• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McDonald's Worker Says She Was Required to Receive Pay on Fee-Laden Debit Card

I hope she wins. She should.

I hope that franchise gets fined out of existence. That's just stupid.

I hope that franchise gets fined out of existence. That's just stupid.

Not only is the owner stupid but very greedy as well as well as criminal. I do hope this worker takes them to court and squeezes McDonald's for as much as she can get!

While I read the article, I have never been involved with an employer that didn't offer direct deposit. In fact, most employers would prefer it.

I used to work for a retailer that paid with the loadable debit cards. It wasn't that huge of a deal - not nearly as much as this girl is making it out to be. If you don't want direct deposit, you get the card. Lots of employers of low-level jobs are going this route, because usually low-level jobs are held by kids who don't have bank accounts. It's almost impossible to cash a check without a bank account, so it was done to (1) save money on paper checks, and (2) make it easier for people to get the money.

Also, with our employees, the money was loaded on the account. You didn't have to use the card. You could use a ComChek, which is what truckers use. Could you imagine trying to get paid from your company in New Hampshire, and you were in Arizona? That's how ComChek came to be. ComCheks are blank checks that can be picked up at truck stops, or even possibly offered by the employer. You take the blank check, call the payroll company, give them the check number and your employee number, and she validates the check for the amount you want it validated for. Then you take it to the cashier at the truck stop and she cashes it for you - usually for a fee of .99 cents.

If she didn't want to use the card, and didn't want to use ComChek, and couldn't do direct deposit, she should have done what I always told my hourly employees - if you have been paid, say, $175 - go to the ATM and take out $160, or even $170 if you can find one that dispenses tens. Then you don't have tons of fees - just the one. If she was only allowed to get pay out in twenties, the remainder of her pay would be left in the account until she got paid again.

It's really not that big of a deal. She only worked for 3 weeks, and got paid. Sounds like she just didn't want to work for McDonald's, not that I blame her.

While I read the article, I have never been involved with an employer that didn't offer direct deposit. In fact, most employers would prefer it.

I used to work for a retailer that paid with the loadable debit cards. It wasn't that huge of a deal - not nearly as much as this girl is making it out to be. If you don't want direct deposit, you get the card. Lots of employers of low-level jobs are going this route, because usually low-level jobs are held by kids who don't have bank accounts. It's almost impossible to cash a check without a bank account, so it was done to (1) save money on paper checks, and (2) make it easier for people to get the money.

Also, with our employees, the money was loaded on the account. You didn't have to use the card. You could use a ComChek, which is what truckers use. Could you imagine trying to get paid from your company in New Hampshire, and you were in Arizona? That's how ComChek came to be. ComCheks are blank checks that can be picked up at truck stops, or even possibly offered by the employer. You take the blank check, call the payroll company, give them the check number and your employee number, and she validates the check for the amount you want it validated for. Then you take it to the cashier at the truck stop and she cashes it for you - usually for a fee of .99 cents.

If she didn't want to use the card, and didn't want to use ComChek, and couldn't do direct deposit, she should have done what I always told my hourly employees - if you have been paid, say, $175 - go to the ATM and take out $160, or even $170 if you can find one that dispenses tens. Then you don't have tons of fees - just the one. If she was only allowed to get pay out in twenties, the remainder of her pay would be left in the account until she got paid again.

It's really not that big of a deal. She only worked for 3 weeks, and got paid. Sounds like she just didn't want to work for McDonald's, not that I blame her.
I think you missed the point of the article. The point is that she didn't have a choice. There was no direct deposit option. There was no paper check option. Their was no cash option. The only option was the fee-laden debit card. (Managers had a choice, lower level workers such as her did not.)

I have no issue whatsoever with a debit card being offered as a choice. I have a serious issue with it being the sole option. People shouldn't be required to pay fees... not even one... to access what is at this point their own money.

Well if McDonalds was the only place doing this, you might have a point, but a lot of companies with low-level employees do this. All she has to do is go to an ATM and take all the money out at once - with just one small fee - and problem solved. It's not like they are taking a lot of money. $1.50 for an ATM fee isn't going to kill anybody, if she does it just one time.

I think you missed the point of the article. The point is that she didn't have a choice. There was no direct deposit option. There was no paper check option. Their was no cash option. The only option was the fee-laden debit card. (Managers had a choice, lower level workers such as her did not.)

I have no issue whatsoever with a debit card being offered as a choice. I have a serious issue with it being the sole option. People shouldn't be required to pay fees... not even one... to access what is at this point their own money.

You pay fees every time you use an ATM. It's not any less your money, than the money on a prepaid debit card.

Well if McDonalds was the only place doing this, you might have a point, but a lot of companies with low-level employees do this. All she has to do is go to an ATM and take all the money out at once - with just one small fee - and problem solved. It's not like they are taking a lot of money. $1.50 for an ATM fee isn't going to kill anybody, if she does it just one time.

Pay people with debit cards?

I think not...

Forget cards, that **** is illegal.

It would be about the same as running a FRANCHISE and paying the employees under the table.

How did the IRS not catch on? oh yeah because they're a bunch of idiots focused on attacking conservative groups - not places that hire illegal aliens...

Pay people with debit cards?

I think not...

Where you been? It's happening, a lot more than you think.

Walmart is one of the biggest employers in the country, if not the biggest, and they pay by prepaid debit.

No, problem not solved. Problem still exists.

I know of other companies that do this as an option. I am aware of no other companies that do this solely.

I am also aware of payment via fee-free debit cards, and I suspect that that is what most other companies do that you are referring. The debit card aspect by itself is fine. (It doesn't help that the employer neglected to look for a decent deal for their employees)

You pay fees every time you use an ATM. It's not any less your money, than the money on a prepaid debit card.
The difference is choice. When you open a bank account you are making a conscious choice to pay fees, if necessary.

When you earn $150 in wages, getting only $148.50 isn't $150. You've been short-changed, and the fact that a third party is doing the short-changing doesn't matter.

The amount of the fee is 100% irrelevant. You earned 'x' dollars, you should get 'x' dollars.

Side note: McDonald's is being unfairly characterized in this issue. It's not the parent corporation doing this, it's an individual franchise owner. (General comment)

She knew about this before she signed up. It's part of the new-hire paperwork. I did this for a retailer for years. It's part of the new-hire paperwork.

If she didn't want to do it, she shouldn't have taken the job.

Where you been? It's happening, a lot more than you think.

Walmart is one of the biggest employers in the country, if not the biggest, and they pay by prepaid debit.

I'm a general contractor/accountant/graphic artist among other skills - if someone tried to pay me with a debit card I would not accept it...

Furthermore I have never heard of such a thing...

I get paid in checks all the time but that is normal - this **** makes no sense.

I'm a general contractor/accountant/graphic artist among other skills - if someone tried to pay me with a debit card I would not accept it...

Furthermore I have never heard of such a thing...

I get paid in checks all the time but that is normal - this **** makes no sense.

Once again, and with feeling - this primarily happens with low-level employees. The two biggest employers in the US are paying this way.

Once again, and with feeling - this primarily happens with low-level employees. The two biggest employers in the US are paying this way.

McDonalds are "franchises", or in laymens terms small businesses.

McDonalds isn't at fault the owner of the franchise is... Not only that but how the hell did the owner get away with it?

This has to be a hoax.

My mother did accounting for every franchise in northern Illinois - this story is impossible.

She knew about this before she signed up. It's part of the new-hire paperwork. I did this for a retailer for years. It's part of the new-hire paperwork.

If she didn't want to do it, she shouldn't have taken the job.
Oh, so that's the standard? An employer can effectively short-change an employee if the employee agrees to it? If so, notify employers all over the country. This is great news for them! No more breaks, as long as the employee agrees to it beforehand as a condition of employment. No more costly safety precautions, as long as the employee agrees to it beforehand as a condition of employment. :roll:

I won't dispute that other employers pay with debit cards. Some do. Do they, however, pay via cards that have unavoidable fees attached? Can you answer that? Also, is the debit card option the ONLY option for these employees? Can you answer that?

Not all debit cards are created equal.

McDonalds are "franchises", or in laymens terms small businesses.

McDonalds isn't at fault the owner of the franchise is... Not only that but how the hell did the owner get away with it?
Nobody challenged it.

Pay via debit card itself isn't illegal (nor should it be). The unavoidable fees involved are what's at question.

Nobody challenged it.

Pay via debit card itself isn't illegal (nor should it be). The unavoidable fees involved are what's at question.

Sorry you just cant pay someone with a debit card out of spite and without someone noticing like accountants...

What happened to the payroll check????

This makes no sense whatsoever.

Sorry you just cant pay someone with a debit card out of spite and without someone noticing like accountants...

What happened to the payroll check????

This makes no sense whatsoever.
The world is ever-changing. Paying via debit card, in and of itself, is a relatively new form of valid and legitimate payment.

The world is ever-changing. Paying via debit card, in and of itself, is a relatively new form of valid and legitimate payment.

What?

Americans have to pay a fee to use an ATM machine?? Wow.

It's impossible...

Direct deposit is one thing but debit cards are another .... I suppose it is possible to compensate someone that way but it would be stupid....

Is anyone who posts here familiar with business accounting practice?

Back
Top Bottom