• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McDonald's is shutting down its Russian restaurants

I think I get the idea here but some of this “cancel” anything Russian mentality doesn’t make much sense.
For a lot of these companies it is also just a practical decision due to all of the sanctions they either cannot do business or the rapid decline in the value of the ruble has made it unprofitable.

None of this will matter to Putin but it does matter to the 60+ thousands who lost their jobs. It's going to take the Russian people to stop Putin......
I believe affecting the general morale of the Russian people is a goal. Problem is most Autocrats seem to get around the sanctions personally flying in new BMW and fresh lobster. It's the general population who suffer economically.

This is it! Putin's definitely going to surrender now!
Did you forget "Russian obesity levels projected to plummet" and "Russian incidences of cardiac disease projected to decline"?

How on Earth does someone manage to conclude that McDonald's is doing this with the expectation of Putin Russia surrendering? Maybe they have newly developed reasons for not wanting to do business with Russia no matter what happens.

Duh.

🤦‍♂️
Does the term "virtue signalling" have any meaning to you?

And they will have to raise their prices to adjust for the value of the ruble. It won't be easy on anyone. We should be counting our blessings here in the good ole USA.
Only if they are relying on supplies from outside of Russia (or supplies that are "officially" supplied by the McDonald's chain at prices set by the McDonald's chain.

Of course, since Russia doesn't produce either of the beef, chicken, wheat, tomatoes, pickles, salt, milk, sugar, "artificial flavour enhancers" and "genuine imitation ersatz artificial meat substitute product extender" that go into those nourishing McDonald's products, I guess that that means that the Russian McDonald's outlets jushavta "Buy American".

Depends on whether McDonald's choose to supply them?
And, if McDonald's doesn't "choose to supply them" then McDonald's is in fundamental breach of their contracts with the outlets.

So, relying on "force majeure" the outlets can then "purchase locally" the products which McDonald's is failing to supply.

Of course, McDonald's COULD cancel the franchise agreements and then sue the Russian franchise owners, in Russian courts, under the terms of Russian Law, if the franchise owners continue to operate as "McDonald's".

If the Russian government revokes McDonald's trademark protection, then McDonald's isn't very likely to succeed - is it?

On the other hand, they could simply "rebrand" as "Mukhin's", adopt

WHITE RABBIT.JPG
as their main corporate meme.

Why they could even have the "Hambungler"

HamBungler.JPG

for comic relief.

PS - Mr. Trump says that Moscow is located at 46.73°N 117.00°W and should be niked imediutly to teach them Rushunz a lessen.

Does the term "virtue signalling" have any meaning to you?

Maybe, maybe not. But why mock it?

There's no belief that it will make Putin give up. But every little thing that saps the Russian peoples' toleration of the regime... 🤷

The main criticism of my position is that I am advocating for a situation in which Russians have less unhealthy food. So.. I dunno.

For a lot of these companies it is also just a practical decision due to all of the sanctions they either cannot do business or the rapid decline in the value of the ruble has made it unprofitable.
Maybe. I was just going off that link that said McDonald’s gave in to pressure.

Cool.

Shut down the US McDonald's as well until the US ends its occupation of Iraq.

I'd support it.(y)

Maybe, maybe not. But why mock it?

There's no belief that it will make Putin give up. But every little thing that saps the Russian peoples' toleration of the regime... 🤷
Actually I give a whole lot of credit to the "Well, if we don't do it we will lose a lot of business in the US." explanation.

Whether not being able to get
  1. a Bun (consisting of unbleached enriched wheat flour, water, yeast, corn meal and corn flour, salt, sugar, vegetable oil (soybean and/ or canola), and that may contain any or all of the following in varying proportions: wheat gluten, barley malt or malted barley flour, wheat gluten, calcium propionate, potassium sorbate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, citric acid, diacetylated tartaric acid esters of mono- and diglycerides, calcium silicate, enzymes, ascorbic acid, calcium citrate, tricalcium phosphate, corn starch, and wheat starch), with
  2. a (battery farmed) egg, and
  3. a "Processed Cheese Slice" (consisting of milk, modified milk ingredients, bacterial culture, salt, microbial enzyme, lipase, modified milk ingredients, water, sodium citrate and/or sodium phosphate, salt, potassium sorbate, citric acid, soy lecithin, and colour [annatto]), that is
  4. toasted in the same toaster that also prepares other bun containing butter and egg, and which
  5. may contain milk and egg."
will "sap the Russian people's toleration" is an interesting question.
The main criticism of my position is that I am advocating for a situation in which Russians have less unhealthy food. So.. I dunno.

None of this will matter to Putin but it does matter to the 60+ thousands who lost their jobs. It's going to take the Russian people to stop Putin......
McDonald's is going to keep paying them. I don't know for how long.

Burger King in Russia took a different route and just announced that they will now be called Burger Czar-- hoping to capitalize on the retreat of McDonald's from Russia.

I hear taco bell is expanding into the Ukraine. They are all making a run for the border.

Too soon???

I know, I feel bad but Putin has to be pressured by the people. It's war, if they dont want it, they need to stop it. They need to be protesting in the streets, costing money and resources to deal with, giving Putin another front to fight on. And he doesnt give a shit about them so he'll be very heavy-handed. There's no one to hold him accountable for it either. :(

Ikea closed their stores earlier and said they'd keep paying the employees. I think that's bad strategy...the people need to be unemployed, need whatever form of public assistance they have, not be able to afford to heat their homes, etc. They need to feel the pain of deprivation and pressure Putin. They're not experiencing anything like the Ukraines.

I have nothing against the Russian people. The Goodwill Games was here in Seattle in the 1988 and thru my job I met loads of visiting Russians. They were super nice and all complained about the living conditions there (still during the Cold War & communism.) I wish much much better for them.

I think I get the idea here but some of this “cancel” anything Russian mentality doesn’t make much sense.
The business side of it I get; companies aren't going to want the negative press. The symbolic stuff like throwing out vodka bottles etc. is a bit daft. It's important to remember that the Russian people aren't a monolith, and we know many of them are out protesting the war.

Honestly, this is for the better. I mean, the Russians now have a chance to get healthier.

People say this has Trump scrambling to find a new political relocation destination.

Back
Top Bottom