• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnel discusses why we don't confirm Supreme Court justices in an election year.

Are any of you enjoying the Democratic tears over this as much as I am?

Flat out lie. Ridiculous, stupid flat out lie.

“Conservative Justice Antonin Scalia died in February of that year, nearly nine months before that year’s election. With President Barack Obama set to nominate a replacement who would pull the court to the left, Senate Republicans said that the seat should not be filled in an election year, and refused to hold hearings to consider Obama’s eventual nominee, Judge Merrick Garland. McConnell argued that not since 1888 had the Senate confirmed a Supreme Court nominee by an opposing party’s President to fill a vacancy that arose in an election year.“

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell:

Then: “The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President,” McConnell said in a statement on February 13, 2016, the day Scalia died.

Now: “In the last midterm election before Justice Scalia’s death in 2016, Americans elected a Republican Senate majority because we pledged to check and balance the last days of a lame-duck president’s second term. We kept our promise. Since the 1880s, no Senate has confirmed an opposite-party president’s Supreme Court nominee in a presidential election year. By contrast, Americans reelected our majority in 2016 and expanded it in 2018 because we pledged to work with President Trump and support his agenda ....”

And McConnell’s lying, hypocrite Southern brother, Lindsey Graham:

Chairman of the Judiciary Committee will oversee committee hearings examining the nominee’s credentials. Graham is up for re-election this fall.

Then: “I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said, let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination, and you could use my words against me and you’d be absolutely right. We’re setting a precedent here today, Republicans are, that in the last year, at least of a lame-duck eight-year term, I would say it’s going to be a four-year term, that you’re not going to fill a vacancy on the Supreme Court based on what we’re doing here today. That’s going to be the new rule,” Graham said at a Judiciary Committee meeting in March 2016.

Now: “I therefore think it is important that we proceed expeditiously to process any nomination made by President Trump to fill this vacancy. I am certain if the shoe were on the other foot, you would do the same,” Graham said in a Sept. 21 statement.
Your clear obsessive hatred of the right, along with your penchant for projection, as evidenced by your narrative here .. is obvious.

Patching together quotes to presume a "rule" was indeed established does not prove any such rule was established, as what you've patched together here is simply a narrative that takes what really happened out of context. What really happened, and what everyone knows, no matter what politician stated or misstated whatever, is that McConnell, leader of the Senate Republican majority, made it crystal clear to Obama that there would be no leftist justices confirmed, Obama got it, and Obama was the one who tried to convey the so-called "rule".

No such "rule" was ever written into any official executive order, legislative or whatever document. In light of that, there simply is no "rule".

My post you quoted remains the truth, and obviously so.

Therefore, today, President Trump did nothing wrong, and the Senate will do nothing wrong in confirming his nominee. There will be no "rule" broken, period, and obviously so.

Your clear obsessive hatred of the right, along with your penchant for projection, as evidenced by your narrative here .. is obvious.
My response to your lie filled post was strictly motivated by disgust over the blatant, shameless lies and hypocrisy of Trump, his sycophants, and his devoted followers.

To be absolutely clear, I don’t “hate” the right, or “love” the left. I have supported and voted for both parties numerous times over decades.

I do have great disdain for the Trump Party, which is an absolute perversion of traditional conservative principles. Ridding our government of Trump and his groveling yes men/women can’t come soon enough.

Patching together quotes to presume a "rule" was indeed established does not prove any such rule was established, as what you've patched together here is simply a narrative that takes what really happened out of context. What really happened, and what everyone knows, no matter what politician stated or misstated whatever, is that McConnell, leader of the Senate Republican majority, made it crystal clear to Obama that there would be no leftist justices confirmed, Obama got it, and Obama was the one who tried to convey the so-called "rule".

No such "rule" was ever written into any official executive order, legislative or whatever document. In light of that, there simply is no "rule".
I didn’t cite McConnell’s and Graham’s words to prove there is a rule. I know there is no rule.

I cited their words to demonstrate their complete hypocrisy.

And the repeated lie that Obama simply acquiesced to McConnell’s reasoning, based on your imagined conversation between the two is laughably absurd.

i hope to see Moscow McTurtle and Graham voted out.

two wrongs don't make a right

The Dems blew this when Hill did not get off her ass and campaign... is Joe doing the same?????

Don't blame third-party snotheads on the candidate. We knew a day like this could come.

two wrongs don't make a right

The Dems blew this when Hill did not get off her ass and campaign... is Joe doing the same?????

Hillary campaigned. Her idiotic failure was not campaingining in a handful of swing states had gone for Obama, assuming they'd be for her automatically.

Excuse me? I thought you were from Russia. Do you realize what you inadvertently admitted?!
They already have Trump. It’s only logical that the next step is our courts.

Oh how much the Democratic Party and many Democrats now openly hate the US Constitution. No surprise about that.
Oh, about as many as there were Republicans who did so back in 2016.

Democrats controlled the Senate in 1969, but they left two courts seats that had been vacated open. They then allowed Richard Nixon to fill those seats.

Democrats controlled the Senate and allowed Reagan to appoint O'Connor and Kennedy in what was Reagans lame duck year, just 13 months before the 88 election. Then they controlled the Senate and opted not to use a filibuster to stop Bush from appointing the very corrupt Clarence Thomas, and let him have the vote.

Only one time did Republicans find themselves controlling the Senate, as a SC vacancy appeared when there was a Democrat in the WH, and they refused to allow that Democrat (Obama) to fill it.

The rule has nothing to do with election years and "giving the people a voice". The rule McConnell was operating by was this: Democrats don't get to appoint to the SC when Republicans control the Senate, despite years of precedent of Democrats always allowing Republicans to fill seats when they controlled.

Excuse me? I thought you were from Russia. Do you realize what you inadvertently admitted?!
conservatives will win the court and will we overturn roe v wade

conservatives will win the court and will we overturn roe v wade
That could happen, and then what? Abortion will be legal in some states, not in others. There will be a hodge podge of laws regulating the practice. Women who live in states where it is outlawed and who don't have the means to travel to another will get back alley abortions. Some will die of complications, and the so called "Christian" fundamentalists will say they just got what they deserved.
And meanwhile, that "conservative" court is likely to vote to remove millions from health care due to a technicality. If the Biden Administration can't fix what they broke, health care will have taken a huge step backward in this country, all because the Trumpers have to get rid of any law than might have Obama cooties on it.

That could happen, and then what? Abortion will be legal in some states, not in others. There will be a hodge podge of laws regulating the practice. Women who live in states where it is outlawed and who don't have the means to travel to another will get back alley abortions. Some will die of complications, and the so called "Christian" fundamentalists will say they just got what they deserved.
And meanwhile, that "conservative" court is likely to vote to remove millions from health care due to a technicality. If the Biden Administration can't fix what they broke, health care will have taken a huge step backward in this country, all because the Trumpers have to get rid of any law than might have Obama cooties on it.
yup and we will win! total war, total victory

Back
Top Bottom