• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McDonald's customer accused of putting soda in water cup charged with robbery

Greetings, CJ. :2wave:

The interesting part of this event is that they took the time to think up this scam to get a soda for free while driving around using gas they had to pay for! Kinda stupid thinking, IMO.............. :shock:

Good morning Lady P.

I hadn't thought of that, but so true and so funny!! Unless, of course, mommy and daddy were paying for the gas for junior. Wonder if it was his parents' car and if the state can confiscate the car as being used in the commission of a felony?

I hope that doesn't happen to me when I eat a grape at Wal Mart.

It should, unless you ask the management beforehand if you can sample the product first. And I hope you aren't shopping with your kids when you do that, giving them the impression that a store is a free buffet.

I have to totally disagree with you here. From the story I read, the "poor baby" drove through the drive-thru and asked for a cup of water and got it and then he and his friends parked their car and went into the restaurant and proceeded to empty their free water and fill the cups with soda. The manager told them to drop the soda and leave. Most did, but one ignored the manager and left with his soda.

This "teenager" did not likely happen onto this behavior that particular night but has likely been an entitled asshole and bully for some time. From your post, I presume you have no problem with any "poor baby" entering any store and just helping themselves to whatever merchandise they desire at any particular time. Or is their a $ value limit you'd put on taking what's not yours or what you don't pay for? If nothing came of this, if there were no consequences, you can bet this young "precious child" would be bragging around school and to all his friends about how you can get free soda at McDonald's or at least this particular McDonald's.

Nobody "ruined" this boy's life other than potentially himself, and perhaps his parents. Certainly neither the law nor the victims in this matter forced him to commit a crime. Personally, I'm tired of the bleeding heart approach to young reprobates. Hope this guy gets all he's got coming to him.
Well, then we do respectfully disagree CanadaJohn, and sometimes that happens and it's fine. I do value your opinion.

But I don't agree with your premise that an 18yo teen should get hung with a felony for walking out of a corporate chain fast-food joint with a cup of soda. If this becomes the case, we're going to have a lot of young felons running around.

I believe the punishment should fit the crime, and this is overkill.

For reminder, here's a few of the general consequences of a felony rap in American.

- Inability to become employed
- Inability to become a student-intern
- Inability to attend a professional school
- Inability to rent housing
- Inability to keep a protective gun in the house
- Inability to volunteer for a service organization
- Inability to participate in your child's school activities in an organizational or leadership roll
- Inability to participate in your Church's activities in an organizational or leadership roll

In America, we seem to have developed a propensity to background check everyone, everywhere, for everything.

So what exactly is the purpose in keeping a one-time 18yo soda thief from becoming a nurse or an accountant? Or even holding a job or having a place of his own, for that matter?

With all the above and other considerations in mind, no I vehemently do not believe ruining a young life fits the crime a cup of soda theft!

It should, unless you ask the management beforehand if you can sample the product first. And I hope you aren't shopping with your kids when you do that, giving them the impression that a store is a free buffet.
Felony eating a grape in the store?

You can't be serious!

You're attempting to criminalize society! I often taste one of the grapes before I buy them! :doh

You can't be serious!

You're attempting to criminalize society! I often taste one of the grapes before I buy them! :doh

The key is you purchased the product.

If everyone took a soft drink or a "grape" and did not purchase the product. Is it fair for the business to absorb the cost?

The key is you purchased the product.

If everyone took a soft drink or a "grape" and did not purchase the product. Is it fair for the business to absorb the cost?
Well, I didn't buy on those occasions when the grapes were inferior! Which was the whole point of the tasting!

But that's not the issue.

The issue is: "Is single-grape eating worthy of a felony conviction, as CanadaJohn has asserted"?

The subject of this discussion is felony charges, not misdemeanors, reprimands, or other lessor consequences.

Last edited:
The charge of robbery should stand and he should do serious time. What changed this from a simple misdemeanor theft was when they backed up striking the worker twice with their vehicle. That changed it to a felony and they deserve to spend some time in prison. Just like Michael Brown decided that using force was a good idea when he stole cigars. One day, people will get the message, DON'T STEAL.

Where did they dream up felony robbery ? :shock: Maybe this is how they intend to pay the minimum $15 an hour the libs want !:lamo

They didn't dream it up. The suspect escalated the situation to that level when using force to attempt to make their escape. The driver backed the vehicle up striking him twice. That makes it a felony.

Well, then we do respectfully disagree CanadaJohn, and sometimes that happens and it's fine. I do value your opinion.

But I don't agree with your premise that an 18yo teen should get hung with a felony for walking out of a corporate chain fast-food joint with a cup of soda. If this becomes the case, we're going to have a lot of young felons running around.

For reminder, here's a few of the general consequences of a felony rap in American.

- Inability to participate in your child's school activities in an organizational or leadership roll
- Inability to participate in your Church's activities in an organizational or leadership roll

In America, we seem to have developed a propensity to background check everyone, everywhere, for everything.

So what exactly is the purpose in keeping a one-time 18yo soda thief from becoming a nurse or an accountant? Or even holding a job or having a place of his own, for that matter?

With all the above and other considerations in mind, no I vehemently do not believe ruining a young life fits the crime a cup of soda theft!

Yes, we do disagree, and that's quite healthy, from my perspective.

I would say, however, that there is a significant difference between what actually happened and how you are portraying it. This isn't a case of a teen just happening to walk out of a restaurant without paying for a soda. It's a case of a teen who purposely went to steal the soda from the restaurant and when caught stealing and had the chance to leave without stealing, chose to continue the theft. Many people who are caught in the act of stealing things are given the benefit of the doubt if they fess up to stealing and/or give back what they stole and apologize for their actions. This young man did neither and so he's left with the courts deciding what his punishment should be. And really, at 18, he can't cop a plea that he was drunk or under the influence of drugs, because both of those are illegal for him at his age. Courts have discretion and maybe the judge hearing his case will show leniency. Or, before it gets that far, this young man will agree to some community service and some other restitution to the restaurant or the community at large and the charges will be dropped. But until that time, the charges seem perfectly reasonable to me, under the circumstances.

Last edited:
They didn't dream it up. The suspect escalated the situation to that level when using force to attempt to make their escape. The driver backed the vehicle up striking him twice. That makes it a felony.

Then , he WAS NOT charged with a felony for stealing a soda :shock: , so why indicate he was ?? :roll:

Μολὼν λαβέ;1065797821 said:
I agree taking a drink without paying for it is not a good idea but a felony charge?

Is that correct?

McDonald's customer accused of putting soda in water cup charged with robbery | Fox News

I'm not at all surprised, the US has been a police state for a long time. I doubt he should have to face felony robbery charges, he SHOULD face attempted murder ...

The manager even ran out and tried to block Morris' car from leaving, but the suspect reportedly drove his vehicle in reverse and hit the worker twice before speeding away.

You can't be serious!

Is the grape yours or the stores? Did you buy it before you ate it? Do you also sample the fresh baked buns and rolls? How about the barbeque chicken - rip off a leg just to see if the seasoning is to your liking before you buy?

Various places where I shop, I ask the produce manager or other staff member before I would be so bold as to assume that I can sample the product without paying.

From where I come from and from the parents who raised me, that's just not acceptable. The alternative, if there are no consequences, is increasingly abhorrent behavior being excused and/or accepted. Besides, that lost product is a cost to the vendor and as such becomes a cost past down to the consumer - may seem miniscule to you, but it adds up over time.

I wonder if stealing soda was a perpetual crime with this McDs? After this incident, it probably will be.

Sidenote: Now would be the time for McDs not to issue anymore cups for water. To enforce the law, another right is taken away...

If someone tried to fill their own cup with soda, at least that would be premeditated.

If McDonald's wasn't so ****ing greedy that they have to off-load the coat of filling a cup onto the customer they wouldn't have a problem.

A subtle reminder that the established media created click baiting long before Buzzfeed and Upworthy.

Well, I didn't buy on those occasions when the grapes were inferior! Which was the whole point of the tasting!

The issue is: "Is single-grape eating worthy of a felony conviction, as CanadaJohn has asserted"?

The subject of this discussion is felony charges, not misdemeanors, reprimands, or other lessor consequences.

Since you admit you have tasted but did not purchase. If everyone did that, is that a cost the business should absorb?

The reason I asked the question was to get a better understanding of your position. It seems your ok with theft, as long as it is not a large quantity or cost. McD did provide the cup and free water. Seems the idiots decided to take advantage of McD.

imo, felony charges for stealing a soda, not so much.
using a vehicle to possibly injure someone, felony charges may be correct.

The kid made the decision to escalate the situation. Decisions do have consequences.

I'm not at all surprised, the US has been a police state for a long time. I doubt he should have to face felony robbery charges, he SHOULD face attempted murder ...

well actually this is what I think...screw the soda....the guy tried to drive over someone to escape with a soda...this kid has big problems

who does that?

not a normal kid

Yes, we do disagree, and that's quit healthy, from my perspective.

I would say, however, that there is a significant difference between what actually happened and how you are portraying it. This isn't a case of a teen just happening to walk out of a restaurant without paying for a soda. It's a case of a teen who purposely went to steal the soda from the restaurant and when caught stealing and had the chance to leave without stealing, chose to continue the theft.
Those are the assertions, but they have yet to be determined. We've heard the corporate side, but not the teen's. And I must point-out corporate PR & legal departments are very savvy, and PDs tend to go along with them.

I do suspect there was a lot going on here though, forcing the restaurant to see this as an aggravated situation.

Many people who are caught in the act of stealing things are given the benefit of the doubt if they fess up to stealing and/or give back what the stole and apologize for their actions. This young man did neither and so he's left with the courts deciding what his punishment should be. And really, at 18, he can't cop a plea that he was drunk or under the influence of drugs, because both of those are illegal for him at his age. Courts have discretion and maybe the judge hearing his case will show leniency. Or, before it gets that far, this young man will agree to some community service and some other restitution to the restaurant or the community at large and the charges will be dropped. But until that time, the charges seem perfectly reasonable to me, under the circumstances.
Yes, you are likely right here, and what you posit is appropriate IMO.

But I do have qualms with this propensity for the police and ADAs to overcharge in an effort to increase their bargaining power for a plea. The reason? Sometimes for various reasons the perps get hung with the more severe charge, which to me is a miscarriage of justice. I discussed this upthread with another poster, citing the '25 tp life' pizza theft sentence in California.

Well, the totality of the act was to ensure the successful taking of property, in this case a cup of free soda. Taking of property without permission is theft. Taking with violence or threat is robbery.

Know however that the Prosecutor can charge a suspect with a whole gamut of crimes hoping one will stick. It may come down to the defendant pleading to an assault charge or even petty theft. However, if there is video of the event and the act provides convincing evidence of greater charges to convince a jury? All bets are off.
There is also a charge that can be applied in many states of "theft of service" which is an automatic felony, it can be anything from a "dine and dash" to making a protest by filling carts and leaving the produce to force staff to restock in mass quantities(as MDA tried to do to Kroger), and this can apply because they went to the drive thru window first and did receive service, only to try to cheat the company by going in and stealing the other produce. Two of the guys tried to pay up, it was the one guy who did the most damage, he deserves an extended time out in a maximum security prison but the other two are going to end up nailed on accomplice charges, they should slap their buddy stupid for that.:doh

Those are the assertions, but they have yet to be determined. We've heard the corporate side, but not the teen's. And I must point-out corporate PR & legal departments are very savvy, and PDs tend to go along with them.

I do suspect there was a lot going on here though, forcing the restaurant to see this as an aggravated situation.

Yes, you are likely right here, and what you posit is appropriate IMO.

But I do have qualms with this propensity for the police and ADAs to overcharge in an effort to increase their bargaining power for a plea. The reason? Sometimes for various reasons the perps get hung with the more severe charge, which to me is a miscarriage of justice. I discussed this upthread with another poster, citing the '25 tp life' pizza theft sentence in California.

I agree it is better to wait till all the facts are known before determining a conclusion. It will be interesting to see if the news provides a follow up down the road.

Why is he being charged, we have millions of ILLEGAL immigrants that aren't being charged for breaking the laws. Do we just pick the laws we want to enforce?
Just wondering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well actually this is what I think...screw the soda....the guy tried to drive over someone to escape with a soda...this kid has big problems

who does that?

not a normal kid

This is a kid of privilege, which is his most prized asset. If the objective is to ensure this **** doesn't go anywhere, then the biggest deterrent is to remove all those privileges while staying in the community where he can e judged by his peers. Make him do community service for a year or two, in some disgusting job like washing dishes in a soup kitchen. I suspect it will be hard to find a girlfriend when you have to mop the school floors everyday.

To his teen peers, 'prison' is something on TV. It will happen, he will disappear and mostly be forgotten, but the community will have gotten its revenge; or not. When know that prison sentences, especially felonies, simply make more bad guys and would certainly expand his sphincter muscle.

Irony is that the Vancouver Sun yesterday published an extended piece about how the prison system creates criminals in Canada and elaborates on how effective was the sentences [largely community service] were for the 2010 Vancouver Rioters, however I can't seem to find it on line

I get the overall sentiment here Chomsky but think forward a bit. This kid tried to game the system, he showed a willingness to cheat, use a loophole, all while engaging in criminal activity over a cheap item. I think they did this just to do it, since it was obvious two of them had the means to pay up when caught, the other one decided to defend his crime and escalate.

When someone shows that mindset they well should be scrutinized by an employer. If I were to be a hiring manager and I see the kid went to prison for something like this I have to think "is he going to try to figure out how to steal inventory to sell to customers or other folks to make supplemental income", if he were to be a nurse, with access to the medicine cabinet is he going to raid it to either get a fix or sell to someone who needs one thus costing the hospital money and risking the DEA license to carry the needed meds. I would further have to think about whether I would want to rent to this kid "Will he tear something up and just hide it?". The fact is the charges aren't what are going to ruin this kid's chances but rather his attitude.

I don't believe in creating pariahs with criminal convictions over non-violent or justified actions. This kid started it and escalated it with no regard for the innocent manager's well being. I saw that someone mentioned unlawful detainment a bit earlier, not the case, the kid wasn't suspected of theft but caught red handed, in situations like that the manager was well within rights to detain.

You seem like a reasonable guy though. A manager would probably offer you the same chance that these kids were offered, pay the $X that the grape cost and no harm, no foul. Most reasonable people would just say, "no problem" as two of the teens did. The big problem is the one who took it to the level of robbery by escalating to force.

Back
Top Bottom