• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McDonald's Happy Meal Toys to be Banned in San Francisco?

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
McDonald's Happy Meal Toys to be Banned in San Francisco?

by Zachary Shahan

We know that fast food is bad for us. It's filled with excessive calories, sodium and fat. It's "meals" are often based largely on meat, which is very damaging to the environment as well as our health.

Yet, we seem to think it's completely alright to use toys and other kid-oriented incentives to entice children to eat fast food and get them hooked on the habit early. McDonald's, alone, spends hundreds of millions a year on toy promotions.... And it rakes in $40-50 billion a year from kids 12 and under, plus another $670 billion on "family" purchases.

Well, apparently some folks in San Francisco have decided that this is completely inappropriate and predatory marketing.

Last week, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors Land Use Committee voted 3-0 in favor of an ordinance (PDF) to limit toy giveaways in children's meals that have excessive calories, sodium and fat.

McDonald's Happy Meal Toys to be Banned in San Francisco? | Reuters

Another example of certain folks thinking they know better than you. Statism and tyranny.

But I'd bet their cool with replacing it with a joint with Ronald McDonald's face on it.

No Erod, they wouldn't actually put a rolled up joint into the happymeal - that's too much of a "processed" type thing. They'll give away a little "maryjane" kit, complete with a small biodegradable seed starter container, a pack of 4 assorted hybrid pot seeds, a sealed bag of miracle-gro seed starter soil, a little direction booklet, and a $3 off coupon for King Pin rolling machine and some Bob Marley rolling papers from rollingpaperswarehouse.com. Perfect for show and tell California style.

Now that's what I call a "happy" meal.

Another example of certain folks thinking they know better than you. Statism and tyranny.

it bothers me when we are in agreement ...

no doubt a sizable portion of our nation needs to eat a more nutricious diet
but this is another indicator of the nanny state gone mad

it bothers me when we are in agreement ...

no doubt a sizable portion of our nation needs to eat a more nutricious diet
but this is another indicator of the nanny state gone mad

That tingly feeling, and that boost in light around you? That's what happens when you agree with the Greatness that is the Good Reverend. :pimpdaddy:

No Erod, they wouldn't actually put a rolled up joint into the happymeal - that's too much of a "processed" type thing. They'll give away a little "maryjane" kit, complete with a small biodegradable seed starter container, a pack of 4 assorted hybrid pot seeds, a sealed bag of miracle-gro seed starter soil, a little direction booklet, and a $3 off coupon for King Pin rolling machine and some Bob Marley rolling papers from rollingpaperswarehouse.com. Perfect for show and tell California style.

Now that's what I call a "happy" meal.

if only they would make this the senior special

Wow. Pizza Hut must have one hell of a lobbyist in San Fransisco.

Interesting that a city in a state that almost legalized marijuana is trying to control how people eat. You want incentive to eat fast food? Talk about munchies.

Wah no toy in my happy meal! This is worse than when Stalin stole our cabbages.

It doesn't matter if it's deemed a "big deal" or not banning happy meals... It's still and open and shut case of progressives in San Francisco taking away liberty and freedom from both McDonalds and from their customers, because they believe they know what's best for people.

It's just plain wrong, and totally against the principals of this country.

It's the difference between liberty and prohibition, It's good to know you side with the nanny statists.

Prohibition? Don't you think thats a little dramatic? Prohibiting fast food would be prohibition. No toy so kids don't develop into obese burger addicts as adults doesn't quite qualify. Who knows.

Liberty... freedom.... mah McDonalds toi!

Prohibition? Don't you think thats a little dramatic? Prohibiting fast food would be prohibition. No toy so kids don't develop into obese burger addicts as adults doesn't quite qualify. Who knows.

Salt, trans fats, smoking, where does it end? Seriously, at what point would you say "This is too much"?

Commercial advertising targeted to children should be banned in general. There is simply no excuse for it: People wouldn't tolerate some sleaze siding up to their kids to sell them useless junk on the street, but they allow the same thing into their homes in the form of corporate advertising targeted at children. It's detrimental to society and provides zero compensatory benefit.

Raising a child is a parents responsibility, not the states. The government has no business interfering in this way.

You either support freedom and liberty, or you don't.

Broadly speaking, yes.

It's refreshing to hear a liberal admit that they are anti-American, and oppose the principals of freedom and liberty this nation was founded on.

I appreciate the honesty.

Raising a child is a parents responsibility, not the states. The government has no business interfering in this way.

When the parent fails, the state steps in. This is why we have foster homes and child protection services.

It's refreshing to hear a liberal admit that they are anti-American, and oppose the principals of freedom and liberty this nation was founded on.

I appreciate the honesty.
I'm not anti-American. I just don't want to live in the same America that you do.

Sorry when your health problems place a burden on all of society... :shrug:
Free and fat and broke and dead... :roll:

When the parent fails, the state steps in. This is why we have foster homes and child protection services.

The point is, the parents make the choices for their children, not the state. How can you say they have failed, when the state takes it upon themselves to make those choices in the first place?

FREEDOM... Look it up.

The point is, the parents make the choices for their children, not the state. How can you say they have failed, when the state takes it upon themselves to make those choices in the first place?

FREEDOM... Look it up.

If people were responsible enough not to become obese, they would have this 'freedom' you speak of, however they aren't this responsible.

If you want to participate in this for a laugh. Is it the individuals at fault or the fast food places?

Sorry when your health problems place a burden on all of society... :shrug:
Free and fat and broke and dead... :roll:

Are hamburgers legal?
A - Yes.

Are toys legal?
A - Yes.

As long as they sell food that is legal for children to consume, and toys that are legal for children to possess, the government has absolutely no right to prevent them from selling those products.

FREEDOM... Look it up.

Last edited:
If people were responsible enough not to become obese, they would have this 'freedom' you speak of, however they aren't this responsible.

If you want to participate in this for a laugh. Is it the individuals at fault or the fast food places?

Thing is, if people WANT to become fat. Let em. That's there choice. They're that stupid, **** em.

Back
Top Bottom