• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell says bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’ by Democrats

Why do we need an 'election day' at all? Why not have an election two weeks to give everyone a chance to vote with a sign 'open on weekends from 7-7.

Because Republicans do better when turnout is low.

And an interesting side note: trumps favorability among republicans is solid. But there are fewer republicans now than when he was elected.

I agree 100% with no real practical benefit to making Election Day a holiday. For the reason I wrote earlier and of course, because of the fact that the great majority of Americans can or do mail in their votes.

It will just be another day for people to extend their weekends...take off that Monday in between, get a 4 day weekend, and (sadly) put as much thought into voting as they do to Memorial Day or Labor Day now.

LOL! So you're compelled to be dishonest about this bill running afoul of the Constitution, eh?

McConnell lied through his teeth: this isn't even remotely a 'power grab', nor can you or he demonstrate that it is.

To republicans, more people voting IS effectively a "power grab".

I'm not sure it would make a difference, as to turnout that is. If you look at the turnout history, 1968 was the the last year this country had a 60% turnout. Only two years since 1936, 1944 and 48 this country had a 60% plus turnout. This was when there was only election day, no early voting, no weekend voting, everyone had to turnout on election day or not vote. Since then we've bent over backwards to get people to the polls, it hasn't worked. Why would make election day a federal holiday enhance turnout. We've had states that have went to mail in ballots, played with computer voting from home. Made election day a 3 week to 6 week process in most states with early voting. Still we don't approach what was the normal turnout of 60% plus between 1936-68.

I don't think making election day a federal holiday would make one iota of a difference. If one has 3-6 weeks to vote and doesn't, why would he show up on election day even if it was a holiday? I think there are other reasons why we can't match that turnout when there was just one day and one day only, election day.

I think if one identifies with one or the other major party, he is more likely to vote than not. From 1936 thru 1968 around 75% of the total electorate were Republicans or Democrats. Since 1968 there been a steep decline in those who affiliate with both major parties. From 75% down to 55% today. That corresponds to the rise in independents who aren't all that political active or pay that much attention. They also don't vote as much or as a percentage. In 2016 the democrats made up but 30% of the total electorate, but 36% of those who actually voted. Republicans made up 27% of the total electorate, but 33% of those who voted. Independents made up 40% of the total electorate, but only 31% of those who went to the polls.

Those who identified or affiliated with the two major parties were over represented when it came to those who actually voted. Independents, vastly under represented. Independents do not have the stake in elections that Republicans and Democrats do. Hence they are far less likely to show up and vote even when they have 3-6 weeks to do so. Making election day a federal holiday isn't about to motivate them. My two cents anyway.

Are those early votes actually part of the election day count or are they not counted unless the race is close as some mail votes are?

That may be the point of it.

Giving candidates for federal office more money is not the solution.

No private money. Just public money.

Private money can do uncoordinated ads. Or better yet, stop investing in candidates altogether.

No private money. Just public money.

Private money can do uncoordinated ads. Or better yet, stop investing in candidates altogether.

Hmm... the bill stated that private money was the prerequisite for doling out that public money. Folks (like me) are unlikely to pick someone other than themselves as their candidate of choice if they get a guaranteed 600% return on investment.

Are those early votes actually part of the election day count or are they not counted unless the race is close as some mail votes are?

Regular, early voting ballots are counted in the total. (You can do a provisional ballot early). This is part of the reason you'll see some races called at poll closing, with 0% of the precincts reporting, and a lot of votes.

In Texas, we were up to 40% of the vote cast early (higher in more populated areas). It's worked really well. i was surprised to hear that several states still don't use it.

So I responded to your concern that I was misrepresenting the proposed law.

That was not what I said your misrepresentation was.

Your misrepresentation is that the law merely gives federal employees a day off. It does more than that because it makes Election Day a federal holiday

IOW, you response was not responsive to what I am actually concerned about.

Aaaand....I already noted that the inherent fairness or lack of wouldn't impress someone who was unconcerned with the concept.

And I noted that, aside from this law, your concern with the concept is equally absent.

You should support my proposal that all NRA members be legislatively mandated a paid holiday in order to vote their interests. It's inherently unfair (which is of no concern) and it will potentially allow more people to vote. Whether it "benefits society" or not? Pffft. The supporters of a poll tax were of the mind it benefitted society.

Why should I? It would be unconstitutional.

Early voting are tabulated on a daily basis, only the total number of those who vote early are released. Again depending on the state, either daily or weekly. What isn't released is the candidates total. Come election day, after the polls close, those early vote totals along with with those who voted on election are released via precinct. In most states, absentee ballots must be received on or before election day, although in some, being post marked on or before election day is good enough. This is why in some states you have to wait a week or longer for the official ballot totals.

That was not what I said your misrepresentation was.

Your misrepresentation is that the law merely gives federal employees a day off. It does more than that because it makes Election Day a federal holiday

IOW, you response was not responsive to what I am actually concerned about.

Actually I've been pretty consistent in saying it gives federal employees a paid holiday. I've also noted that it establishes election day as a federal holiday.

"Oh look! A federal holiday!", doesn't seem particularly significant to me.

And I noted that, aside from this law, your concern with the concept is equally absent.

Why should I? It would be unconstitutional.

Not quite. You assumed that I was as unconcerned as yourself.

My national NRA election holiday is unconstitutional? Maybe it is. Are you quite sure it is constitutional to pay federal employees to engage in political activities?

Actually I've been pretty consistent in saying it gives federal employees a paid holiday. I've also noted that it establishes election day as a federal holiday.

"Oh look! A federal holiday!", doesn't seem particularly significant to me.

That must be because you do not know what a federal holiday entails.

Not quite. You assumed that I was as unconcerned as yourself.

No, not exactly. You seem to be concerned about it, but only with regards to this proposed law. Otherwise, you are as unconcerned as I am.
My national NRA election holiday is unconstitutional? Maybe it is. Are you quite sure it is constitutional to pay federal employees to engage in political activities?

Now you misrepresenting the proposal.

Back
Top Bottom