• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell says bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’ by Democrats

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
So cocaine mitch thinks voting is a Democratic power-grab. :lol:

McConnell says bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’ by Democrats

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Wednesday that a Democratic bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a “power grab,” sparking a fierce backlash online. McConnell was speaking about H.R. 1, legislation that Democrats have made a centerpiece of their agenda since retaking the House earlier this month.

In remarks on the Senate floor, McConnell (R-Ky.) said Democrats “want taxpayers on the hook for generous new benefits for federal bureaucrats and government employees,” including making Election Day a “new paid holiday for government workers.” “So this is the Democrats’ plan to ‘restore democracy,’” McConnell said, describing the legislation as “a political power grab that’s smelling more and more like what it is.”​

Republicans are hostile to democracy. Just look at their leader. A pettier tyrant wannabe one could not find.

I am not necessarily for or against a federal holiday for election day, I can see the arguments on both sides, but Mitch McConnel himself being against it is no surprise. He nor most Republicans would want anything that can be perceived as easier to vote.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Wednesday that a Democratic bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a “power grab,” sparking a fierce backlash online. McConnell was speaking about H.R. 1, legislation that Democrats have made a centerpiece of their agenda since retaking the House earlier this month.

In remarks on the Senate floor, McConnell (R-Ky.) said Democrats “want taxpayers on the hook for generous new benefits for federal bureaucrats and government employees,” including making Election Day a “new paid holiday for government workers.” “So this is the Democrats’ plan to ‘restore democracy,’” McConnell said, describing the legislation as “a political power grab that’s smelling more and more like what it is.”​

Republicans want to suppress the vote as much as possible. They know well they are a minority party and the more people that vote the worse it is for them and their chances of victory.

In most civilized nations where politicians want the institutions of government and democracy to be strong and vibrant, it is in the selfish interests of Republicans to do the opposite here.

Red, white and blue, funny things you do.

America, America, this is you.

Can’t wait to see if this gets any traction, Fox News run wall to wall coverage about the evils of giving people the day off to vote.

What do you think of a National Voter ID.

We have been close to at least a National ID card, for some time. My grandparents are buried @ USMA, West Point. It used to be an open post, that is there were no restrictions on access. After 9/11 that changed as most US military facilities. My state is far removed from NY. When I presented my state operators permit the MP ran the card through a credit card type reader and returned the permit.That stripe on the rear of state permits (drivers) is readable across state lines. This was at least ten years ago.

I always thought that election days should be holidays. Lots of states make voting really easy, like in Colorado you can do it all by mail in ballot, but I think we should encourage people to vote, and that election day everyone should have off.

The problem with "federal" holidays is all the tax paid workers get it and Joe working stiff doesn't. Just like the government shut down. They were home watching TV and got paid for not working. A free holiday. And now you want to give them another one?

The man who helped keep 800,000 Americans from getting paid (and, in many cases, working) is now claiming there is something wrong with Americans not working so they can participate in democracy.

The leadership in the Republican party could very well be the most unpatriotic politicians America has had in modern history.

McConnell is right. Anything that can get more people voting will benefit the dems.

I am not necessarily for or against a federal holiday for election day, I can see the arguments on both sides, but Mitch McConnel himself being against it is no surprise. He nor most Republicans would want anything that can be perceived as easier to vote.

The bill contains much more than simply adding a new federal holiday.

The far-reaching legislation would also prohibit the purging of voter rolls, require presidential and vice-presidential candidates to release their tax returns, compel states to adopt independent redistricting commissions and create a matching system for small-dollar donations to congressional campaigns, among other changes.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...se-democrats-anti-corruption-bill-hr-1-pelosi

Last edited:

At least he is honest.

The more people that vote, the lesser the likelihood of extending this minority rule we are under.

We have been close to at least a National ID card, for some time. My grandparents are buried @ USMA, West Point. It used to be an open post, that is there were no restrictions on access. After 9/11 that changed as most US military facilities. My state is far removed from NY. When I presented my state operators permit the MP ran the card through a credit card type reader and returned the permit.That stripe on the rear of state permits (drivers) is readable across state lines. This was at least ten years ago.

Real ID Act has standardized driver's licenses and State ID's.

This cynical play by Mitch reveals just how empty and shallow the GOP has become in my lifetime. The party that once gave the vote to slaves now does everything it can to keep people from voting and calls any attempt to make it easier to vote a blatant power grab. It is sad that what is left of our democracy is being attacked constantly by forces whose only aim is to benefit the few at the expense of the many.

I think it is an attempted derail from the topic.
Was the topic Mitch McConnell?
I thought the topic was perceived power grabs and efforts to stop them.

Real ID Act has standardized driver's licenses and State ID's.

Not much of a reach to a National ID card then, thanks, hadn’t heard of the Act.

I am for it. We already have one but the system that maintains and creates it is broken, its our Social Security Card. Spend the billions needed to clean the database up, reissue cards that are secure and impossible to forge and use it as your national ID. We could fix many problems by making this a national priority.

It would certainly make voting easier for everyone. That doesn't necessarily mean voter turnout will be significantly higher. Many people do not go to the polls even when they have the time.

I think it would be better if the Democrats proposed that their party be allowed to pre-fill out the ballots of all registered voters, and if people do not apply to have the votes changed on voting day, the Democrats' entries stand. That way, everyone's ballot is counted! :mrgreen:

Not much of a reach to a National ID card then, thanks, hadn’t heard of the Act.

It's essentially a National ID card, it was one of the purposes of the Real ID Act. It's an older Act, it came out a few years after the (un)Patriot Act. Most states are compliant with it now, some have extensions.

The topic is actually McConnell calling this bill a power grab. As for National Voter ID I am all for it as long as either the state or federal government foots the bill for the cost of the ID and not the voter.

Back
Top Bottom