• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell unloads on Trump: 'Morally responsible' for provoking mob

I never mentioned what SCOTUS would or wouldn't do, I made the argument that McConnell voted to acquit to avoid setting precedent, that Congress could impeach private citizens, in the future.

Impeaching a former president is not a precedent for impeaching a private citizen.

Impeaching a former president is not a precedent for impeaching a private citizen.

Absolutely it is....is a former president, not a private citizen once he leaves office?

McConnell and the republicans couldn't vote to impeach, it was unconstitutional and it would have killed at least half the support of the party. Wait til 2022, several notable republicans are going to be primaried.
Think again. Sasse, , Collins, and Cassidy were just re-elected to 6 year terms, Burr and Toomey are retiring, Romney and Murkowski have reasonably safe seats.

I never mentioned what SCOTUS would or wouldn't do, I made the argument that McConnell voted to acquit to avoid setting precedent, that Congress could impeach private citizens, in the future.
What precedent are you trying to avoid, I don't think there was ever any danger of congress impeaching the local Kroger manager. The only precedent set would be that we could impeach and convict a president who acts contrary to the constitution.

This is what white america has done plenty of times when the powerless threaten their unearned privileges.

The charges will move forward to criminal prosecution - Even though I think the Republican Senators who voted to Acquit are Pieces of Shit!!! This is criminal, and people died, and the sanctuary of the U.S. Capital was invaded by Terrorist Insurrectionist at the directions of Trump, Giuliani and Trump Jr. and the Other Asshole that was on the stage and the many others with their megaphone. The prosecution should go forward and the penalties must be high!!! America's Dignity and American Justice is at stake of World Ridicule if it does not.

While the Criminal Proceeding go forward, the Senate can work on the business of the times to move this country forward. These people in Congress know that we must move the country forward and the Right Wing Confederate Republicans in the Senate Can't Stop It... 2022 will increase the Democratic Senate, because the Republicans have shit all over the Constitution and Shit again in the US Capitol and supporting Trump making a shit house out of the White House and it all must be cleaned and restored and advanced to be the Democracy America was designed to be and become.

No man is greater than the nation, and Trump led those people to think when he spoke of America that he was speaking about the Nation, when in FACT he was speaking as if he is America.
That's the mindset of a Dictator Tyrant... and he said that was what he wanted, when he said, he wanted America to submit to him like N. Koreans do to Kim. His cult could not hear it because they were focused on "white nationalism" with Confederate Groomed Disregard for American Democracy. They seem not to know the era of Confederacy will not return, only those who chase after it, run backwards while the world moves forward and they are their own worst enemy.

I've written this out in great detail over the vast span of commentary I've posted, which any who care to track back and read they will find that my commentary has never changed its point and perspectives of what damages America, and over all that time, some chose not to read, not to listen the masses and not to pay attention, and even those who got arrested now want to claim, "they didn't know" but they did not know because they chose not to listen and not to try to understand what so many of us tried to tell them endlessly.
Those who will be redeemed with be those who seek to redeem themselves and they will gain acceptance when their devotion to being redeemed is made sincere.
They have the bit the bitter pill of truth, and face the face they followed the lies. Some will find the strength to do so, and some never will find the strength to do so.
They create their own results and those results won't favor them in the future that unfolds day by day.
Fascists can only be taken down through popular revolt.

Yes he is signaling the end for the one term loser. Other Reps. are joining in too. The just want him gone and good riddance. Now come the civil and criminal charges to keep him busy and hopefully silent. It's time to move on.

"I think he is probably not likely to ever be President of the United States again based on what is going on right here right now," said Sen. Kevin Cramer, a North Dakota Republican who voted to acquit Trump. "I think the impeachment process has been damaging because people have seen repeated images of how awful that night was and how inappropriate his response was. While it does not meet the standard in my view of inciting insurrection, it will have had that damaging effect."

These spineless idiots babbling mean nothing.

Disagree, I think he actually did stand by his conviction, he believes 100% that this impeachment was unconstitutional, so he stood by his belief, voted accordingly, and then blistered Trump in a speech.

He made some valid points, that by voting to convict a PRIVATE CITIZEN, they are setting precedent to prevent private citizens from running for office etc....

He doesn't in any way believe the impeachment was unconstitutional. That was nothing but a ruse to prevent Senate Republicans from having to vote to convict and thus ensuring they would be primaried by lunatics on the far right.

LOL man you are so ****ing hurt by that....that's pretty incredible..... it's ok, you will get over it bud.

I mean, you didn't touch on anything I said.....because it seems the Senate COULD HAVE DISQUALIFIED HIM WITH A SIMPLE MAJORITY VOTE......that has nothing to do with Republicans, seems like the Dems just ****ed you up and you can't even see it.
The senate could disqualify him with a simple majority only after conviction. Without a conviction it takes 2/3 majority.

McConnell and the republicans couldn't vote to impeach, it was unconstitutional and it would have killed at least half the support of the party. Wait til 2022, several notable republicans are going to be primaried.

There is no reason to believe that it is unconstitutional to hold a president politically accountable up until the last day of his term (which will trigger a trial after he has left office). This was just a lame excuse to let Trump get away with his behavior without suffering political consequences such as prohibiting him from running for office again. .

Last edited:
Disagree, I think he actually did stand by his conviction, he believes 100% that this impeachment was unconstitutional, so he stood by his belief, voted accordingly, and then blistered Trump in a speech.

He made some valid points, that by voting to convict a PRIVATE CITIZEN, they are setting precedent to prevent private citizens from running for office etc....

I disagree...

I think McConnell wanted to find an excuse to have it both ways...but I still believe that such stance will make way more difficult for Trump to run again, at least as a leader of the GOP party.

That is the way Impeachment works. The House writes the rules for who is impeached; the Senate writes the rules for the Trial. They vote as a body to decide these things. Once the vote has been had, its a vote of the Senate or a vote of the House, with the outcome determinative until its changed. Making both of statements fact. The President was impeached and it was Constitutional to try him once out of office.

Meanwhile, Trump has been exonerated twice, even though the majority of Senators voted to convict each time. The fact is, Trump has been exonerated. That does not mean he isn't guilty as sin, but the rule of law tells us that we have to accept the outcome of the process.

If a jury votes to convict or declare not guilty, well, it was the determination of a few (and who knows how the sausage got made in jury room), but the outcome becomes the fact. While their is basis for appeal, we rest on the decision of the jury.
Weeeel we dont have to let the decision rest with the jury... theres more direct methods and der trumpengroper set the precedent

Fascists can only be taken down through popular revolt.
And i would totally support a popular acquisition of all his properties to be used by the masses.

What precedent are you trying to avoid, I don't think there was ever any danger of congress impeaching the local Kroger manager. The only precedent set would be that we could impeach and convict a president who acts contrary to the constitution.

Except...again, Trump wasn't president......you can't have it both ways.

He doesn't in any way believe the impeachment was unconstitutional. That was nothing but a ruse to prevent Senate Republicans from having to vote to convict and thus ensuring they would be primaried by lunatics on the far right.

Shit, forget, habit of the left telling people what they do and don't believe......thanks for the reminder.

The senate could disqualify him with a simple majority only after conviction. Without a conviction it takes 2/3 majority.

Got a link to that, the link I had said it differently.

He voted to acquit. Actions speak louder than words!
Can you believe this ****ing guy? First he not only voted to acquit. He even announced his intention to do so before the vote was even taken. Then once the vote is taken and surprise surprise, Trump is acquitted, he immediately comes out and says point blank that Trump was guilty as sin of having provoked the insurrection that he was charged with having provoked in the article of impeachment and that maybe somebody should arrest and try him. Right after he had just basically let him walk. Somebody stop that man! I won't! Republicans like McConnell is why the Republican party has descended into an anti-democratic bigoted cesspool of QAnon conspiracy theory loving crazies. Cause all he cares about is holding on to power. Whatever the means.

I disagree...

I think McConnell wanted to find an excuse to have it both ways...but I still believe that such stance will make way more difficult for Trump to run again, at least as a leader of the GOP party.
And the Republican party will continue on with being dysfunctional as ever because that what happens when you try to have it both ways. You end up going nowhere.

Absolutely it is....is a former president, not a private citizen once he leaves office?

Not just 'private citizen' but 'private citizen who was the former president'. Congressional impeachment jurisdiction is limited solely to current or former office holders of the judicial, executive or legislative branches. The primary purpose of impeaching a former appointed or elected office holder is to put in the congressional record notice of their impeachable conduct, as well as prevent the candidacy of or appointment to future positions within same.

This fear that some have regarding 'precedent' of impeaching random private citizens for mischievous motives is due to an incorrect or lack of understanding of the above.

Last edited:
Not just 'private citizen' but 'private citizen who was the former president'. Congressional impeachment jurisdiction is limited solely to current or former office holders of the judicial, executive or legislative branches. The primary purpose of impeaching a former appointed or elected office holder is to put in the congressional record notice of their impeachable conduct, as well as prevent the candidacy of or appointment to future positions within same.

This fear that some have regarding 'precedent' of impeaching random private citizens for mischievous motives is due to an incorrect or lack of understanding of the above.

Link that for me please, I'd like to see that.

And the Republican party will continue on with being dysfunctional as ever because that what happens when you try to have it both ways. You end up going nowhere.

I agree...

The only realistic way out for the GOP is to experience similar defeats in the 2022 and 2024 elections. Then some people will realize that Trumpism is a political liability and brings only defeat in the WH, Senate and the House. But I cannot be sure about the future, and I do not discount the possibility that we may witness a generation of Americans who may not be able to "keep the republic" they inherited from their fathers.

Right now, I see it as a plausible scenario of watching in my lifetime an election result that will be too close for a peaceful transition of power guided by the Constitutional principles of the US republic. Franklin's quote sounds much louder after the 2020 elections:

As Benjamin Franklin left the Constitutional Convention, he was reportedly asked what kind of government the founders would propose. He replied, “A republic, if you can keep it.”

And i would totally support a popular acquisition of all his properties to be used by the masses.
the only instance in which i might be inclined to support an act of civil forfeiture

Back
Top Bottom