• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell says calls for Clarence Thomas to recuse himself from 1-6 related cases are "inappropriate pressure campaign"

Protect her from what? That she thinks Trump wuz robbed? Who cares. She is allowed to think that if she wishes.
She is. But the whole lot of them are currently being investigated for potential conspiracy to stop the Congress from doing its job. So he should not be involved in decisions that would have legal liability for her.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell on Wednesday decried criticism of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, dismissing Democratic-led calls for the jurist to resign or recuse himself from January 6, 2021-related cases as an "inappropriate pressure campaign."

The Kentucky Republican — who voted to confirm Thomas to Supreme Court in 1991 and played a leading role in installing three conservative jurists to the court during President Donald Trump's tenure — rejected the concerns as a "coordinated effort to nullify" the justice's presence on the court.

"The left's quest to delegitimize the Supreme Court found its latest outlet," McConnell said on the Senate floor. "Washington Democrats are now trying to bully this exemplary judge of 30-plus years out of entire legal subjects, or off the court entirely."

While I agree that resignation or impeachment is going too far and may well have an underlying wish to get one more liberal justice on the Court, I find it hard to believe Mitch can't see the argument for recusal.
Recusal isn't enough. He had the chance to do so and demonstrated he will not. He must resign or be impeached.

But she is directly, openly involved in the Stop the Steal efforts. It was basically her job snd she worked closely with many of the targets of the 1-6 Committee. So whether or not she did anything wrong isn't the point. It's more that anything involving the planning of that movement may involve Clarence Thomas's wife.
The point is painfully obvious. The left believes Thomas will rule against their agenda and whether by hook or crook they want him off the case.

Last edited:
The point is painfully obvious. The left believes Thomas will against their agenda and whether by hook or crook they want him off the case.
Well, that's Mitch's read on it, for sure. I agree that there is no evidence Ginni was involved in the Capitol riot directly, but she was heavily involved in the activities now being examined by the 1-6 Committee. Just like her texts to Mark Meadows 'happened' to show up when his records were given to the committee. There is no way of predicting where else she might surface.

Well, that's Mitch's read on it, for sure. I agree that there is no evidence Ginni was involved in the Capitol riot directly, but she was heavily involved in the activities now being examined by the 1-6 Committee. Just like her texts to Mark Meadows 'happened' to show up when his records were given to the committee. There is no way of predicting where else sh

Maybe if something more comes out I will change my mind but as of now I see no reason for him to recuse other than to appease partisan demands being made by the left.

Maybe if something more comes out I will change my mind but as of now I see no reason for him to recuse other than to appease partisan demands being made by the left.
One thing you might want to look at.

One of her presentations: This woman had her tentacles in many activities.

1648695403686.png

She is. But the whole lot of them are currently being investigated for potential conspiracy to stop the Congress from doing its job. So he should not be involved in decisions that would have legal liability for her.

That's already the standard.

And Mrs. Thomas has no legal liability.

My favorite Mitch McConnell quotes:

"This was an intensifying crescendo of conspiracy theories orchestrated by an outgoing president who seemed determined to either overturn the voters' decision or else torch our institutions on the way out."
"There is no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day,"
"A mob was assaulting the Capitol in his name," he said. "These criminals were carrying his banners, hanging his flags and screaming their loyalty to him."

He further excoriates Trump here:

If this isn't hypocrisy...

Lets make it simple for you, if you are indicted for a crime and the jury is being picked, could your wife be on the jury?

Mrs. Thomas has not been charged with anything.
There hasn't even been the first step to go to court, never mind to scotus.

My favorite Mitch McConnell quotes:

"This was an intensifying crescendo of conspiracy theories orchestrated by an outgoing president who seemed determined to either overturn the voters' decision or else torch our institutions on the way out."
"There is no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day,"
"A mob was assaulting the Capitol in his name," he said. "These criminals were carrying his banners, hanging his flags and screaming their loyalty to him."

Yet he somehow managed to save Trump from impeachment. Incredible.

Once again Mitch choosing to tow the Republican party line over the interests of the nation and the American people.

Once again Mitch choosing to tow the Republican party line over the interests of the nation and the American people.
It IS Mitch's job, but the way the Republicans have been acting, he's got a hard row to hoe.

If his wife is involved, that is sufficient reason.

There have been no claims that his wife was involved.
She has not been charged with anything, and she expressly denounces the riot.

No.
But having a spouse with a political opinion that may, in some fashion, come before SCOTUS, isnt a conflict either.
An opinion is way different than actual involvement. Her texts put her right there at the top with some of the coup plotters.

You and I both have opinions. But we weren't involved in the attempt to obstruct congress. And all we have from Ginni at this point are a handful of texts. There is likely more.

An opinion is way different than actual involvement. Her texts put her right there at the top with some of the coup plotters.

You and I both have opinions. But we weren't involved in the attempt to obstruct congress. And all we have from Ginni at this point are a handful of texts. There is likely more.

None of which deal with planning for riots.

None of which deal with planning for riots.
The riot is not the only thing being investigated. The planning is high on the committees list. It is now also on DOJs list, as was announced last night.

She was actively communicating with the coup planners. She is neck deep in it. Thomas has no business ruling on anything 1-6 related, period. It's really that simple.

Insurrection? What insurrection? Just a peaceful protest where a few people were overcome with patriotism.

The riot is not the only thing being investigated. The planning is high on the committees list. It is now also on DOJs list, as was announced last night.

She was actively communicating with the coup planners. She is neck deep in it. Thomas has no business ruling on anything 1-6 related, period. It's really that simple.

Not really.
Justices are allowed to have spouses.
Those spouses are allowed to have their own political opinions and their own life.
The laws governing recusals concern financial benefits and legal jeopardy.
Should Mrs. Thomas find herself charged AND that charge in some fashion winds up in SCOTUS, then yes, he would have to recuse.

If you wish to argue that a SCOTUS justice needs to recuse in any situation where there is a remote connection between the issue at hand and personal life, fine, but that is not the present rule, nor is it the present practice, nor are those who otherwise demanding Thomas to recuse himself here are demanding such a change to would apply to all the justices.

Trump supporters will never admit that justice must not only be impartial justice must be perceived as impartial when it comes to Trump and the events of the 6th......except of course when it is them perceiving that a judge is biased against their causes. They are forever complaining about the bias of Democrat appointed judges. Hell, they even scream some sort of bias when Republican judges rule against Trump on election matters. They need to believe the election was stolen, they need to believe Trump had nothing to do with what happened on the 6th, they need to believe the 6th wasn't that big a deal, they need to believe Trump is a victim. It is a true and desperate need we see daily.

Back
Top Bottom