• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McDonald's May Drop Health Insurance: Report

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
The restaurant chain is at odds over the new law's stipulation that so-called "mini-med" insurance plans spend at least 80 percent of premium revenue on medical care, the newspaper said on its website on Wednesday.

McDonald's told federal regulators in the memo that it would be "economically prohibitive" for its insurance carrier to continue to cover hourly workers unless it receives a waiver to the 80 percent minimum requirement, the Journal reported.

Federal officials say there is no guarantee a waiver will be granted, it said.

Good job Congress! Way to hurt innocent workers! Hope you scumbags are proud of yourselves!

McDonald's May Drop Health Insurance: Report - ABC News

I would like to know just how Obamacare is/has ruined anything. Insurance companies are paracites and have brought this upon themselves. If there is one thing health insurance companies should not be, it is for profit. Making billions off the sick is immoral and evil. It demonstrates the sickness of greed in this country. Healthcare CEO's are making more than physicians! That is mad.

Key Health Care Laws begin this Thursday, Ins. Co's drop kids | NowPublic News Coverage
~snip
Some of the key components that start this Thursday include:

Young people will be able to stay on their parents’ health insurance plans up to age 26
Insurance companies can no longer drop people from coverage when they become sick and need it most
No discrimination against children with pre-existing conditions

Four of the bigger insurance companies have decided that insuring children with pre-existing problems is not profitable, so they have chosen to drop children from their insurance rolls ahead of the Laws that will take affect on Thursday. Insurers including WellPoint and CoventryOne have announced in recent days that they're dropping children's coverage in California, Colorado, Ohio and Missouri, according to Health Care for America Now (HCAN).

"We’re just days away from a new era when insurance companies must stop denying coverage to kids just because they are sick, and now some of the biggest changed their minds and decided to refuse to sell child-only coverage," HCAN Executive Director Ethan Rome said in a statement. "The latest announcement by the insurance companies that they won't cover kids is immoral, and to blame their appalling behavior on the new law is patently dishonest.

"Instead, they should reverse their actions immediately and simply follow the law. If the insurance companies can casually turn their backs on sick children now, who will they abandon next? This offensive behavior by the insurance companies is yet another reminder of why the new law is so important and why the Republicans’ call for repeal is so misguided."

Because the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act did not provide a public health care option to compete with these, for profit and greed health insurance companies that really do have “Death Panels“, taxpayers will end up paying even more for those that are sick through higher premiums and tax payer subsidies.

But that is how the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act was designed, no competition, and billions in subsidies to the for profit health insurance companies.

The anti-health care reform people can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that all the hate and hysteria they created last summer over health care reforms worked, the shareholders that they fought for, without even knowing it, will make more money. They are true patriots willing to sacrifice their children, their grandparents and even themselves when the time comes that they can no longer get health insurance.

These Tea Party anti Obamacare “folk” who did the bidding of the, for profit health insurance companies, are willing to allow people who are sick, to lose their insurance, or those that are already sick, to go without any health care coverage altogether. Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh and everyone at Fox News are also willing to see people go without coverage.

I would like to know just how Obamacare is/has ruined anything. Insurance companies are paracites and have brought this upon themselves. If there is one thing health insurance companies should not be, it is for profit. Making billions off the sick is immoral and evil. It demonstrates the sickness of greed in this country. Healthcare CEO's are making more than physicians! That is mad.

Well, it starts with instituting policies that force insurance companies to raise premiums. I'd rather not have to pay more for my insurance and health care, but that's just me. Maybe you like to pay more for inferior service.

Well, it starts with instituting policies that force insurance companies to raise premiums. I'd rather not have to pay more for my insurance and health care, but that's just me. Maybe you like to pay more for inferior service.

Could you show/demonstrate to me exactly how/where this is going to happen vs just "telling me".

Could you show/demonstrate to me exactly how/where this is going to happen vs just "telling me".

No, you have no interest or desire to understand. The action of McD's should be enough for you to step back and maybe look hard at the issue. Instead you act as if their action is unwarranted. That they are just looking to make a quick buck on false pretense. It is obvious that for you, the issue isn't "Showing/demonstrating" it's giving you something so you can claim that the poster is wrong, Obamacare isn't causing this, it's corporate greed. You don't believe insurance should be for profit, you have set your stance. I advise others not to waste the time "showing" you anything. You aren't interested.

a senior fed ex employee told me his firm is planning to phase out of its current health care insurance coverage
it's a 'best value' determination of the firm
there is no indication that fed ex will expect to provide fewer dollars for the health care coverage of its staff

Good job Congress! Way to hurt innocent workers! Hope you scumbags are proud of yourselves!

McDonald's May Drop Health Insurance: Report - ABC News

I do not see why it is a employer's responsibility in the first place to provide their employees with health insurance. If an employee is injured on the job or there is a job related injury then sure that company should pay the medical expenses of that employee, I think that is called worker's comp.

Amazing in 2001 they could afford a 22.16% increase yet today's 6% increase is different because?

Wait...so you're upset that the law prohibits inefficient insurance policies? It's unaffordable for McDonald's to buy insurance unless more than 20% of their premiums are wasted on bureaucratic crap?

EDIT: Turns out it's not even true.

The company called reports that it will drop health care coverage "completely false" in an email to Reuters on Wednesday evening.

"McDonald's is committed to providing competitive pay and benefits," Steve Russell, the company's head of human resources, said in an emailed statement.

I do not see why it is a employer's responsibility in the first place to provide their employees with health insurance.

I fully agree with this but my anger isnt because of that, its because McDonald's is having a hard time trying to comply with another Obamacare mandate, thats why they are considering dropping their health benefits for their employees. Government forced their hand in this, this is what pisses me off.

No, you have no interest or desire to understand. The action of McD's should be enough for you to step back and maybe look hard at the issue. Instead you act as if their action is unwarranted. That they are just looking to make a quick buck on false pretense. It is obvious that for you, the issue isn't "Showing/demonstrating" it's giving you something so you can claim that the poster is wrong, Obamacare isn't causing this, it's corporate greed. You don't believe insurance should be for profit, you have set your stance. I advise others not to waste the time "showing" you anything. You aren't interested.

Just as I suspected. I cared enough to preface my question to you with information. But, you are correct as there is nothing you can show me to change my mind that insurance companies unadulerated greed has brought this forth. I am a nurse with 33+ yrs. in the field. I have seen what insurance companies have done. I have seen what doctors have done to game the system. I have seen how hospitals game the system. They are all wrong. Healthcare should not be a commodity. Period.

Just as I suspected. I cared enough to preface my question to you with information. But, you are correct as there is nothing you can show me to change my mind that insurance companies unadulerated greed has brought this forth. I am a nurse with 33+ yrs. in the field. I have seen what insurance companies have done. I have seen what doctors have done to game the system. I have seen how hospitals game the system. They are all wrong. Healthcare should not be a commodity. Period.

Sure. I believe you.

Wait...so you're upset that the law prohibits inefficient insurance policies? It's unaffordable for McDonald's to buy insurance unless more than 20% of their premiums are wasted on bureaucratic crap?

EDIT: Turns out it's not even true.

False rumor started by the right to bash Obamacare some more?

Key Health Care Laws begin this Thursday, Ins. Co's drop kids | NowPublic News Coverage
~snip

I can quickly point out why it's dumb.

It continues the thought process that, mandates covering men for pregnancy and women for prostate exams, is a public good.

Absolutely. Increased requirements on the insurance companies means increased costs to do business. Since profit margins are pretty thin, they will either fold or raise premiums. If they fold, competition and customer service across the board will suffer. I believe that was the objective of this "health care" bill, with single payer being the ultimate goal. Since most Americans don't want single payer, democrats are content with running everybody else out of business.

The next best thing to help them down the road is for insurance companies to raise premiums. Then they'll be using that as a club on their heads, hoping the people will come crawling to the democrats for relief.

McDonald's employees should strike.
The corporation is plenty rich enough to take care of them; it's just choosing not to.
"Economically prohibitive", my ass.
Let's see how economically prohibitive it is when all the cashiers and fry-cooks walk out, leaving the CEOs to cook the McNuggets themselves.
Hourly workers have an amazing amount of power, when they organize.
The entire company is built on the sweat of their labor.

Last edited:
Totally unrelated, but I visited the only McDonalds in the world last weekend that has a union!

It's in Squamish, British Columbia. :D

The Burger International

McDonald's employees should strike.
The corporation is plenty rich enough to take care of them; it's just choosing not to.
"Economically prohibitive", my ass.
Let's see how economically prohibitive it is when all the cashiers and fry-cooks walk out, leaving the CEOs to cook the McNuggets themselves.
Hourly workers have an amazing amount of power, when they organize.
The entire company is built on the sweat of their labor.
Of course, if you work at Maccas, you probably need that money pretty badly.

It's the workers curse under capitalism. Labor gets crushed between high living costs and low wages while the barons enrich themselves and calcify the aristocracy.

Of course, if you work at Maccas, you probably need that money pretty badly.

It's the workers curse under capitalism. Labor gets crushed between high living costs and low wages while the barons enrich themselves and calcify the aristocracy.

You could probably make more money panhandling than as an hourly worker at McDonalds.
I mean, you wouldn't make enough there to actually live on, unless you were crammed illegally into an apartment with fifteen other McDonalds fry cooks.
And you could just as easily get a job at the fast-food restaurant down the street... or better yet, go to Labor Ready and do day labor, make some real money.

You could probably make more money panhandling than as an hourly worker at McDonalds.
I mean, you wouldn't make enough there to actually live on, unless you were crammed illegally into an apartment with fifteen other McDonalds fry cooks.
And you could just as easily get a job at the fast-food restaurant down the street... or better yet, go to Labor Ready and do day labor, make some real money.
Same wage slavery, different location.

If you're an adult, not in management and still working at McDonald's, there isn't much hope for you. (not you but you in general)

Those type of jobs aren't meant to be lived on.

If you're an adult, not in management and still working at McDonald's, there isn't much hope for you. (not you but you in general)

Those type of jobs aren't meant to be lived on.

My point.
It's not as if the hourly wage-earners "can't afford" to go on strike.
They're not living off what they make there, anyway.

My point.
It's not as if the hourly wage-earners "can't afford" to go on strike.
They're not living off what they make there, anyway.

That's true but they're mostly kids which can be covered under their parent's plan.
So it shouldn't be a big deal.

Usually the older adults that work there are, near retirement or use it as a transition job.

Back
Top Bottom