• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell blocks House bills to reopen government

Well the judiciary gets the last say. If the guys with the guys go up against them, we no longer have a Constitutional crisis; we have a military coup!

Somehow I doubt the military will embrace the theft of their own funds for military construction projects so Trump can construct his fantasy wall.

f22351363d16c99514dc2ae898826f6a.png

The reality is that the bills to reopen the government outside of DHS funding would have more than the 60 required votes needed to gain cloture. And certainly well more than the 50+1 to pass the chamber. That is why McConnell is refusing to bring them to the floor for a vote. He would be pitting Republican against Republican, as Trump would then be forced to either follow through on his veto promise, or back down and sign the approved legislation. Either way, it would be a loss for Republicans on this issue. McConnell knows this, and is nothing if not a tribal partisan through and through.
Democrats could of and still can pass the Republican bill that Congress passed in December.

Explain to me why Republicans should concede parts of their position but Democrats should not give up anything?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Democrats could of and still can pass the Republican bill that Congress passed in December.

Explain to me why Republicans should concede parts of their position but Democrats should not give up anything?

because they do not have the votes

Democrats have made multiple offers over the time Trump has been in office, only to be rebuked, or have Trump renege on the agreement at the last minute. He is not a good faith negotiator. Not even when negotiating with his own party. Why in the world should the Democrats continue to try the same approach again and again, only to be cut off at the knees. I'm no fan of the Democrats myself, but at least they make offers in good faith and negotiate in good faith. As do the Republicans. But not Trump.

Trump does not even really care about this issue. He is simply painted into a corner of his own making. And is desperate to look like he is fighting for something, to keep his tenuous base in line, and the CEC on his side. He knows if he loses the CEC, then the probability of conviction in the Senate goes up exponentially.

Democrats have made multiple offers over the time Trump has been in office, only to be rebuked, or have Trump renege on the agreement at the last minute. He is not a good faith negotiator. Not even when negotiating with his own party. Why in the world should the Democrats continue to try the same approach again and again, only to be cut off at the knees. I'm no fan of the Democrats myself, but at least they make offers in good faith and negotiate in good faith. As do the Republicans. But not Trump.

Trump does not even really care about this issue. He is simply painted into a corner of his own making. And is desperate to look like he is fighting for something, to keep his tenuous base in line, and the CEC on his side. He knows if he loses the CEC, then the probability of conviction in the Senate goes up exponentially.
Feel free to link these good faith offers the dems have made. I'm not aware of any but maybe I'm just not informed

That bill that passed in December never made it through both chambers of congress before the 115th session of Congress came to a close.

In other words, the bill died with the end of the last congress. The new congress would have to reintroduce the bill, and the new congress is different than the one that passed the bill in December.

I am sure someone will come along and explain why it is the dems fault that McConnell is blocking these bills.

And McConnell is nowhere to be seen.

DxE2EJ0UcAA_bSn.jpg

Back
Top Bottom