• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell, in Private, Doubts if Trump Can Save Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has dug his own hole. But everyone else is at fault. I wonder when his base numbers start to falter to low 30's will we see more Repubs. taking a stand against Trump

It will only happen if the republican party can put a wedge between the base and their cultish worship of trump's personality. Because it's not about policies whatsoever.

Once they can do that, then they will realize that the blowback for standing against trump won't hurt them.

I told everyone who would listen that nothing good would ever come out of last years election. Regardless of who won. I think as time goes by I am being proved right.

It's that common sense that seems to happen to Georgians.

Exactly. Trump started it off by creating so many meaningless feuds in the primaries, McCain, Cruz, Rubio, Bushes, Romney, and more. Trump even started a feud with Fox News. Then he creates more once he has been elected. It does seem Trump is reaping what he sowed. Call it karma.

I believe we are seeing the real Donald Trump, unplugged and unhinged.

He's a bully, we've all had them as bosses, and believes he can get loyalty using fear. He does not appear to have a high level concept of the job, that he's there to create teams of people who work effectively together, cannot see the long term and is more driven to seeing his face on TV than with even what he would understand as governance.

There is ONE issue which defines everything he has done: Obamacare. He threw the bone into the pit of congress and forgot about it, apparently not understanding that the senate is made up of 50 people all with differing if not divergent views.

And he blew it.

You see what makes a Great President is bashing the senate failure and lashing at individuals, Great Presidents step in, invite the core groups in opposition to lunch and hash it out. Eisenhower got the Interstate system that way, Roosevelt got his way with both parties in much that way, and Reagan seemed to have an even better working relationship with congress over eight years.

In his business his methods get obedience. In governance those methods create enemies, who will get even...it's human nature.

So, you are name calling when you call him a "4th grade schoolyard bully." Is that the way the "Reform Party" behaves? I guess you have decided not to list any further accomplishments of our president and his administration.

Wait...

You are taking the moral high ground in defending Trump against name calling?

Seriously?

Let's have a brief look at that:

Here he display GREAT pride in INVENTING names for his enemies:

https://www.bustle.com/articles/160...islikes-ranked-on-a-scale-he-would-understand

This one displays a rather embarrassing rant about hand size....poor guy has stubby fingers and is sensitive

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/crooked-hillary-marco-donald-trumps-nicknames/story?id=39035114

This one is the best...it is branded "childish"

Trump's Childish Name-Calling Is a Time-Honored Strategy of Bullying | Alternet

I have several more, one dealing with his work life and what he says about business associates, but I figure you got the message that you made a complete ass out of yourself attacking name calling. No president has taken politics as deep into the gutter as has this moron

It will only happen if the republican party can put a wedge between the base and their cultish worship of trump's personality. Because it's not about policies whatsoever.

Once they can do that, then they will realize that the blowback for standing against trump won't hurt them.

Reason I mentioned low 30's. I do not see Trump going lower, under 30-32 unless serious allegations of criminal activity arise from the Mueller investigation touching him or his family/senior campaign members.
Myself I am of the opinion Trump is worried and freaking out. He is clearly upset that McConnell is not covering him from the Russia investigation.

Even then, his diehard supporters will call it a frame up, blame the media, and as usual, mention Hillary-Obama, and on and on.
No hope for the brain dead or those that have no sense of basic morals.

Where have I stated that? I do not expect a sensible reply, as you are into false allegations,deflections and outlandish claims.
Facts are not your friend.

False allegations, deflections, outlandish claims???? Really? Tell me what Trump has done to hurt you and your family and why such hatred? you haven't stated anything about the results because you have ignored them focusing on opinions, rhetoric, and your own biases. facts are indeed my friend and when you pass off an opinion as fact they aren't yours

False allegations, deflections, outlandish claims???? Really? Tell me what Trump has done to hurt you and your family and why such hatred? you haven't stated anything about the results because you have ignored them focusing on opinions, rhetoric, and your own biases. facts are indeed my friend and when you pass off an opinion as fact they aren't yours

Facts- Just watching his bully style behaviors-his belittling staff/cabinet members publicly, his treatment on women, minorities, hatred of Muslims, to name a few.

So are those actions/behaviors Presidential?

Facts- Just watching his bully style behaviors-his belittling staff/cabinet members publicly, his treatment on women, minorities, hatred of Muslims, to name a few.

So are those actions/behaviors Presidential?

LOL, so his behavior is the issue meaning you want someone you can like regardless of results generated, that would be Obama. I don't personally like Trump but results matter. His treatment of women, minorities, and hatred of Muslims is your opinion driven by a hateful media. What purpose does this serve?

McConnell, in Private: Wow I bet there are a lot more thoughts in that guys private mind that are more
than one deviation from the norm than what his thoughts are about the Trump presidency.

Both were elected on the same ticket and both are illegitimate based on the reasons already provided.

I don't view them illegitimate. I view Pence as the more refined politician with more of a head on his shoulder. Not the dunce who lives to make enemies by feuding with one and all. But I don't think if Pence replaced Trump, the saner of the two, that the Democrats wouldn't miss a beat in trying to destroy Pence just like they are Trump. With Trump, the Democrats don't have to try to hard, he is doing that mostly himself.

I believe we are seeing the real Donald Trump, unplugged and unhinged.

He's a bully, we've all had them as bosses, and believes he can get loyalty using fear. He does not appear to have a high level concept of the job, that he's there to create teams of people who work effectively together, cannot see the long term and is more driven to seeing his face on TV than with even what he would understand as governance.

There is ONE issue which defines everything he has done: Obamacare. He threw the bone into the pit of congress and forgot about it, apparently not understanding that the senate is made up of 50 people all with differing if not divergent views.

And he blew it.

You see what makes a Great President is bashing the senate failure and lashing at individuals, Great Presidents step in, invite the core groups in opposition to lunch and hash it out. Eisenhower got the Interstate system that way, Roosevelt got his way with both parties in much that way, and Reagan seemed to have an even better working relationship with congress over eight years.

In his business his methods get obedience. In governance those methods create enemies, who will get even...it's human nature.

Exactly, IKE had LBJ then the senate majority leader over to the white house three times a week to discuss how to get IKE's agenda through congress. A very good working relationship with the opposition party leader. JFK and LBJ when they were president had the same type of working relationship with Everit Dirksen, the Republican minority leader in the senate. Reagan and Tip O'Neal made a great team. Those days have been replaced with hyper partisanship and polarization of the parties and president's against the opposition party in congress.

Making enemies of senators of your own party isn't going to help get legislation through congress. It's bad enough for Trump that he has 100% Democratic opposition to every thing he does. Adding Republican members of congress to that opposition list will only make things tougher.

It does justify it. Otherwise we very well would have had another McGovern this year with Bernie. The party nomination process is not the same as the general election process. Frankly a party doesn't even have to hold a primary.

It's too long an explanation to get into detail, but I believe it is the primary system that is responsible for most of the failures over the years. It is easily manipulated as we saw with Hilary and co and easily hijacked from the outside.

However, any solution involves a viable third alternative. You see Republicans loose their base when they pivot to the middle in governance, and Democrats when they lie about keeping your plan. What is up in the air in either situation is a block of voters, mostly moderate, mostly don't vote or swings when they do. That's where pay dirt lies.

Third party initiatives fail in the US because they shoot for the top job draining off resources. A party needs to be built from the ground up; the power soon comes with the balance of power in the senate, and build from there.

However, imho, I believe the good ship "America" will have to sustain far more damage before it can right itself

The WWF is World Wildlife Foundation. Wrestling is WWE. World Wrestling Entertainment. The WWF sued them for that abbreviation that they used well in advance and won. So in short, the WWF is real.

Some might call that a bit petty, but when you think about it, it says everything about the average American voter.

I still do not understand; every American I meet seems reasoned and reasonable, but collectively are frightening...as I write this, Trump is again threatening to "tear up" NAFTA, that a negotiated deal won't work....while the negotiating panels begin to meet.

Harris isn't ready for prime-time IMO, even in 2024, if not ever. For DEMs, she needs to build her Senate chops and work her way up the food chain.

Political odds have really expanded since trump came in. I don't see Warren ever running for POTUS. I do see a Klobuchar/S. Brown ticket in 2020.

No longer a dark horse IMO for 2020 is Gov. Baker of MA. A Baker/Sandoval ticket would be awfully tough for DEMs to beat ...

Harris has it all for for the Democratic base to 'go ape' about. 'She was the first woman, the first Jamaican American, the first Asian American,
the first Indian American, and the first African American attorney general in California. She has the minority vote in the bag.' & she a first term
novice senator as was Obama seemingly following the path he took. Not bad to look at for a politician also.

Chances to run:
Elizabeth Warren fills up a Statement of Candidacy and/or a Statement of Organization of an
exploratory committee for the office of president with the Federal Election Commission.
Sun 11/10 703 E.Warren runs for US Pres in 2020 -175 Very likely

Kamala Harris fills up a Statement of Candidacy and/or a Statement of Organization of an
exploratory committee for the office of president with the Federal Election Commission.
Sun 11/10 707 K.Harris runs for US Pres in 2020 -175 Very likely

Amy Klobuchar fills up a Statement of Candidacy and/or a Statement of Organization of an
Sun 11/10 713 A.Klobuchar runs for US Pres in 2020 +135 Not committed

2020 US Presidential Election odds:

Sun 11/10 105 E.Warren wins Presidential Election +875
8:00AM 106 Field wins Presidential Election -1790

Sun 11/10 123 Kamala Harris wins Presidential Electio +1250
8:00AM 124 Field wins Presidential Election -2750

Sun 11/10 145 Amy Klobuchar wins Presidential Electio +9500
8:00AM 146 Field wins Presidential Election -45500

So you can get Klobuchar at 95 to1 better than the 33 to 1 you wanted to jump on.

Last edited:
Exactly, IKE had LBJ then the senate majority leader over to the white house three times a week to discuss how to get IKE's agenda through congress. A very good working relationship with the opposition party leader. JFK and LBJ when they were president had the same type of working relationship with Everit Dirksen, the Republican minority leader in the senate. Reagan and Tip O'Neal made a great team. Those days have been replaced with hyper partisanship and polarization of the parties and president's against the opposition party in congress.

Making enemies of senators of your own party isn't going to help get legislation through congress. It's bad enough for Trump that he has 100% Democratic opposition to every thing he does. Adding Republican members of congress to that opposition list will only make things tougher.

Those days, while we didn't know it represented the "United" of the United States. There was partisanship and some clashing, but done with class. Today the un-united states government represents a kindergarten with no teacher.

Those EO's have been posted many times, Google Trump EO's and see when they went into effect and what they did. Trump is pro business by the actions of the stock market and the hiring of business leaders. You think Obama did that?

Actually no, they haven't, but Trump goons have made the claim many times. So here they are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_executive_actions_by_Donald_Trump#Presidential_determinations

However...

In February 2017, a review of presidential documents by USA Today showed that the White House posted inaccurate texts of Trump's executive orders on its website, conflicting with the official versions published in the Federal Register. Most of the differences were minor grammatical or typographic changes, but there were "two cases where the original text referred to inaccurate or non-existent provisions of law."[541] This raised concerns among advocates for government transparency; the executive director of the Sunlight Foundation said that the "last-minute edits" to the orders indicated problems with the Trump administration's "vetting, sign-off, and publication processes for executive orders."[541] The inaccuracies also prompted concern because the Federal Register versions of presidential documents are often published several days after they are signed, "meaning that the public must often rely on what the White House puts out."[541] In the order on ethics guidelines for federal appointees, the WhiteHouse.gov section cites "section 207 of title 28, United States Code," which Pro Publica found does not exist. The correct citation, made in the Federal Register version, is section 207 of title 18.

I will leave to the reader to determine whether anything effective has been done here.

In the end, you're bragging about a field goal when the game winning touchdown was botched by Trump and his ****ty relationship with the senate...you will have "Obamacare" or some version of it the rest of your life.

So much for promises kept.

Those days, while we didn't know it represented the "United" of the United States. There was partisanship and some clashing, but done with class. Today the un-united states government represents a kindergarten with no teacher.

There were few if any party line votes that I remember. But back then both parties had their liberal and conservative wings. I remember the Rockefeller liberal Republicans of the Northeast and the conservative southern democrats. The Democratic Party was the big tent party while the Republicans were the party of business.

Actually no, they haven't, but Trump goons have made the claim many times. So here they are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_executive_actions_by_Donald_Trump#Presidential_determinations

However...

I will leave to the reader to determine whether anything effective has been done here.

In the end, you're bragging about a field goal when the game winning touchdown was botched by Trump and his ****ty relationship with the senate...you will have "Obamacare" or some version of it the rest of your life.

So much for promises kept.

As stated actual results matter, don't give a damn about ACA but do care about jobs, discouraged workers, part time for economic reasons, the debt and the US standing in the world regarding our own security. Promises kept? jobs, economic activity, and national security, all promises kept. We will see economic growth with the tax cuts and we are already seeing jobs created along with a record stock market. Not sure what you are looking for from the President but the PC bs has to stop and Trump is doing that.

I don't view them illegitimate. I view Pence as the more refined politician with more of a head on his shoulder. Not the dunce who lives to make enemies by feuding with one and all. But I don't think if Pence replaced Trump, the saner of the two, that the Democrats wouldn't miss a beat in trying to destroy Pence just like they are Trump. With Trump, the Democrats don't have to try to hard, he is doing that mostly himself.

That is fine as every citizen has to make that determination for themselves.

It does justify it. Otherwise we very well would have had another McGovern this year with Bernie. The party nomination process is not the same as the general election process. Frankly a party doesn't even have to hold a primary.

The first year the new rules were in effect was 1972. You did not like the person the system picked that one single time. That is hardly enough evidence to supplant the system and rig it in favor of more establishment candidates.

As stated actual results matter, don't give a damn about ACA but do care about jobs, discouraged workers, part time for economic reasons, the debt and the US standing in the world regarding our own security. Promises kept? jobs, economic activity, and national security, all promises kept. We will see economic growth with the tax cuts and we are already seeing jobs created along with a record stock market. Not sure what you are looking for from the President but the PC bs has to stop and Trump is doing that.

So show me!

I don't believe ONE word of your drivel....I need proof of effectiveness so YOU select all those wonder OE's that you say have helped the country so much and explain how and why.

Because you see, I read The Guardian, The Globe and Mail listen to CBC and BBC who have panels of experts who say it's all housekeeping and bull****. Show me it isn't. Don't TELL, again you lie.

Further, you were cheering this asshole when he was promising the world in 100 days, now after half a ****ing year all the world sees is an unpopular president under investigation and in cover-up mode who can't get anything done amid more firings in six months than Obama's eight years. That in itself is lame, but lying about their effectiveness is desperate.

An economist on CBC today was talking about Trump's belligerence over NAFTA. Asked if it could harm the just starting talks he replied "If he's in office that long....."

I have never seen a new Pres squander his mandate so fast, zero legislative victories, multiple investigations, and a sly endorsement of the KKK. All this in only 7 months, strap in, its going to be a long 4 years.

Steady trend line in the endless bogus war and redistribution of societal wealth arenas though.

So show me!

I don't believe ONE word of your drivel....I need proof of effectiveness so YOU select all those wonder OE's that you say have helped the country so much and explain how and why.

Because you see, I read The Guardian, The Globe and Mail listen to CBC and BBC who have panels of experts who say it's all housekeeping and bull****. Show me it isn't. Don't TELL, again you lie.

Further, you were cheering this asshole when he was promising the world in 100 days, now after half a ****ing year all the world sees is an unpopular president under investigation and in cover-up mode who can't get anything done amid more firings in six months than Obama's eight years. That in itself is lame, but lying about their effectiveness is desperate.

An economist on CBC today was talking about Trump's belligerence over NAFTA. Asked if it could harm the just starting talks he replied "If he's in office that long....."

Effectiveness? Results matter, why do we have the results today? Have you ever run a business? I have and can tell you exactly why, businesses aren't going to be punished for being successful and that has turned them loose.

I am cheering results not an asshole. I have worked for assholes my entire life some true assholes and others who generated the results and were right. Trump has generated results and continues to do so.

I don't have a lot of faith in people from Canada attacking our President, our healthcare system, and our economic system as it is none of their business. You don't like Trump, I really don't give a damn, I care about results and so will the electorate next year. All I see from you and others are opinions based upon perception and not based in reality.

Whether you believe me or not I really don't care, the feeling is mutual about you and the rest of the PC crowd in this country and yours. What exactly is wrong with you people?

Thank you for your reply. As a United States Army veteran(1967-1970), I salute you for your past and present service.

I'd like to know more about your experiences in southern Illinois. In another life, I was a competitive clay target shooter. When the ATA joined in the development of the WSRC in Sparta approximately 11 years ago, there were high hopes for an economic boom there. Will you be in Sparta? I also have a friend in Bridgeport, IL who has shared with me some of the economic depravity he witnesses there. It would be easy to toss blame, but I am not even slightly interested in that. I'd like to know what you see in your travels.

Best regards,
Quaz

For Southern Illinois just to start, my Dad was transferred from Travis USAF base north of SF in CA to Scott USAF base, IL east of SL in 1964, 6th grade for me. I went to Mascoutah, IL schools into 8th grade.

Sweltering heat; this past Monday in Cave-in-Rock, IL, my spot for totality, was 99[SUP]o[/SUP] and 60%; perfect weather to grow wood for baseball bats as in KY.

The problem is transportation, there is none to speak of. Logging is barely going on in the Shawnee, a great National Forest with plenty of natural attractions. All our people need is the bridge connecting KY 91/IL 1. Typically, KY then industrializes along the Ohio River; as across from Cairo, IL at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi.

I'm doing yard work so I'll be in and out. It was my Dad who had 22 years Air Force, 8 more CS during Vietnam, and now buried at ALNC, the old proving grounds for his CS.

I'm with the Sons of the AL and they do great things, such as honor guard at funerals. Besides election politics, my passions right now are the pharms pill crisis and infrastructure engineering, though I still miss teaching. All of my older Vietnam friends are gone now due in large part to Pharma pills, alcohol, cigs, other drugs.

I did 33 straight years as a Chemistry/Physics/Math teacher; wandering the last 8 years of retirement. Went to Air Force Base Schools just after Sputnick until 8th grade. Talk later.

Think of some LOCAL projects such as needed new bridges between your Florida and your neighboring states of GA and AL ...

OMG, what a mess the RADICAL left is trying to make, this is total and complete BS and one has to wonder why? What exactly has Trump done to create this kind of hatred on the part of the left?

Tin Hats and Press Passes for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom