• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell takes Pelosi and Schumer to the woodshed over COVID funding

Great, he said some words. Is there any idea what's in the proposal or whether he can get it passed through the Senate? So far he's been unable to do that.

When he does will Pelosi and Schumer support the items that they agree with? Or will they let Americans suffer by trying to get everything they want?

The Democrat majority US House passed their second stimulus bill months ago.

McConnell recessed the Senate in mid August and is only returning now. And still with no second stimulus agreement with the US House.

McConnell/Mnuchin/Meadows all abdicated their responsibilities as Americans suffered.

Wrong. They would have signed on the dotted line to help Americans but the Democrats are demanding additional items.

I guess we'll see whether McConnell can get 50 votes for anything. What we know is nothing has passed the Senate, and if he has maybe 40 GOP votes, he needs 10 more, which means negotiating in good faith with Democrats. If he's not able to do that - get 10 Democrats to vote yes - that's his failure.
McConnell did that good-faith stuff months ago - pelosi throw the bill in the shredder even though 100 Dem Representatives begged her to bring it up.

What McConnell is proposing looks reasonable - as he says neither side gets everything they want but at least ordinary Americans get SOMETHING.

When he does will Pelosi and Schumer support the items that they agree with? Or will they let Americans suffer by trying to get everything they want?

The answer is no, he's failed to get 50 votes for anything.

Wake me up when that changes. I doubt it will be on Thursday.

McConnell did that good-faith stuff months ago - pelosi throw the bill in the shredder even though 100 Dem Representatives begged her to bring it up.

Which bill was that? I missed it when the GOP had 50 votes in the Senate for a relief bill of any kind. :confused:

What McConnell is proposing looks reasonable - as he says neither side gets everything they want but at least ordinary Americans get SOMETHING.

Sure, it's half what they proposed earlier and less than half of what the WH has supported as recently as last week. Reasonable!

The answer is no, he's failed to get 50 votes for anything.

Wake me up when that changes. I doubt it will be on Thursday.

So you're saying that even if it passes, the left would still rather have Americans suffer so they can blame it on Trump for political points?

Yeah, you can tell by the headline of your article how unbiased of a source is that you're using:

Also, when's McConnell going to take trump to the woodshed for his abysmal handling of the pandemic? When's McConnell going to take himself to the woodshed for abdicating his constitutional responsibilities during the trump impeachment trial?

Sounds like there's more woodshed to be had for McConnell and the rest of the trumpublicans than for anyone else!

This isn't about Trump it's about the two party system working. The democrats and republicans are far apart on most issues and the democrats now even refuse to approve the few things the two parties do agree on as far as providing further aid to the American people. They want all they want or nothing for the people. Problem is some of what they want has nothing to do with the Pandemic economic ills.

So you're saying that even if it passes, the left would still rather have Americans suffer so they can blame it on Trump for political points?

Why change what I wrote to fabricate, lie, that I said something else? McConnell hasn't passed anything, hasn't gotten 50 votes for anything. So far he's done nothing but say some words, and oppose what the Democrats did pass months ago.

He'll need 60 votes, but doesn't care what Democrats want, and so far hasn't been able to get 50 Republicans on board. It's a massive failure by the Senate. What Mitch apparently wants is for him to get maybe 40 votes, the Democrats give him the 10 or 20 needed to pass, but freeze Democrats out of the bill writing process, and cut his last offer by half, and less than half than what the WH has indicated it would support. I'm not sure how he gets the votes for that bull****. But you will blame Democrats, of course...

This isn't about Trump it's about the two party system working. The democrats and republicans are far apart on most issues and the democrats now even refuse to approve the few things the two parties do agree on as far as providing further aid to the American people. They want all they want or nothing for the people. Problem is some of what they want has nothing to do with the Pandemic economic ills.

That's false, untrue.

Great, he said some words. Is there any idea what's in the proposal or whether he can get it passed through the Senate? So far he's been unable to do that.

Remember when trump shut down the government and tried to blame the dems and nancy in particular? Keep in mind mitch can get a bill passed in the senate but just like the impeachment trial, the house gets its say and won't cave to a republican bill. The right can try to paint the left as the people who don't care but we all know the truth. There's been a bill sitting on mitch's desk for months, why has he not brought that to the floor? Oh right, because it's a bill by the democrats.

This is what happens when a game of the The Prisoner's Dilemma goes bad.

We need someone to do something that isn't in their immediate best interest, and we need the other side to respond in kind.

Uppity monkeys that we are, we can't think our way past the next sunset without a death threat.

Examples?

McConnell got his vote 52-47 - measure not carried. Dem offer no reason given. Oh,and Kamala missed the vote. Why to go Dems!!

Actually, I think he said he intends to get it to the floor this week. From the OP link:

Hope that clears up your misunderstanding

Just because that's what you believe, does not make it true.

McConnell (50%) is second only to Susan Collins (52%) for the highest negatives for a Republican senator. Even Pelosi has a lower negative rating (42%). Aside from that, thinking that not getting this passed is going to hurt Dems is wishful thinking to the nth. Moscow Mitch's reputation for killing every attempt to try to pass the Cares Act (sent to the Senate after House passage 4 MONTHS ago) is too well known.

Back
Top Bottom