a minority in america and not growing.

Yeah the GOP has benefited I think four times where the popular vote was overridden by the electoral college. They absolutely love minority rule and cementing in aristocracy with the argument of "Oh it's class warfare and class jealousy".

Uh.. no. I doesn't.

All it takes is states totalling 50.1 percent of the total electoral college vote to pass this legislation. And they are getting close. This is not a constitutional amendment. Sorry. The EC stays in place. It just becomes useless.

You know who elects their Leader by popular vote ? Russia

They also helped your boy get elected so you should love it. russia also stuffs their ballot boxes so your comparative is beyond bull****. Unless of course the GOP is stuffing ballot boxes like their russian heroes. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Anyway, States like Texas, California and New York would elect our Presidents then, and voters who live in smaller less populated States would get screwed.

Their votes definitely wouldn't matter. How is this better again ?

A bunch of debunked bullcrap. But then, the brainwashed will never see the light.

Yeah the GOP has benefited I think four times where the popular vote was overridden by the electoral college. They absolutely love minority rule and cementing in aristocracy with the argument of "Oh it's class warfare and class jealousy".

ClassWarfare_n.jpg

GOP can't win a fair election so they turn elections into a game and then game that system. EC votes, gerrymandering. Without these they are waaaaaaayyy in the minority politically as they already are in reality.

Then they would have to campaign in only a few populous states (California, New York, Florida, Texas, etc.).

Not true. Besides... the big states have the biggest EC vote so... that kind of ruins your notion right there. Right now they only campaign the the traditional 5 "swing states" and that's about it. Without the EC there isn't red and blue walls. Every state counts and every vote in that state counts. Should also increase turnout because republicans in California then have a vote that matters unlike now. And dems in Texas Nebraska have votes that actually count, unlike now.

Exactly

And the middle states will have less and less say in who run the country....no thanks

The electoral college works....it gives every state a voice....big and small....yes, California gets more votes, as it should....but only so many more

The GOP will fight that tooth and nail, if they can. The power of the parties seesaws around 50/50, but if the requisite number of states passed that bill they'd be effectively locked out of the WH.

These mother****ers crave splitting all the red states into two states just to game the EC system and gain two extra senators per state.

You should actually read. IT's state by state laws that leave the EC in place but renders it useless.

Wait til the people vote for one candidate and get another. Talk about your vote not counting. I wonder who they're going to blame for surrendering their representation?

These mother****ers crave splitting all the red states into two states just to game the EC system and gain two extra senators per state.

I really am conflicted on the EC.

On one hand, a large part of it was driven by the same fear that drove the 3/5ths compromise: slave states didn't want to get marginalized because they thought people were property.

On the other hand, part of it was still a more general concern about population-heavy states dominating low-population states.

Hand in hand, but the second isn't necessarily invalid without the first. I have no idea how to fix it. But if this proposal goes through, for better or worse, their asses are locked out of the hot seat. And after Trump, it might take me a decade or two to complain. If "they" could do it to "us", they would.

(quotation marks because I have been unfairly accused by others of playing sides when, in fact, there is a distinct they and us when it comes to the ES, which may or may not align with other "us"es and "they"s

I really am conflicted on the EC.

On one hand, a large part of it was driven by the same fear that drove the 3/5ths compromise: slave states didn't want to get marginalized because they thought people were property.

On the other hand, part of it was still a more general concern about population-heavy states dominating low-population states.

Hand in hand, but the second isn't necessarily invalid without the first. I have no idea how to fix it. But if this proposal goes through, for better or worse, their asses are locked out of the hot seat. And after Trump, it might take me a decade or two to complain. If "they" could do it to "us", they would.

(quotation marks because I have been unfairly accused by others of playing sides when, in fact, there is a distinct they and us when it comes to the ES, which may or may not align with other "us"es and "they"s

Read the Answering Myths section of the NPV site.

They also helped your boy get elected so you should love it. russia also stuffs their ballot boxes so your comparative is beyond bull****. Unless of course the GOP is stuffing ballot boxes like their russian heroes. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

A bunch of debunked bullcrap. But then, the brainwashed will never see the light.

Who debunked it ? Not you. You people lost one election and have been throwing a non-stop tatrum ever since.

If Hillary had pulled out a win, idiot and butthurt Democrats wouldn't be calling for the dissolution of the EC.

Who debunked it ?

Reality.

giphy.gif

Now it's on the move in Colorado...

Colorado Senate passes bill favoring popular vote over Electoral College

The Colorado Senate this week passed a bill that would award the state's electoral votes to the presidential candidate who wins the nationwide popular vote.

The Senate passed the measure along party lines in a 19-16 vote Tuesday, sending the bill to the state House for consideration.

The bill, known as the the national popular vote interstate compact, was sponsored by state Sen. Mike Foote (D), would require Colorado members of the Electoral College to cast their vote for the winner of the national popular vote.​

Back
Top Bottom