• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McSally tells supporters to 'fast a meal' and donate to her campaign

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) told her supporters to “fast a meal” and donate to her reelection effort during a recent event, a comment that sparked backlash, which her campaign later dismissed as a "joke."

The Republican senator, who is facing a fierce challenge from Democratic opponent Mark Kelly, made the remarks during an event in northern Arizona, according to an audio recording obtained by outlet Arizona's Family on Friday.

“We're doing our part to catch up, you know, to get our message out. But it takes resources,” McSally said. “So, anybody can give, I'm not ashamed to ask, to invest. If you can give $1, $5, if you can fast a meal and give what that would be.”

The remarks stirred backlash among critics online, causing the senator’s name to trend on Twitter on Saturday morning with nearly 30,000 tweets.
Singer-songwriter and writer Holly Figueroa O’Reilly called McSally’s remarks “sick.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm just speechless

Brilliant idea! Go without food so you can support me and my tax cuts for billionaires.

Starve to maybe own the libs.

Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) told her supporters to “fast a meal” and donate to her reelection effort during a recent event, a comment that sparked backlash, which her campaign later dismissed as a "joke."

The Republican senator, who is facing a fierce challenge from Democratic opponent Mark Kelly, made the remarks during an event in northern Arizona, according to an audio recording obtained by outlet Arizona's Family on Friday.

“We're doing our part to catch up, you know, to get our message out. But it takes resources,” McSally said. “So, anybody can give, I'm not ashamed to ask, to invest. If you can give $1, $5, if you can fast a meal and give what that would be.”

The remarks stirred backlash among critics online, causing the senator’s name to trend on Twitter on Saturday morning with nearly 30,000 tweets.
Singer-songwriter and writer Holly Figueroa O’Reilly called McSally’s remarks “sick.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm just speechless

“We're doing our part to catch up, you know, to get our message out.

It doesn't matter what she does

The growing Hispanic population will be her demise

Brilliant idea! Go without food so you can support me and my tax cuts for billionaires.

Talking about a tax cut?

What about the 44% who pay NADA in a Fed Tax?

She may earn the dubious distinction of losing two different senate races.

I'm just speechless

There is already 626,000 adults in AZ who are "fasting" (going hungry) and another 311,000 children. Maybe McSally should contact the adults and say "Hey, you owe me retro!". I can understand skipping the children.

There is already 626,000 adults in AZ who are "fasting" (going hungry) and another 311,000 children. Maybe McSally should contact the adults and say "Hey, you owe me retro!". I can understand skipping the children.

Somehow, I don't believe that. Food is one of the cheapest things we have in America.

Somehow, I don't believe that. Food is one of the cheapest things we have in America.

Tell that to these thousands of people lined up in their cars waiting for free food. And, these are only what we've been witnessing in Texas. Food banks across the country are struggling to keep up with the overwhelming demand for food.

Screenshot-2020-08-23-food-lines-in-texas-Google-Search.jpg

Last edited:

I'm just speechless

She is such an annoying, whiny bitch. Not to mention stupid as ****. It saddens me that she is a retired Air Force officer. How shameful.

I'll be glad when she is gone.

This story won't mean much to anyone, but I'll tell it anyway. A reporter that was at one of these food banks was interviewing some of the people in cars waiting in line for hours. He went to the car of a young black woman wearing a mask. She told him that she's trying to support herself and her kids alone. She said she lost her job and was using her credit cards to buy food and pay the rent. Then the government check for $1200 came and she was relieved.

I have to describe that the attitude of this young woman to this point in the interview was upbeat but exasperated, still with a smile in her voice. She went on to say that once the $1200 was spent, she went late in her rent payments and is facing eviction. She suddenly went from a woman who was strong and working against all odds to a collapsed, weeping, desperate woman as she suddenly sobbed, "I just don't know what to do."

My heart broke into a billion pieces for that young woman and her story is repeated millions of times every day by someone in this country. The majority of Americans are fortunate, they have a safety net of some sort, many have none at all. The American conscience should be awake by now, but it's not.

If nothing else, we can all do something about it. Food banks are overwhelmed and they are running out of resources. They just can't continue to go on this way without some assistance from the federal government in some form. The waste is almost impossible to fathom. Mounds of produce rot in fields because farmers aren't able to transport it to market. Thousands of gallons of milk are dumped because there's no way to get it to consumers. Yet, so many food banks are struggling to stock their shelves as more unemployed Americans are reaching out for assistance every day.

So, I'll ask anyone that wishes to help to contribute that $1 that Martha McSally wants you to skip a meal for her re-election campaign, to a food bank instead. This organization 'Feeding America' is a nationwide network of 200 food banks and 60,000 food pantries and meal programs across this country. I'll just borrow Trump's words; "what do you have to lose?"

Your impact: $1 = 10 meals
Every dollar you give can provide at least 10 meals to families in need through the Feeding America network of food banks.

How Do Food Banks Work? | Feeding America

This story won't mean much to anyone, but I'll tell it anyway. A reporter that was at one of these food banks was interviewing some of the people in cars waiting in line for hours. He went to the car of a young black woman wearing a mask. She told him that she's trying to support herself and her kids alone. She said she lost her job and was using her credit cards to buy food and pay the rent. Then the government check for $1200 came and she was relieved.

I have to describe that the attitude of this young woman to this point in the interview was upbeat but exasperated, still with a smile in her voice. She went on to say that once the $1200 was spent, she went late in her rent payments and is facing eviction. She suddenly went from a woman who was strong and working against all odds to a collapsed, weeping, desperate woman as she suddenly sobbed, "I just don't know what to do."

My heart broke into a billion pieces for that young woman and her story is repeated millions of times every day by someone in this country. The majority of Americans are fortunate, they have a safety net of some sort, many have none at all. The American conscience should be awake by now, but it's not.

If nothing else, we can all do something about it. Food banks are overwhelmed and they are running out of resources. They just can't continue to go on this way without some assistance from the federal government in some form. The waste is almost impossible to fathom. Mounds of produce rot in fields because farmers aren't able to transport it to market. Thousands of gallons of milk are dumped because there's no way to get it to consumers. Yet, so many food banks are struggling to stock their shelves as more unemployed Americans are reaching out for assistance every day.

So, I'll ask anyone that wishes to help to contribute that $1 that Martha McSally wants you to skip a meal for her re-election campaign, to a food bank instead. This organization 'Feeding America' is a nationwide network of 200 food banks and 60,000 food pantries and meal programs across this country. I'll just borrow Trump's words; "what do you have to lose?"

Every dollar you give can provide at least 10 meals to families in need through the Feeding America network of food banks.

What can you eat for ten cents?

I might think about it if all the various forms of Gov welfare would not exist

I might think about it if all the various forms of Gov welfare would not exist

These people are hardly welfare recipients. They're people like your next door neighbor, your kid's school teacher, the mechanic at your garage that does your oil change. Not everyone qualifies for Medicaid or food subsidies. Even the SNAP food assistance program was proposed to be slashed by Trump for 2021. the change would lead to nearly 700,000 people losing their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits. But, the Republicans have 'shelved' this option during the pandemic.

Two of the most important things that are not counted in inflation figures is fuel and food. If anyone here is the grocery shopper for their homes, you know as I do that the price of food has risen dramatically in the past two years. Even the lady at the cashier in the supermarket exclaimed "wow I can't believe how much food prices went up."

Last edited:
These people are hardly welfare recipients. They're people like your next door neighbor, your kid's school teacher, the mechanic at your garage that does your oil change. Not everyone qualifies for Medicaid or food subsidies. Even the SNAP food assistance program was proposed to be slashed by Trump for 2021. the change would lead to nearly 700,000 people losing their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits. But, the Republicans have 'shelved' this option during the pandemic.

Perhaps these people can go to Food bank Churches?

I have one right down the street?

I'm just speechless

Good to hear how desperate she is. I eagerly await her total destruction.

It doesn't matter what she does

The growing Hispanic population will be her demise

More like women voters. She is not too well liked in AZ, she lost to Sinema, she will lose to Kelly.

Back
Top Bottom