• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell privately cautions Trump about emergency declaration on border wall

McConnell was on tv on tuesday saying a shutdown or a declaration of emergency is not a good thing. He even went further criticizing the fist shutdown as basically a waste.

Mitch is doing everything in his power to defend his senators from this president, which in my opinion is why he didn't bring votes to the floor. As much as I think mitch is a worthless piece of, he's smart in the ways of the senate. He knows another shutdown will really hurt the GOP.

Trump doesn't really care about building the wall. He cares about keeping the political issue alive for the next campaign. You've been played by Trump...again.

Idiotic.

If Trump doesn't get the Wall built, he loses the majority of his base.

The fact that he turned down $25 billion for the stupid project should have clued you lot in.

$2.5 billion a year for 10 years and never fully funded.

More Democrat trickery.

I have multiple times. Your post was a textbook straw man. Textbook.
Post your definition please then we will examine your post in front of the forum using your research.

Sorry, you don't know what it means.

BS, Trump cares about the future of America, thats why lefties and Rinos fight him every step of the way. They only care about themselves

Yeah, in bizarro world.

Idiotic.

No, it's the fight that keeps the base inline.

Idiotic.

If he's seem trying to build the wall against democratic opposition, it remains a powerful campaign issue in 2020. And btw, trying to insult me doesn't strengthen your argument. Just thought I'd point that out to you.

If he's seem trying to build the wall against democratic opposition, it remains a powerful campaign issue in 2020. And btw, trying to insult me doesn't strengthen your argument. Just thought I'd point that out to you.

I don't care if you feel insulted or not. You make stupid comments thinking you have the pulse of our side and I'll call you out on it.

Again, if Trump fails to build the Wall, he loses the majority of his support. End of story.

"Tried" doesn't cut it.

I doubt Trump cares about the future of the GOP...especially the GOP Elites. He only cares about the security of the American citizens. Therefore, I think McConnell is wasting his time here.
You funny. :lol:

I doubt Trump cares about the future of the GOP. He only cares about his own political future. Therefore, I think McConnell is wasting his time here.

The thing is, Trump's republican support in Congress is waning rapidly. Trump really has no political future, he cannot be reelected relying solely on a base that that is downward trending. He's not making any effort to increase his base, he's only trying to keep what he has happy and it's not going to be enough to elect him again in 2020. The Republicans in Congress know this and that's why they're beginning to distance from him one by one. He's becoming an island unto himself and with only the support of pundits like Hannity, Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh it's simply not going to be enough. Plus, he has screwed up many times in the past two years and he has another 2 year to double or even triple his screw ups.

66% of people polled are against his calling a national emergency. An 'emergency' by definition is something that's an abrupt urgent crisis that requires immediate action, like the WTC disaster for example. Trump's 'crisis' is a political weapon and people understand that it's hyperbole to describe the caravans, or the drugs as an 'immediate crisis' because he claimed it was a crisis 2 years ago, one year ago, 3 months ago. If it was a genuine crisis all those times and no national emergency was called then he would actually be remiss for not calling it back then. It's political manipulation and clearly unconstitutional. If he dares to do it, it will most certainly result in impeachment hearings and those 'old faithful' GOP sycophants aren't going to stick with him in this battle, it's unwinnable.

Even with Trump's own party the wall isn't a priority.

Not surprising. The upper echelons of the Republican party are educated people, who know and understand ladder technology.

Sorry, you don't know what it means.

Lol, dear god, the post was a textbook straw man. Textbook. Your dictionary is broken and your reading and comprehension teacher was most likely fired.

I don't care if you feel insulted or not. You make stupid comments thinking you have the pulse of our side and I'll call you out on it.

Again, if Trump fails to build the Wall, he loses the majority of his support. End of story.

"Tried" doesn't cut it.

I don't see that as a problem. Trump can put up five feet of fence, tell his base he built five hundred miles of concrete and steel wall, and his base will cheer themselves hoarse at Trump's great victory over Pelosi and the leftists.

I don't see that as a problem. Trump can put up five feet of fence, tell his base he built five hundred miles of concrete and steel wall, and his base will cheer themselves hoarse at Trump's great victory over Pelosi and the leftists.

We're not nickel head liberals so that probably won't fly.

"Tried" doesn't cut it.

I don't "feel insulted" because in order to do so, I'd have to respect the source and you just sound like an angry little man.

As for the wall issue, he's not getting the wall built, so where do you all go?

Last edited:
I can't get through the pay-wall, and can't say I believe this story unequivocally.

But the McConnell & Trump got spanked by the Dem's shutdown bill getting more support in the Senate than theirs, so behind-the-scenes it is possible McConnell is either fighting or bracing Trump for failure.
I'd wager that McConnell wants Trump to just take a deal, and call it a "wall deal" no matter what is in it.

I'd wager that McConnell wants Trump to just take a deal, and call it a "wall deal" no matter what is in it.
Of course.

Trump will absolutely sign whatever Pelosi & McConnell give him. He has no choice. Then he'll either proudly declare he has his wall, or he'll punt away to the courts via a fake national emergency that goes nowhere.

Quite honestly, I suspect he'd prefer to suspend constitutional order (via national emergency) so he can have free reign.

Even with Trump's own party the wall isn't a priority.
IF McConnell told Trump "privately" how do we know about it?

From your link
The two men met alone and conversed with no aides present. Their meeting was not publicly announced.

Of course.

Trump will absolutely sign whatever Pelosi & McConnell give him. He has no choice. Then he'll either proudly declare he has his wall, or he'll punt away to the courts via a fake national emergency that goes nowhere.

Quite honestly, I suspect he'd prefer to suspend constitutional order (via national emergency) so he can have free reign.
That might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for a few of his reluctant voters.

I doubt he'll do it. He knows it would do him no good, as not one brick for his wall would go up while the lawsuits are going.

That might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for a few of his reluctant voters.

I doubt he'll do it. He knows it would do him no good, as not one brick for his wall would go up while the lawsuits are going.
No, I think his hardcore will think he's fighting and championing for him. After all he's declaring a national emergency, isn't he? Sending the military, and all?

Back
Top Bottom