• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McDonald’s Workers Are Told Whom to Vote for

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
It sounds like things are beginning to boil in Oho.

Are people allowed to harass voters after they have voted?

I’m amazed that anyone working for Mickey D’s would be so gung-ho for the party of tax-cuts-for-the-rich-at-the-expense-of-the-working-poor.

The fact that they would have such poor judgment as to think this was a good idea? No, that doesn’t come as a surprise at all.

I’m amazed that anyone working for Mickey D’s would be so gung-ho for the party of tax-cuts-for-the-rich-at-the-expense-of-the-working-poor.

The fact that they would have such poor judgment as to think this was a good idea? No, that doesn’t come as a surprise at all.

Franchise Owner is not really the same as an every day worker and this person is probably worried that their screwing of their crew may come to an end.

I might be wrong, but something doesn't seem completely legal about this. Anyone know if it is OK to do something like this?

Wow, this is the way to win elections....

This is wrong, agreed? Unions have been doing this for a long time...is that ok since they urge their members to vote for the Democrat candidates?

Are you serious? There's a difference between a union and a workplace.

This letter violates a 1953 Ohio statute that prohibits political material from being attached to wage envelopes.

The law your pointing out:

No employer or his agent or a corporation shall print or authorize to be printed upon any pay envelopes any statements intended or calculated to influence the political action of his or its employees; or post or exhibit in the establishment or anywhere in or about the establishment any posters, placards, or hand bills containing any threat, notice, or information that if any particular candidate is elected or defeated work in the establishment will cease in whole or in part, or other threats expressed or implied, intended to influence the political opinions or votes of his or its employees.

Ohio Revised Code - Title XXXV Elections - Section 3599.05 Corrupt practices - employer shall not influence political opinions or votes of employees. - Ohio Attorney Resources - Ohio Laws

If there are charges brought against McDonalds, the lawyers will fight over the bolded part of the law above. Technically, McDonalds did not print it on the envelope - whether that holds up in court or legally the limited scope of the law as it was modified matches, we'll have to wait and see.

Why do we give a hoot about any employer asking any employee to vote for any particular candidate?

They can't follow you into the voting booth. Hell, unless they've got too much time on their hands they won't even know if you voted at all.

The law your pointing out:

No employer or his agent or a corporation shall print or authorize to be printed upon any pay envelopes any statements intended or calculated to influence the political action of his or its employees; or post or exhibit in the establishment or anywhere in or about the establishment any posters, placards, or hand bills containing any threat, notice, or information that if any particular candidate is elected or defeated work in the establishment will cease in whole or in part, or other threats expressed or implied, intended to influence the political opinions or votes of his or its employees.

Ohio Revised Code - Title XXXV Elections - Section 3599.05 Corrupt practices - employer shall not influence political opinions or votes of employees. - Ohio Attorney Resources - Ohio Laws

If there are charges brought against McDonalds, the lawyers will fight over the bolded part of the law above. Technically, McDonalds did not print it on the envelope - whether that holds up in court or legally the limited scope of the law as it was modified matches, we'll have to wait and see.

Oh the loopholes! :) The franchise owner has apologized and admitted he made an error in judgement. Personally, I am satisfied with that and see no reason to indict the man.

Why do we give a hoot about any employer asking any employee to vote for any particular candidate?

They can't follow you into the voting booth. Hell, unless they've got too much time on their hands they won't even know if you voted at all.

This is why you should care. An employee reading this who voted for Obama might fear for or lose their job working for this guy!

Doctor tells Obama supporters: Go elsewhere for health care - Orlando Sentinel

MOUNT DORA — A doctor who considers the national health-care overhaul to be bad medicine for the country posted a sign on his office door telling patients who voted for President Barack Obama to seek care "elsewhere.""I'm not turning anybody away — that would be unethical," Dr. Jack Cassell, 56, a Mount Dora urologist and a registered Republican opposed to the health plan, told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday. "But if they read the sign and turn the other way, so be it."The sign reads: "If you voted for Obama … seek urologic care elsewhere. Changes to your healthcare begin right now, not in four years."

Oh the loopholes! :) The franchise owner has apologized and admitted he made an error in judgement. Personally, I am satisfied with that and see no reason to indict the man.

Loopholes. A lawyers bread and butter.

This is why you should care. An employee reading this who voted for Obama might fear for or lose their job working for this guy!

But he can't possibly know how you voted, so what the hell does it matter?

MOUNT DORA — A doctor who considers the national health-care overhaul to be bad medicine for the country posted a sign on his office door telling patients who voted for President Barack Obama to seek care "elsewhere.""I'm not turning anybody away — that would be unethical," Dr. Jack Cassell, 56, a Mount Dora urologist and a registered Republican opposed to the health plan, told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday. "But if they read the sign and turn the other way, so be it."The sign reads: "If you voted for Obama … seek urologic care elsewhere. Changes to your healthcare begin right now, not in four years."

Completely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

You are over the top. Nothing in the writing suggests someone would lose their job. Also just from a common sense standpoint, how would someone know who someone else voted for?

The article indicates that this is illegal.

The article should state this MAY be illegal. Which is why jounalists are not also judge/jury and executioners.

Yeah, the owner is wrong for asking his employees to vote Republican, yet this can be perfectly fine....

Two days ago, the Democratic Secretary of State announced that voters can be provided "free food" at "voter turnout events." Harry Reid has been offering free food and, according to other reports, some Democratic allies such as teachers' unions are offering gift cards in return for a vote for Reid.

Angle campaign attorney: Reid "intends to steal this election if he can't win it outright" - Politics: Ralston's Flash - Las Vegas Sun

Wonderful world we live in isn't it?

j-mac

Yeah, the owner is wrong for asking his employees to vote Republican, yet this can be perfectly fine....

Wonderful world we live in isn't it?

j-mac

Perhaps in Nevada - bribing people for votes using beer and food as well as gift cards is legal. That wouldn't surprise me.

Perhaps in Nevada - bribing people for votes using beer and food as well as gift cards is legal. That wouldn't surprise me.

Then there is the case of Philly:

Nevertheless, a Philadelphia Democratic official signaled this week that the institution is alive and well.

"We still have the street money, and we're very knowledgeable," Rep. Robert Brady said in an interview Monday when asked what the party machine strategy would be and whether it would entail "walking around money" to get people to vote. "We pay attention."

'Walking Around Money' to Drum Up Campaign Support Alive and Well in 2010 Election - FoxNews.com

I watched this crap go on in Baltimore for years....It is absolutely buying votes.

j-mac

Wow, this is the way to win elections....

Meanwhile, virtualy every union in America forces republican workers to donate to Democrat candidates under penalty of termination.

I could give a **** about a pamphlit. Don't like it, don't read it.

Really? Can't say **** here? Wiskey tango foxtrot!

Last edited:
Then there is the case of Philly:

I watched this crap go on in Baltimore for years....It is absolutely buying votes.

j-mac

Both the electorate and the members of Congress on both sides of the isle have been wearing a For Rent sign for quite some time.

Could we stop pointing at "the other guy," or acting like this is a novel concept?

This reminds me of the 1896 presidential election between Bryan and McKinley. Bryan was able to unite the interests of rural farmers and non-agricultural laborers in cities and towns in common purpose to fight against the rich. It looked like he was going to win rather easily. But there are plenty of anecdotal examples of employers who basically warned their employees that they were free to vote for anyone they wanted to vote for but if Bryan won they would not have a job to return to on the day after the election. That scared enough folks to vote against their own economic self interest and vote for McKinley avoiding the progressive measures of Bryan.

Of course, the progressives got the last laugh when McKinley was killed and Teddy Roosevelt took the office.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom