• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell blocks House bills to reopen government

sangha

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]McConnell blocks House bills to reopen government[/h]

[FONT=&quot]Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Thursday blocked two House-passed funding bills that would reopen the federal government.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sens. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) and Ben Cardin (D-Md.), surrounded by roughly two dozen of their Senate Democratic colleagues, tried to get consent to bring up a bill that would fund the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) through Feb. 8, as well as a separate package that would fund the remaining agencies without current-year appropriations through Sept. 30.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But McConnell objected, arguing they would be “show votes” and saying that he and Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) made an "explicit commitment" to avoid such votes.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/424730-mcconnell-blocks-house-bills-to-reopen-government

[/FONT]

I am sure someone will come along and explain why it is the dems fault that McConnell is blocking these bills.

I am sure someone will come along and explain why it is the dems fault that McConnell is blocking these bills.

This is wonderful news. Even the rhinos are now backing President Trump. You liberals had your chance at dialogue.

It's fun to watch the democrats flail around aimlessly. One stupid gimmick after another.
Thanks Senator McConnell for holding the line!!

It's fun to watch the democrats flail around aimlessly. One stupid gimmick after another.

The majority of the country doesn't want a wall, doesn't want a shutdown and blames Republicans and Trump for this shutdown. Having failed to make a compelling argument to the nation in support of a wall, Trump is resorting to the possibility of having the military seize private property by force.

That's called "losing the public debate."

Oh my.... Dreaming all kinds of evil intent on president Trump's part are we?
I read a post like this and just laugh it off. The country supports securing our southern border.
Of course MSM will tell us different. Didn't they tell us President Trump would never be?
Trump will beat you and that scares the left to death!!

The majority of the country doesn't want a wall, doesn't want a shutdown and blames Republicans and Trump for this shutdown. Having failed to make a compelling argument to the nation in support of a wall, Trump is resorting to the possibility of having the military seize private property by force.

That's called "losing the public debate."

As long as the boy-king can retire to his big empty bed with his pile of Big Macs and see Fox praise him, this will continue.

I'd expect anyone who can will leave gov. in search of a better gig. That will cost them the people who are actually good.

I read a post like this and just laugh it off. The country supports securing our southern border.
Of course MSM will tell us different. Didn't they tell us President Trump would never be?

....if only there was evidence of any intent, evil or otherwise!

The Republicans won't compromise to reopen the government. They want to keep the shutdown going for partisan, political reasons.

lol

What's the point in bringing a bill to the floor does not even have a simple majority let alone the 60 needed

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It is not the Democrats fault, they are doing what they were elected to do. Our issue is this is not entirely McConnell's fault either.

What McConnell knows is even if the House bills pass the Senate, odds are it is not veto proof strength in support meaning all that will happen is Trump saying no as he clearly intends to hold out for funding for his wall, fence, whatever he is calling it today.

All we are really seeing is entrapment politics.

Democrats in the House knew the bills themselves could pass the Senate but not for certain. They very well might, but we know what Trump will do.

Now, McConnell is being hypocritical. While Obama was in office Congressional Republicans passed ACA repeal what... 40-50 times? All the time knowing full well Obama would veto. But the politics of the party demanded they do so. Congressional Democrats are doing the same thing, passing a bill in the House knowing it will not become so (because of something down the line they can point to as the fault.)

It is just today's chapter in the very ugly politics of maneuvering and games over this government shutdown.

There are only two ways out of this now. Congress to blink and give Trump wall money which is disastrous for House Democrats and some Congressional Republicans, *or* Congress as a whole comes up with a veto proof bill that opens government back up without Trump's wall money just to spite Trump.

I suspect the former will happen, just unsure when.

McConnel is going to be on the hot seat, from here on in.

You mean other than Schumer making an explicit commitment not to bring up this type of bill. Oh. . . wait, lying scum Schumer; what was I thinking? :cool:

Sorry, but when you need to suspend Constitutional process & call in the military to try to get your way when you fail to legislate, it's called "failure".

Sorry, but when you need to suspend Constitutional process & call in the military to try to get your way when you fail to legislate, it's called "failure".

Did I miss something? What do you mean by this statement? "suspend Constitutional process & call in the military".

As long as the boy-king can retire to his big empty bed with his pile of Big Macs and see Fox praise him, this will continue.

I'd expect anyone who can will leave gov. in search of a better gig. That will cost them the people who are actually good.
Very well reasoned and convincing post. :roll:

The country does not support a shutdown over the matter. That's Trump's problem here, and why he's failing.

Every president has used the same authority

What's the point in bringing a bill to the floor does not even have a simple majority let alone the 60 needed

At least 3 GOP Senators (of which I'm aware) have declared they want to open the government. It needs to be put to a vote, to see if it can pass. That's what voting is for! :doh

The Republicans won't compromise to reopen the government. They want to keep the shutdown going for partisan, political reasons.

lol
LOL, What compromise? And the Dems have said is "open government so we can repay government employee unions for their campaign donations, and we, cross our hearts and hope to die will promise to discuss the wall later".

How do you know it does not have majority support? These bills passed the Senate last year

At least 3 GOP Senators (of which I'm aware) have declared they want to open the government. It needs to be put to a vote, to see if it can pass. That's what voting is for! :doh
It needs 60 which it does not have and then it wod need trumps signature which it also does not have. The house needs to write a bill that meets that threshold. The Senate has better things to do than waste it's time with the Democrats political games

It is not the Democrats fault, they are doing what they were elected to do. Our issue is this is not entirely McConnell's fault either.

What McConnell knows is even if the House bills pass the Senate, odds are it is not veto proof strength in support meaning all that will happen is Trump saying no as he clearly intends to hold out for funding for his wall, fence, whatever he is calling it today.

All we are really seeing is entrapment politics.

Democrats in the House knew the bills themselves could pass the Senate but not for certain. They very well might, but we know what Trump will do.

Now, McConnell is being hypocritical. While Obama was in office Congressional Republicans passed ACA repeal what... 40-50 times? All the time knowing full well Obama would veto. But the politics of the party demanded they do so. Congressional Democrats are doing the same thing, passing a bill in the House knowing it will not become so (because of something down the line they can point to as the fault.)

It is just today's chapter in the very ugly politics of maneuvering and games over this government shutdown.

There are only two ways out of this now. Congress to blink and give Trump wall money which is disastrous for House Democrats and some Congressional Republicans, *or* Congress as a whole comes up with a veto proof bill that opens government back up without Trump's wall money just to spite Trump.

I suspect the former will happen, just unsure when.
Let's be honest; there's a LOT of political BS on both sides.

As if declaring a National Emergency that is not a National Emergency won't be the stupid gimmick of all stupid gimmicks.

It isnt McConells fault that McConnel is blocking these bills?

:screwy

Ahh, I see. Its Trumps fault that McConnel is blocking these bills.

Tell me again how its the dems who are responsible for this shutdown?

Back
Top Bottom