• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Meaning of Christmas

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I got into a debate with someone about this earlier, and thought I'd get a broader prospective.

What is the true meaning of Christmas to you and your family? For me, though the literal translation of the word Christmas means "Mass of Christ", it is not a celebration of the birth of Christ, as my family is not religious (not atheist, mind you, but I currently consider myself agnostic). Also, when Christ was actually born is disputable...many believe he was actually born in the spring.

For my family, Christmas is a time to celebrate each other...the fact that we are all alive and healthy, and able to enjoy each others' company.

Many feel the "true" meaning of Christmas is forgotten in the hustle and bustle of trees and lights, presents and cookies. I say the true meaning of Christmas is what you and your family make of it, if you even celebrate anything on that day at all.

How about the rest of you?

Christmas (Yule) is a time of reflection and celebration of life for my family. A time to stop and smell the flowers if you will, and watch the turning point of Earths seasons (Solstice). As much of my extended family is Christian we also celebrate the Birth of the Christ, (He was an awesome guy) with Grandparents, for the benefit of both them, and the children. Our Kids are well aware of the meaning of Christmas/Yule/Solstice.....and are getting a taste of Jewish practice this year as well. Next year we will try a little Kwanza in the mix, so they get a better understanding of what beauty there is in the meaning behind these celebrations.

My wife and I will continue to Celebrate the Solstice as we have for many years, and focus on the Yule....but that does not mean our Kids will go that route. Generally, we are of the mind that this is a chance to be happy and reflective on those things we love in our lives.....and thankful for the move towards spring.

Hear, hear! I think it's wonderful that you're showing your children that there are other celebrations out there, and that they all have significant meanings. It's always a good thing to be a well educated, well rounded individual.

galenrox said:
[mod mode]
:smash:
Stace, your request has been granted (like that comes as a suprise!), this thread's been moved to religion and philosophy!
[/mod mode]

Thank you, kind sir! :mrgreen:

Well most of my family, and my iimediate family are Christians. Most of them, are pretty much naive to the real reason behind Christmas, I think. I only know of one or two members of my family that are church-goers. Even though there's no biblical edict, or any reasonable proof to show that Jesus was born at December 25, they all celebrate it. They say it's a day to be good to one another, and honor your neighbor. I say it should be like that everyday. Christmas means nothing to me, I don't give any gifts, or expect them. I don't need a holiday as an excuse to be nice to my fellow human.

Originally, Christmas was celebrated to replace the pagan winter festival. Today, Christmas is a joyful celebration with it's emphasis on family bonding.

liberal1 said:
Originally, Christmas was celebrated to replace the pagan winter festival. Today, Christmas is a joyful celebration with it's emphasis on family bonding.

No, today Christmas is an excuse for people to flaunt there wealth and buy more and more material things. Thanksgiving is a family holiday because there's no presents and money isn't an issue. It's just a nice dinner with your family.

The holiday season in general is just battle of the divided. Every dividing beaurocratic religion for itself!

Back
Top Bottom