• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell calls for 'toughest possible sanctions' against Russia

Trumpsters will be doubling down on their love for Putin now...

BTW where are those 'so called' moderate Republicans here? If liberals were defending Putin they would be in every thread blasting them, calling them anti-American...But their fellow Republicans defend Putin and there's nothing be silence from them..

I guess these 'moderate Republicans aren't that moderate, but we knew that all along..
Who is defending Putin? Or are you just ranting again.

What do you recommend we do? I have yet to see you take a stand. Criticize all you want, but economic sanctions are proven failures. History is full of examples of what happens when narcissistic psychopaths get power. If you think Putin doesn't fit that mold I disagree. Once Putin has consolidated his power in the Ukraine do you think he will become more likely or less likely to back down from future confrontations? Putin is sitting back today, drinking Vodka, being congratulated by the sycophants around him and laughing at how weak the US and their allies are. I wonder what China is thinking? Taiwan is just sitting there....Do you think they too are afraid of economic sanctions should they take Taiwan?
You realize the USSR was defeated with economics, not military action, right?

I think the GOP will use this foreign policy failure against Biden and the donkeys. It makes the US look weak, just like the Carter Presidency did. Trump is going to tell the world that this would not have happened if he was still President. And he might be right. All we know for sure is Biden's track record on foreign policy is pitiful.
Putin is probably pissed that he's no longer receiving top secret military documents.

Welp. I started a thread asking what we should do. Most everyone (including conservatives) said sanctions.

Now Biden, conservatives here and McConnel are all saying the same thing.

I guess everyone should be happy at our response so far.
Graham wants to "destroy the Ruble and crush the Russian oil/gas industry".

Uniting against Putin and Russia could be just what the 2 party-horror we have on-going needs.

You think the GOP is going to side with the U.S. here? Like many Russian troll accounts, @GOP social media seems obsessed with trolling the U.S. response today. Meanwhile the leader of the GOP is raving today about the "genius" of Putin's moves.

It'll be pretty hard for him to say that, after this:

GOP in disarray.

Welp. I started a thread asking what we should do. Most everyone (including conservatives) said sanctions.

Now Biden, conservatives here and McConnel are all saying the same thing.

I guess everyone should be happy at our response so far.
Two banks and a few rich guys, plus cutting off any trade with the separatist regions, sounds like weak sauce to me.

We need to stop buying their damned oil.

Across 2021 the US imported between 12 million as 26 million barrels of crude oil and petroleum from Russia every month. In November 2021, the most recent figures on record, the Energy Information Agency reports that the US took 17.8 million barrels.Feb 15, 2022

GOP in disarray.

Goes back to 2016:

Trump campaign guts GOP’s anti-Russia stance on Ukraine
The Trump campaign worked behind the scenes last week to make sure the new Republican platform won’t call for giving weapons to Ukraine to fight Russian and rebel forces, contradicting the view of almost all Republican foreign policy leaders in Washington.

Six years later, the pro-Putin wing (Trumpism) still has the upper hand in the party, which makes this situation all the more dangerous.

I think the GOP will use this foreign policy failure against Biden and the donkeys. It makes the US look weak, just like the Carter Presidency did. Trump is going to tell the world that this would not have happened if he was still President. And he might be right. All we know for sure is Biden's track record on foreign policy is pitiful.
Apart from just parroting what Fox news and Trump will say, do you have any thoughts of your own?
For instance, if this was a "failure" of Biden, please Tell us what he did that he shouldn't have, or what did he not do that he should have? It has to be one or the other or both for it to be his failure.

As for Trump lying to claim some high road on the issue, that's a given. What is a surprise is that so many of you would still believe it.

Two banks and a few rich guys, plus cutting off any trade with the separatist regions, sounds like weak sauce to me.

We need to stop buying their damned oil.
Too bad Biden keeps freezing new drilling leases because of "climate change".

you're like the last guy that i want in an actual meeting for strategic planning during conflicts between super powers that involves complex logistics and economies and relationships between numerous countries.
Not the last guy.
CC4AFF46-F0AA-48FB-B90E-08A9C0CF9368.jpeg

There's more than one way to skin that cat, Roadvirus. Much better public transportation systems, safer nuclear power, continuing to improve wind and solar...using less oil instead of pumping and buying more is another approach.

Cocaine Bitch should have done this before the Russo-Republican invasion. Putin knows he has the support of trump and the GOP.

Lol…. Such drivel.

Trump, FoxNews, OANN, and all the other Trump enablers are not going to be happy with McConnell over this.

Too bad you keep mixing issues to help appease and defend Putin and Jinping. GOPutins are Russo-Republicans. Proud?

I think the GOP will use this foreign policy failure against Biden

What is "this" foreign policy failure?

Speak up. And do so as an adult. I will tolerate no propaganda driven drivel parroting of Fox.

Sanctions are the simplest and least if what we can do. The real question becomes what happens when they do nothing to hinder Putin’s actions?

I predict a lot of fluff and bluster from all sides on this, then everyone will just quietly redraw the boundaries for Russia and Ukraine on their maps.
Sadly, you're probably right.

Economic sanctions were a good idea for awhile, but our global economy is so entwined, dependent on each other and maniacally dedicated to grabbing every cent each can get, that real, effective sanctions are a punishment for those that impose them too. We're going to go back to warfare eventually.

Back
Top Bottom