• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

McConnell, Pelosi dispute Trump, vow peaceful power transfer

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congressional leaders from both parties, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, swiftly pushed back Thursday after President Donald Trump declined to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses the Nov. 3 presidential election.

Trump said during a Wednesday news conference, “We’re going to have to see what happens,” responding to a question about committing to the results. “You know that I’ve been complaining very strongly about the ballots, and the ballots are a disaster.”

By Thursday, the White House sought to clarify Trump’s words

“The president will accept the results of a free and fair election,” said Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany. But she said Trump does want to “get rid of mass, mail-out voting,” which he claims without evidence will lead to massive fraudulent ballots.

Reaction to Trump’s comments was strong and negative from Capitol Hill. Lawmakers from both parties — including leaders of Trump’s Republican Party — had no hesitation in committing to an orderly transfer if he loses.

“The winner of the November 3rd election will be inaugurated on January 20th,” McConnell said in a tweet. “There will be an orderly transition just as there has been every four years since 1792.”
========================================================
I think we will all be watching.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congressional leaders from both parties, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, swiftly pushed back Thursday after President Donald Trump declined to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses the Nov. 3 presidential election.

Trump said during a Wednesday news conference, “We’re going to have to see what happens,” responding to a question about committing to the results. “You know that I’ve been complaining very strongly about the ballots, and the ballots are a disaster.”

“The president will accept the results of a free and fair election,” said Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany. But she said Trump does want to “get rid of mass, mail-out voting,” which he claims without evidence will lead to massive fraudulent ballots.

Reaction to Trump’s comments was strong and negative from Capitol Hill. Lawmakers from both parties — including leaders of Trump’s Republican Party — had no hesitation in committing to an orderly transfer if he loses.

“The winner of the November 3rd election will be inaugurated on January 20th,” McConnell said in a tweet. “There will be an orderly transition just as there has been every four years since 1792.”
I believe Pelosi, McConnell has proven he is not to be trusted and his words are hollow.

One thing Trump is right about is that ballots will be a big problem for him. Mail-in ballots, in-person ballots, it doesn't matter. Mostly because most of the ballots will reflect a vote for Biden. Those votes/ballots will determine the next president and it's not looking to good for the Trumpster. I'm sure, if he could find a way, he would do away with the voting thing altogether.

I believe Pelosi, McConnell has proven he is not to be trusted and his words are hollow.

...but maybe we could get Lindsey Graham to pledge we will have a peaceful transition of power. We know that his word is always his bond.

One thing Trump is right about is that ballots will be a big problem for him. Mail-in ballots, in-person ballots, it doesn't matter. Mostly because most of the ballots will reflect a vote for Biden. Those votes/ballots will determine the next president and it's not looking to good for the Trumpster. I'm sure, if he could find a way, he would do away with the voting thing altogether.

We will have to work on having elections without ballots or voting. Totalitarian style. Thank you for raising this point.

Would ANYONE be stupid enough to claim that the rat party and their idiot leftist supporters EVER embraced a peaceful transition and are not in fact continuing in their throws of hatred and violence TODAY?

The moment Biden hits 270, it is over.
Sorry but that IS how it works, first candidate that hits 270 is the President of the United States.

And the results that we DO get on Election Night will most likely reflect a trend, either in that direction or not in that direction.
I don't think it will possible to see enough state trends to predict the winner with confidence on Election Night but the trends will be quite clear.

Would ANYONE be stupid enough to claim that the rat party and their idiot leftist supporters EVER embraced a peaceful transition and are not in fact continuing in their throws of hatred and violence TODAY?

That's not the most butt-hurt I've seen in two lines of text, but I can see it from here.

There was no peaceful transfer of power in 2016. We are STILL waiting for the Marxist democrats to accept the results of the 2016 election.

Also, the Khmer Rouge democrats have already said they will engage in a civil war if they can't steal the election.

The moment Biden hits 270, it is over.
Sorry but that IS how it works, first candidate that hits 270 is the President of the United States.

And the results that we DO get on Election Night will most likely reflect a trend, either in that direction or not in that direction.
I don't think it will possible to see enough state trends to predict the winner with confidence on Election Night but the trends will be quite clear.
But the threat is that Republican machines in swing states will send dedicated Trumpian electors to the Electoral College. They are not bound to vote for the one with the most votes.

There was no peaceful transfer of power in 2016. We are STILL waiting for the Marxist democrats to accept the results of the 2016 election.

Also, the Khmer Rouge democrats have already said they will engage in a civil war if they can't steal the election.
Can't wait to see your source for that phat one.

This blankety-blank media is really getting on my nerves. They've got nothing else to report on so they're working everyone into a lather over the what-if of Trump pulling some kind of coup if he doesn't win. There are many protections in place to prevent this and we are not helpless and powerless to ensure that the rightful winner is seated at 1600 Pennsylvania come January 21st.
We went through similar pearl clenching when he refused in '16 to agree to accept the results of the election. Remember?

It's overwrought boogeyman stuff. RELAX! The government's got this.

And I hope to God I'm right.

1. There aren't any Marxist in the Democratic Party. Not even AOC or Bernie Sanders can in any way be described as a Marxist.

2. The non-violent, peaceful protests after Trump won in 2016 does not in any way resemble what you are describing.

3. Please study the French and Russian revolutions, and also the U.S. Civil War, if you want an idea of what people are thinking about when they are thinking about violent transfers of power.

I'm glad they were able to work that out for Democrats. Maybe now we'll hear fewer crazy leftists concerned about military coups as they sip pumpkin lattes at Starbucks.

I'm glad they were able to work that out for Democrats. Maybe now we'll hear fewer crazy leftists concerned about military coups as they sip pumpkin lattes at Starbucks.

You know, one good way of mitigating "crazy" leftists from talking about coups is to have the President stop talking about not committing to a peaceful transfers of power.

That would help.

Also, what would really help is if Trump supporters took a stand against these idiotic comments by Trump and condemned his comments.

That would help a lot as well.

Pass it on.

Thanks.

The headline is misleading. No surprise.

Who's been threatening civil war again?
Hey Mr. Goebbels, not only are you folks the ones making the threats, here's a news flash for you, Trump win or Trump lose, that civil war IS COMING but not on your terms or at the time and place of your choosing.
And that's because people have had enough of the constant stream of threats...from the Trumpers.
You WILL lose, for the second time in history.
And there will be no reformation and no reunification this time around.

This blankety-blank media is really getting on my nerves. They've got nothing else to report on so they're working everyone into a lather over the what-if of Trump pulling some kind of coup if he doesn't win. There are many protections in place to prevent this and we are not helpless and powerless to ensure that the rightful winner is seated at 1600 Pennsylvania come January 21st.
We went through similar pearl clenching when he refused in '16 to agree to accept the results of the election. Remember?

It's overwrought boogeyman stuff. RELAX! The government's got this.

And I hope to God I'm right.

Yeah and the only reason you're "hoping you're right" is because you're no longer sure if you're supposed to act like a Russian or not with regard to the media, so what do you propose? Should Bob Woodward NOT share Trump speaking on tape and lying through his teeth?
Should the press NOT ask Trump if he is committed to a peaceful transition of power?
And when he doesn't, do you then get to attack the news media for NOT TELLING US?
Your conditioning by Putin is almost complete, and it's alarming.

The countries where people talk about the news media this way are almost exclusively failed third world dictatorships.

Argle bargle bargle.

Yes, there is still fighting going on in the mountains of Kansas between federal forces and the rebel Clintonistas. 🤪

Yeah and the only reason you're "hoping you're right" is because you're no longer sure if you're supposed to act like a Russian or not with regard to the media, so what do you propose? Should Bob Woodward NOT share Trump speaking on tape and lying through his teeth?
Should the press NOT ask Trump if he is committed to a peaceful transition of power?
And when he doesn't, do you then get to attack the news media for NOT TELLING US?
Your conditioning by Putin is almost complete, and it's alarming.

The countries where people talk about the news media this way are almost exclusively failed third world dictatorships.
You've got me all wrong. I'm a strong supporter of the media against Trumpist attacks and the recent efforts and threats Trump has made to shut them up. But they aren't saints, either, and calling me a Russian on absolutely no evidence whatsoever is not going to change my mind.

The countries where people talk about their media are free countries where people are allowed to freely express their opinions, and this is one of them. Sorry I've stepped too far off the reservation for you, but I call them like I see them and this current WHATh IF OMIGOD hysteria is the media manufacturing clicks. They're in it for the money; there's nothing wrong with that, but stirring up a big turmoil over something that hasn't happened and is on the outer limits of believable is beyond my tolerance level.

I have no doubt that if he loses (which he'd better) there will be a lot of arguing over ballots and he'll do his typical running to Mommy Court to defend or at least stall for him. I am predicting the lame duck term will be an absolute Excedrin headache. I just believe that the powers that be and the systems in place will prevent him from holding power if he loses.

If, come January 21st, the man has lost the vote and is still in the White House, I invite you to come back and rub my nose in it.

You've got me all wrong. I'm a strong supporter of the media against Trumpist attacks and the recent efforts and threats Trump has made to shut them up. But they aren't saints, either, and calling me a Russian on absolutely no evidence whatsoever is not going to change my mind.

The countries where people talk about their media are free countries where people are allowed to freely express their opinions, and this is one of them. Sorry I've stepped too far off the reservation for you, but I call them like I see them and this current WHATh IF OMIGOD hysteria is the media manufacturing clicks. They're in it for the money; there's nothing wrong with that, but stirring up a big turmoil over something that hasn't happened and is on the outer limits of believable is beyond my tolerance level.

I have no doubt that if he loses (which he'd better) there will be a lot of arguing over ballots and he'll do his typical running to Mommy Court to defend or at least stall for him. I am predicting the lame duck term will be an absolute Excedrin headache. I just believe that the powers that be and the systems in place will prevent him from holding power if he loses.

If, come January 21st, the man has lost the vote and is still in the White House, I invite you to come back and rub my nose in it.

I didn't call you a Russian, I said you sound like a Russian.
And there are a lot of "you" out there after five years of intense and well funded conditioning.
And if you can demonstrate ONE THING that you'd bet your life on as being rock solid to prevent him from holding power if he loses, I'm all ears.
Remember, you must be willing to bet your life because life is about to change drastically if you are wrong, and for others, life will END if you're wrong.

"Dispute Trump"? AP spewing propaganda vs news. As usual. I love the "without evidence" phrase - takes some balls to claim that when we have confessed election cheats in New Jerseys, thousands of GOP ballots recently found in the trash, etc.

I didn't call you a Russian, I said you sound like a Russian.
And there are a lot of "you" out there after five years of intense and well funded conditioning.
And if you can demonstrate ONE THING that you'd bet your life on as being rock solid to prevent him from holding power if he loses, I'm all ears.
Remember, you must be willing to bet your life because life is about to change drastically if you are wrong, and for others, life will END if you're wrong.
The Constitution?

...but maybe we could get Lindsey Graham to pledge we will have a peaceful transition of power. We know that his word is always his bond.
Or Cruz, he also has a Word worthy of mention. Sad how the GOP has turned into the Party of Liars and Led by the Biggest Liar of all and they are proud of it.

Back
Top Bottom