• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McCrory signs bill restricting view of police camera recordings

justabubba

long standing member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
McCrory signs bill restricting view of police camera recordings | News & Observer

if mccrory keeps this up, NC will soon displace florida as the nation's laughingstock

McCrory ... said the law “ensures transparency.”

it does the opposite. it allows the law enforcement agency the ability to refuse to authorize release of the camera recordings
and one must solicit approval from superior court to overturn the police department's refusal to release the recordings

The law allows people who are recorded, or their representatives, to see footage if law enforcement agencies agree. The police chief or sheriff would decide whether to grant access. The law enforcement agency can consider a number of factors in making the decision, including whether disclosure may harm someone’s reputation or jeopardize someone’s safety, or if confidentiality is “necessary to protect either an active or inactive internal or criminal investigation or potential internal or criminal investigation.”
police chiefs/sheriffs can use any excuse to refuse to release the LEO body cam recording

yea, that is facilitating transparency

McCrory signs bill restricting view of police camera recordings | News & Observer

if mccrory keeps this up, NC will soon displace florida as the nation's laughingstock

it does the opposite. it allows the law enforcement agency the ability to refuse to authorize release of the camera recordings
and one must solicit approval from superior court to overturn the police department's refusal to release the recordings

police chiefs/sheriffs can use any excuse to refuse to release the LEO body cam recording

We had old friends from North Carolina staying with us over the weekend. A couple of times they said they were beginning to become embarrassed by the behavior of their state legislators. We reminded them they were visiting here in Arizona. Arizona is helping write the book on state dumbassery. However, we agreed that North Carolina is holding its own on stupid.

I disagree with the statement of ensuring "transparency". However, I believe that video footage of an event should NEVER be released until after the investigation is complete and any charges have been fully handled in a court of law.

Cases being tried with a video and lack of other evidence in the media have a seriously negative effect on the fairness of any criminal or civil trial associated with the recorded incident.

We had old friends from North Carolina staying with us over the weekend. A couple of times they said they were beginning to become embarrassed by the behavior of their state legislators. We reminded them they were visiting here in Arizona. Arizona is helping write the book on state dumbassery. However, we agreed that North Carolina is holding its own on stupid.

Greetings, Risky Thicket. :2wave:

In the late 90s, my husband inherited some family acreage in the mountains of North Carolina, and it was his dream to "move back home" when he retired. Unfortunately, complications from advanced diabetes took his life before we could make that move. It is so beautiful there that a few years ago, after talking it over with my family, we decided that a Bed and Breakfast type business might be a good investment so I started improving the land with that in mind - had a large pond dug for fishing; fenced in a large area for horseback riding; had a stable built to house six horses; a large chicken coop for eggs, and a barn built for dairy cattle. The people who owned the land adjoining watched as all this was being done, and asked if I would be interested in buying their land since they wanted to move closer to their daughter, so I bought it. Their land had a large orchard, so I fenced that too with double fencing - several feet of space between fences because of the deer and other wild animals.

I have yet to buy a single animal, but several cabin-style dwellings are under construction. However, after reading about NC State dumbassery, I think I'd better have my attorney, who has been involved every step of the way to keep me out of trouble since I decided to do this, verify that I am not making a costly error. I know the zoning is okay, and local people are doing the work - some have already approached me for a future job after I get the B & B running, so that's a plus.

Risky, if I go broke, at least I have had fun learning along the way! :mrgreen:

Greetings, Risky Thicket. :2wave:

In the late 90s, my husband inherited some family acreage in the mountains of North Carolina, and it was his dream to "move back home" when he retired. Unfortunately, complications from advanced diabetes took his life before we could make that move. It is so beautiful there that a few years ago, after talking it over with my family, we decided that a Bed and Breakfast type business might be a good investment so I started improving the land with that in mind - had a large pond dug for fishing; fenced in a large area for horseback riding; had a stable built to house six horses; a large chicken coop for eggs, and a barn built for dairy cattle. The people who owned the land adjoining watched as all this was being done, and asked if I would be interested in buying their land since they wanted to move closer to their daughter, so I bought it. Their land had a large orchard, so I fenced that too with double fencing - several feet of space between fences because of the deer and other wild animals.

I have yet to buy a single animal, but several cabin-style dwellings are under construction. However, after reading about NC State dumbassery, I think I'd better have my attorney, who has been involved every step of the way to keep me out of trouble since I decided to do this, verify that I am not making a costly error. I know the zoning is okay, and local people are doing the work - some have already approached me for a future job after I get the B & B running, so that's a plus.

Risky, if I go broke, at least I have had fun learning along the way! :mrgreen:

First let me say that I am sorry about your husband. Also, it is a shame that he was not able to move back to North Carolina.

Altogether I suppose I lived about 18 years in North Carolina. It is truly a fine place to live. I can't say enough good things about it. One bad thing I can say about it is that it is one of the most political states in America. I was told that before I moved there the second time. Truer words were never spoken. If you can keep from being involved with the state government it is a grand place to live.

Sadly at the present in America many states are burdened with inept legislators and governors who are hell bent on controlling the citizens. You see it in the mid-west, in New Jersey and the mid-Atlantic, in the South, in NYC, in the southwest and even in the northwest.

My wife and I happen to love the west. We've been here for 20 years and we have no plans to move back east. If we ever moved back east, North Carolina would be on the shortlist. I highly recommend North Carolina.

It sounds to me as if you are building a wonderful place. I know you are excited about it. Do it! Move there and settle in. Get involved locally and give the locals some time to accept you. Eat a lot of collards at pot luck suppers. Do not share your political opinion with anyone, good or bad. Don't ever talk about "the way we did it back home". Look at folks in the eye when you pass them and say, "How y'all doing'?", even if it is only one person. (Of course I recommend not doing that if you are alone and after dark. In those instances look them in the eye and nod.) Having been married to a Southern man and living on the Dixie side of Ohio, close to the South, you probably already know all this.

It is exciting to hear about what you have done and about your future plans. Good on you. With your personality you should do very well. In no time you will have many new friends. Please let us know how your plans progress. Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom