• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McDonald's kiosks

EnigmaO01

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Anybody been to McDonald's lately? In case your'e smart enough not to eat their food and haven't been there for a while many of them now, including the one in my town, you have to order by Kiosk with a touch screen and everything is clear until your two choices left are "cancel" and "add to order." That's it. No other responses. So I'm standing there and thinking, "no, I don't want to cancel my order, but I don't want to add to it either." So where the hell is "go to check out" or "pay now?" *&^%$#@!
Who is the idiot or committee that screwed that up with thousands of Kiosks? I mean even a grade school kid could tell you that makes no sense. Does anyone else feel that way? And just in case you're wondering "add to order" takes you to both an option to add to your order and pay. Does that make sense to anyone?
Now I have a theory, but it’s just that. Maybe with the only option being “add to order” and “cancel” they want you to be more inclined to order more if you click on that?

Do you have a response, point to your photo, or just a photo?

Anybody been to McDonald's lately? In case your'e smart enough not to eat their food and haven't been there for a while many of them now, including the one in my town, you have to order by Kiosk with a touch screen and everything is clear until your two choices left are "cancel" and "add to order." That's it. No other responses. So I'm standing there and thinking, "no, I don't want to cancel my order, but I don't want to add to it either." So where the hell is "go to check out" or "pay now?" *&^%$#@!
Who is the idiot or committee that screwed that up with thousands of Kiosks? I mean even a grade school kid could tell you that makes no sense. Does anyone else feel that way? And just in case you're wondering "add to order" takes you to both an option to add to your order and pay. Does that make sense to anyone?
Now I have a theory, but it’s just that. Maybe with the only option being “add to order” and “cancel” they want you to be more inclined to order more if you click on that?

Is that the bigger problem or is it that you likely put bad germs on your fingers as you used the kiosk right before you went to eat with your fingers?

THis reminds me of Chipotle almost completely forgetting about the basics of food safety.

I've used the kiosks at some airport. They confused a lot of people but, overall, it wasn't a bad experience....as far as McDonald's goes.

I think they’re pretty nifty and very handy if you’re travelling and are in a bind because you can change the language on them.

We got into Berlin at close to midnight, new city, don’t speak the language, 2 hungry, jet lagged kids, worked out well with that kiosk.

I've used them a few times (not bragging). Pretty easy to use quite frankly.

I think they’re pretty nifty and very handy if you’re travelling and are in a bind because you can change the language on them.

We got into Berlin at close to midnight, new city, don’t speak the language, 2 hungry, jet lagged kids, worked out well with that kiosk.

It’s McDonald’s, just point and grunt like they do here!

Edit: What’s Big Mac in German?

Wash your hands before you get your food. Seriously, I bet none of you washed your hands before using it. No one else did either.

There are some nasty dirty people out there.

The kiosks are like the self checkouts at grocery stores. The first times you use them it can be confusing as hell.

Wash your hands before you get your food. Seriously, I bet none of you washed your hands before using it. No one else did either.

We're too clean as a species anyways.

Is there any way you could avoid all this font manipulation? It makes your posts very hard for us old guys to read.

I doubt it is any less nasty than the germs on the door to enter the restaurant or the germs on the money being exchanged. But it is a good practice to wash your hands before eating. Not that I always remember to do that.

The other day I got to thinking...how many people wash their belt buckles? Seriously, you got to the bathroom, do your business, buckle your pants back up, and THEN wash your hands.

We're too clean as a species anyways.

I was watching one lady hold her little boy up so he could push the buttons, while he is choosing his hand is in his mouth and wiping his nose. Yeah no thanks.

I'm no clean freak but I have seen one study that said the kiosks are about the same clean as the toilet in the store.

The kiosks are like the self checkouts at grocery stores. The first times you use them it can be confusing as hell.

I disagree. I have no problems whatsoever with the ones at the grocery store. At least when I'm done with my choices at the grocery store, there is an option for check out or pay now As many of you didn't address Add to order and Cancel are not those.

Last edited:
I doubt it is any less nasty than the germs on the door to enter the restaurant or the germs on the money being exchanged. But it is a good practice to wash your hands before eating. Not that I always remember to do that.

The other day I got to thinking...how many people wash their belt buckles? Seriously, you got to the bathroom, do your business, buckle your pants back up, and THEN wash your hands.

Probably true, never thought about the buckle thing. I do open the door with the paper towel I used to dry my hands. Not touching that after washing.

I have used them and have the same complaint and belief

I expect it is there to make people order more, the first time I used it a few years ago, I was searching for the spot to go to pay for the order until I just clicked the add to order and saw the proceed to check out

There have been a few kiosks we wern’t familiar with while traveling abroad. Sometimes it is baffling trying to get the display to change to your language.

More acute at say a subway system at rush hour with the locals lining up behind you. In London the language isn’t the problem...

There was a study just a short time ago, 95% of the tested kiosks at MCDs tested positive for fecal matter

Is there any way you could avoid all this font manipulation? It makes your posts very hard for us old guys to read.

What font manipulation? I don't see any nor did I attempt to do so. Could it be your computer?

I don't do the McD's trick very often but the last couple of times the store offered both the kiosk and the traditional counter.
Didn't see much difference.

Probably true, never thought about the buckle thing. I do open the door with the paper towel I used to dry my hands. Not touching that after washing.

Many public facilities use forced air; what’s the plan then? Should be “PUSH” to exit.....

Many public facilities use forced air; what’s the plan then? Should be “PUSH” to exit.....

I don't use those either, if I see one I go get a real thick pile of napkins to dry my hands.

I'm not at public bathrooms that much.

Back
Top Bottom