• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell privately cautions Trump about emergency declaration on border wall

OscarLevant

Gadfly Extraordinaire
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Even with Trump's own party the wall isn't a priority.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...1262c-2646-11e9-81fd-b7b05d5bed90_story.html?

McConnell (R-Ky.) told Trump that Congress might end up passing a resolution disapproving the emergency declaration, the people said — which would force the president to contemplate issuing his first veto ever, in the face of opposition from his own party.

The majority leader’s comments to the president came amid rising GOP concerns over the fallout if Trump were to declare a national emergency that would allow him to circumvent Congress and use the military to build new stretches of wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. Trump increasingly appears prepared to take that route, saying Friday that “I think there’s a good chance we’ll have to do that.”

I doubt Trump cares about the future of the GOP. He only cares about his own political future. Therefore, I think McConnell is wasting his time here.

I doubt Trump cares about the future of the GOP. He only cares about his own political future. Therefore, I think McConnell is wasting his time here.

I don't even think it's "political future" as much as how he can spin this into a book series and Reality TV show when it's all said and done.

I can't get through the pay-wall, and can't say I believe this story unequivocally.

But the McConnell & Trump got spanked by the Dem's shutdown bill getting more support in the Senate than theirs, so behind-the-scenes it is possible McConnell is either fighting or bracing Trump for failure.

I doubt Trump cares about the future of the GOP...especially the GOP Elites. He only cares about the security of the American citizens. Therefore, I think McConnell is wasting his time here.

I don't even think it's "political future" as much as how he can spin this into a book series and Reality TV show when it's all said and done.
... and a media network, to release his long pent-up jealousy of Micheal Bloomberg.

I doubt Trump cares about the future of the GOP...especially the GOP Elites. He only cares about the security of the American citizens. Therefore, I think McConnell is wasting his time here.

Trump doesn't really care about building the wall. He cares about keeping the political issue alive for the next campaign. You've been played by Trump...again.

Trump doesn't really care about building the wall. He cares about keeping the political issue alive for the next campaign. You've been played by Trump...again.

???

What has Trump said or done that could possibly give you that idea?

Many in the party are upset with Trump's obsession over the wall because, no, they don't think it a priority and because they know that they'd have to give Democrats a win on something like DACA to get the Democrats to agree with the wall. So the GOP-ers would have to give away a lot for something they didn't want to begin with ... all to please Trump and Trump's fanbase. Ironicaly, the fanbase would then have to rationalize how they didn't care about what they had to give for the wall -- even amnesty -- all that matters is supporting Trump's quixotic goals.

I can't get through the pay-wall, and can't say I believe this story unequivocally.

But the McConnell & Trump got spanked by the Dem's shutdown bill getting more support in the Senate than theirs, so behind-the-scenes it is possible McConnell is either fighting or bracing Trump for failure.

The latter is closer to the truth, if not THE truth.

I think McConnell sees the correct outcome of a "national emergency". He knows that when there is an emergency, one does not wait two years to do something about it ( they should have declared it immediately upon taking office ) and this fact will be the reason SCOTUS will shoot it down. McConnell is telling the prez that this will happen, to avoid another major humiliation for the prez, and thus the GOP.

I believe it because when one understand that McConnell's doing it for preservation of the GOP, not just the president. He's trying to avoid a hand grenade the left will throw at them if he does this, and it's shot down, which seems to be likely, given the above fact.

BS, Trump cares about the future of America, thats why lefties and Rinos fight him every step of the way. They only care about themselves

Many in the party are upset with Trump's obsession over the wall because, no, they don't think it a priority and because they know that they'd have to give Democrats a win on something like DACA to get the Democrats to agree with the wall. So the GOP-ers would have to give away a lot for something they didn't want to begin with ... all to please Trump and Trump's fanbase. Ironicaly, the fanbase would then have to rationalize how they didn't care about what they had to give for the wall -- even amnesty -- all that matters is supporting Trump's quixotic goals.

Yes, the man from La Mancha is an apt metaphor for this administration.

BS, Trump cares about the future of America, thats why lefties and Rinos fight him every step of the way. They only care about themselves

That's funny! Trump has never cared about anyone whose last name wasn't Trump, his entire life. He's a draft dodger who has sought to enrich himself at the expense of all else. And now, suddenly he's some patriot who cares about the American people. Get out of here with that bull****.

The latter is closer to the truth, if not THE truth.

I think McConnell sees the correct outcome of a "national emergency". He knows that when there is an emergency, one does not wait two years to do something about it ( they should have declared it immediately upon taking office ) and this fact will be the reason SCOTUS will shoot it down. McConnell is telling the prez that this will happen, to avoid another major humiliation for the prez, and thus the GOP.

I believe it because when one understand that McConnell's doing it for preservation of the GOP, not just the president. He's trying to avoid a hand grenade the left will throw at them if he does this, and it's shot down, which seems to be likely, given the above fact.
Agreed. McConnell sees 2020 & the future, right around the corner, and knows it may be Trump-less. And that would leave his party quite the impotent orphans, needing to fend for themselves ...

The fact that he turned down $25 billion for the stupid project should have clued you lot in.

Do you know WHY he did that?

(hint: I'm not asking you what your opinion is, I'm asking you the reason HE gave)

The fact that he turned down $25 billion for the stupid project should have clued you lot in.

First, there was nothing to turn down because it didn't even make it to his desk, and second, the dems "diluted" the $25 billion and restrictions on legal immigration.

"The vote was 54-45 in favor, but that was short of the 60 that were needed for approval. Eight Republicans bucked their party and supported the measure while three Democrats abandoned their own leaders and opposed it.

... Trump would offer 1.8 million Dreamers a 10- to 12-year process for gaining citizenship, provide $25 billion to build his coveted U.S.-Mexico border wall and restrict legal immigration. Dreamers are immigrants brought to the U.S. illegally as children who risk deportation because they lack permanent authorization to stay in the U.S.

Instead, Democratic leaders rallied behind a bipartisan plan that would also give 1.8 million Dreamers a chance for citizenship. But while it would provide the $25 billion Trump wants for his wall, it would dole it out over 10 years and lacks most of the limits Trump is seeking on legal immigration. ..."

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/n...ts-daca-bill-25-billion-for-wall/67-519361171

In other words, dems intentionally offered a dud ...

And I'll bet you actually believe Trump wrote The Art of the deal, as well, eh?

(Hint: written by Tony Schwartz)

That's funny! Trump has never cared about anyone whose last name wasn't Trump, his entire life. He's a draft dodger who has sought to enrich himself at the expense of all else. And now, suddenly he's some patriot who cares about the American people. Get out of here with that bull****.
Jobs coming back. TDS is rife here.

Agreed. McConnell sees 2020 & the future, right around the corner, and knows it may be Trump-less.

It probably will be Trump-less. And there are far more GOP Senate seats (including McConnell's) up for reelection in 2020 that there were in 2018.

With Trumps disastrous 35 day government shutdown and McConnell's refusal to bring House funding bills to the Senate floor, the Turtle knows the GOP is highly vulnerable.

I'll be curious to see how this plays out if this is true..its gonna put a lot of blame on trump if this happens..mitch must know something..

Look up "strawman" in wikipedia, please.
I have multiple times. Your post was a textbook straw man. Textbook.
Post your definition please then we will examine your post in front of the forum using your research.

Back
Top Bottom