• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

McClellan News Briefing

Canuck

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
McClellan News Briefing < - > 10/13 22:47:58

Q Scott, why did the administration feel it was necessary to coach the soldiers that the President talked to this morning in Iraq?

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm sorry, I don't know what you're suggesting.

Q Well, they discussed the questions ahead of time. They were told exactly what the President would ask, and they were coached, in terms of who would answer what question, and how they would pass the microphone.

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm sorry, are you suggesting that what our troops were saying was not sincere, or what they said was not their own thoughts?

Q Nothing at all. I'm just asking why it was necessary to coach them.

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, in terms of the event earlier today, the event was set up to highlight an important milestone in Iraq's history, and to give the President an opportunity to, once again, express our appreciation for all that our troops are doing when it comes to defending freedom, and their courage and their sacrifice. And this is a satellite feed, as you are aware, and there are always technological challenges involved when you're talking with troops on a satellite feed like this. And I think that we worked very closely with the Department of Defense to coordinate this event. And I think all they were doing was talking to the troops and letting them know what to expect.

Q But we asked you specifically this morning if there would be any screening of questions or if they were being told in any way what they should say or do, and you indicated no.

MR. McCLELLAN: I don't think that's what the question was earlier today. I think the question earlier today was asking if they could ask whatever they want, and I said, of course, the President was -- and you saw --

Q Scott, have you always been such a douchebag?

MR. McCLELLAN: Come again?

Q Have you always been such a filthy asswipe?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I...I...

Q I think that answers my question.

http://forums.craigslist.org/?forumID=20

Attachments

• stillaliveandwell.jpg
    stillaliveandwell.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
  • saddamBush.jpg
    saddamBush.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ImpactC500C.jpg
    ImpactC500C.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 0
  • crosses_bush.jpg
    crosses_bush.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 24_1182a11417_m3.jpg
    24_1182a11417_m3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9686462/
Bush Teleconference
With Soldiers Staged
By Deb Riechmann
Associated Press Writer
10-13-5

WASHINGTON - It was billed as a conversation with U.S. troops, but the questions President Bush asked on a teleconference call Thursday were choreographed to match his goals for the war in Iraq and Saturday's vote on a new Iraqi constitution.

"This is an important time," Allison Barber, deputy assistant defense secretary, said, coaching the soldiers before Bush arrived. "The president is looking forward to having just a conversation with you."

Barber said the president was interested in three topics: the overall security situation in Iraq, security preparations for the weekend vote and efforts to train Iraqi troops.

As she spoke in Washington, a live shot of 10 soldiers from the Army's 42nd Infantry Division and one Iraqi soldier was beamed into the Eisenhower Executive Office Building from Tikrit " the birthplace of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

"I'm going to ask somebody to grab those two water bottles against the wall and move them out of the camera shot for me," Barber said.

A brief rehearsal ensued.

"OK, so let's just walk through this," Barber said. "Captain Kennedy, you answer the first question and you hand the mike to whom?"

"Captain Smith," Kennedy said.

"Captain. Smith? You take the mike and you hand it to whom?" she asked.

"Captain Kennedy," the soldier replied.

And so it went.

"If the question comes up about partnering " how often do we train with the Iraqi military " who does he go to?" Barber asked.

"That's going to go to Captain Pratt," one of the soldiers said.

"And then if we're going to talk a little bit about the folks in Tikrit " the hometown " and how they're handling the political process, who are we going to give that to?" she asked.

Before he took questions, Bush thanked the soldiers for serving and reassured them that the U.S. would not pull out of Iraq until the mission was complete.

"So long as I'm the president, we're never going to back down, we're never going to give in, we'll never accept anything less than total victory," Bush said.

The president told them twice that the American people were behind them.

"You've got tremendous support here at home," Bush said.

Less than 40 percent in an AP-Ipsos poll taken in October said they approved of the way Bush was handling Iraq. Just over half of the public now say the Iraq war was a mistake.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Thursday's event was coordinated with the Defense Department but that the troops were expressing their own thoughts. With satellite feeds, coordination often is needed to overcome technological challenges, such as delays, he said.

"I think all they were doing was talking to the troops and letting them know what to expect," he said, adding that the president wanted to talk with troops on the ground who have firsthand knowledge about the situation.

The soldiers all gave Bush an upbeat view of the situation.

The president also got praise from the Iraqi soldier who was part of the chat.

"Thank you very much for everything," he gushed. "I like you."

On preparations for the vote, 1st Lt. Gregg Murphy of Tennessee said: "Sir, we are prepared to do whatever it takes to make this thing a success. ... Back in January, when we were preparing for that election, we had to lead the way. We set up the coordination, we made the plan. We're really happy to see, during the preparation for this one, sir, they're doing everything."

On the training of Iraqi security forces, Master Sgt. Corine Lombardo from Scotia, N.Y., said to Bush: "I can tell you over the past 10 months, we've seen a tremendous increase in the capabilities and the confidences of our Iraqi security force partners. ... Over the next month, we anticipate seeing at least one-third of those Iraqi forces conducting independent operations."

Lombardo told the president that she was in New York City on Nov. 11, 2001, when Bush attended an event recognizing soldiers for their recovery and rescue efforts at Ground Zero. She said the troops began the fight against terrorism in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and were proud to continue it in Iraq.

"I thought you looked familiar," Bush said, and then joked: "I probably look familiar to you, too."

Paul Rieckhoff, director of the New York-based Operation Truth, an advocacy group for U.S. veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan, denounced the event as a "carefully scripted publicity stunt." Five of the 10 U.S. troops involved were officers, he said.

"If he wants the real opinions of the troops, he can't do it in a nationally televised teleconference," Rieckhoff said. "He needs to be talking to the boots on the ground and that's not a bunch of captains."

Attachments

• 24_1182a11417_m3.jpg
    24_1182a11417_m3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ImpactC500C.jpg
    ImpactC500C.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 0
  • crosses_bush.jpg
    crosses_bush.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0
  • saddamBush.jpg
    saddamBush.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • stillaliveandwell.jpg
    stillaliveandwell.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
Canuck said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9686462/
Bush Teleconference
With Soldiers Staged
By Deb Riechmann
Associated Press Writer
10-13-5

WASHINGTON - It was billed as a conversation with U.S. troops, but the questions President Bush asked on a teleconference call Thursday were choreographed to match his goals for the war in Iraq and Saturday's vote on a new Iraqi constitution.

"This is an important time," Allison Barber, deputy assistant defense secretary, said, coaching the soldiers before Bush arrived. "The president is looking forward to having just a conversation with you."

Barber said the president was interested in three topics: the overall security situation in Iraq, security preparations for the weekend vote and efforts to train Iraqi troops.

As she spoke in Washington, a live shot of 10 soldiers from the Army's 42nd Infantry Division and one Iraqi soldier was beamed into the Eisenhower Executive Office Building from Tikrit " the birthplace of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

"I'm going to ask somebody to grab those two water bottles against the wall and move them out of the camera shot for me," Barber said.

A brief rehearsal ensued.

"OK, so let's just walk through this," Barber said. "Captain Kennedy, you answer the first question and you hand the mike to whom?"

"Captain Smith," Kennedy said.

"Captain. Smith? You take the mike and you hand it to whom?" she asked.

"Captain Kennedy," the soldier replied.

And so it went.

"If the question comes up about partnering " how often do we train with the Iraqi military " who does he go to?" Barber asked.

"That's going to go to Captain Pratt," one of the soldiers said.

"And then if we're going to talk a little bit about the folks in Tikrit " the hometown " and how they're handling the political process, who are we going to give that to?" she asked.

Before he took questions, Bush thanked the soldiers for serving and reassured them that the U.S. would not pull out of Iraq until the mission was complete.

"So long as I'm the president, we're never going to back down, we're never going to give in, we'll never accept anything less than total victory," Bush said.

The president told them twice that the American people were behind them.

"You've got tremendous support here at home," Bush said.

Less than 40 percent in an AP-Ipsos poll taken in October said they approved of the way Bush was handling Iraq. Just over half of the public now say the Iraq war was a mistake.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Thursday's event was coordinated with the Defense Department but that the troops were expressing their own thoughts. With satellite feeds, coordination often is needed to overcome technological challenges, such as delays, he said.

"I think all they were doing was talking to the troops and letting them know what to expect," he said, adding that the president wanted to talk with troops on the ground who have firsthand knowledge about the situation.

The soldiers all gave Bush an upbeat view of the situation.

The president also got praise from the Iraqi soldier who was part of the chat.

"Thank you very much for everything," he gushed. "I like you."

On preparations for the vote, 1st Lt. Gregg Murphy of Tennessee said: "Sir, we are prepared to do whatever it takes to make this thing a success. ... Back in January, when we were preparing for that election, we had to lead the way. We set up the coordination, we made the plan. We're really happy to see, during the preparation for this one, sir, they're doing everything."

On the training of Iraqi security forces, Master Sgt. Corine Lombardo from Scotia, N.Y., said to Bush: "I can tell you over the past 10 months, we've seen a tremendous increase in the capabilities and the confidences of our Iraqi security force partners. ... Over the next month, we anticipate seeing at least one-third of those Iraqi forces conducting independent operations."

Lombardo told the president that she was in New York City on Nov. 11, 2001, when Bush attended an event recognizing soldiers for their recovery and rescue efforts at Ground Zero. She said the troops began the fight against terrorism in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and were proud to continue it in Iraq.

"I thought you looked familiar," Bush said, and then joked: "I probably look familiar to you, too."

Paul Rieckhoff, director of the New York-based Operation Truth, an advocacy group for U.S. veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan, denounced the event as a "carefully scripted publicity stunt." Five of the 10 U.S. troops involved were officers, he said.

"If he wants the real opinions of the troops, he can't do it in a nationally televised teleconference," Rieckhoff said. "He needs to be talking to the boots on the ground and that's not a bunch of captains."

try posting an argument with your sources.. Posting your sources aint justifyable for an arguement! :roll:

Canuck said:
McClellan News Briefing < - > 10/13 22:47:58

Q Scott, why did the administration feel it was necessary to coach the soldiers that the President talked to this morning in Iraq?

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm sorry, I don't know what you're suggesting.

Q Well, they discussed the questions ahead of time. They were told exactly what the President would ask, and they were coached, in terms of who would answer what question, and how they would pass the microphone.

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm sorry, are you suggesting that what our troops were saying was not sincere, or what they said was not their own thoughts?

Q Nothing at all. I'm just asking why it was necessary to coach them.

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, in terms of the event earlier today, the event was set up to highlight an important milestone in Iraq's history, and to give the President an opportunity to, once again, express our appreciation for all that our troops are doing when it comes to defending freedom, and their courage and their sacrifice. And this is a satellite feed, as you are aware, and there are always technological challenges involved when you're talking with troops on a satellite feed like this. And I think that we worked very closely with the Department of Defense to coordinate this event. And I think all they were doing was talking to the troops and letting them know what to expect.

Q But we asked you specifically this morning if there would be any screening of questions or if they were being told in any way what they should say or do, and you indicated no.

MR. McCLELLAN: I don't think that's what the question was earlier today. I think the question earlier today was asking if they could ask whatever they want, and I said, of course, the President was -- and you saw --

Q Scott, have you always been such a douchebag?

MR. McCLELLAN: Come again?

Q Have you always been such a filthy asswipe?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I...I...

Q I think that answers my question.

http://forums.craigslist.org/?forumID=20

[Moderator mode]
:smash:

This is an official warning...

This disruptive behavior WILL NOT continue in the forum...

If this does not ceast & desist right now, suspensions and/or banishment will be in order...

Many people have already publicly stated that your style of debate is not condusive with the standards this forum attempts to acheive...continue in this style and action WILL be taken...

[/Moderator mode]

cnredd said:
[Moderator mode]

If this does not ceast & desist right now, suspensions and/or banishment will be in order...

Many people have already publicly stated that your style of debate is not condusive with the standards this forum attempts to acheive...continue in this style and action WILL be taken...

[/Moderator mode]

Finally someone is taking action! :applaud
Thanks cnredd! :D

AK_Conservative said:
Finally someone is taking action! :applaud
Thanks cnredd! :D

Here here, I agree as well. I have been very nice for a very long time and I have been very patient with this individual as well. And I am getting very tired lately.

cnredd said:
[Moderator mode]

[/Moderator mode]

still awaiting someone to debate the posted material
all I get are wise cracks and no debate
Because noone can dispute the mateial is not my fault
I will be happy to dabate
BRING IT ON

Canuck said:
still awaiting someone to debate the posted material
all I get are wise cracks and no debate
Because noone can dispute the mateial is not my fault
I will be happy to dabate
BRING IT ON

It is your responcibility to start the debate! you never did such a thing.. how could there be a debate when you say nothing?

Ask the Soldiers on the ground what is goping on !

Why do it at all ,if it is to be staged it makes no sense ,other then tricking the people people into believing all is well.

Canuck said:
Ask the Soldiers on the ground what is goping on !

Why do it at all ,if it is to be staged it makes no sense ,other then tricking the people people into believing all is well.

It wasn't staged, any more than 60 minutes or ANY INTERVIEW EVER is staged. They didn't tell the soldiers what to say, or how they wanted them to act, they just rehearsed the order they would talk so that the interview was professional. If you had any experience with broadcast journalism, you'd know that this is completely normal.

Another case of the AP trying to make a story out of nothing. It was certainly a more honest report than this one...
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/10/14.html#a5377

We all have opinions and theories.we can debate untill the cows come home.But the truth is ,the soldiers were hand picked and each were given a question to answer.No doubt they were all republicans ,and had their nostrils full of elephant dung.

SCOTT is a liar and a con artist

Alas its all been done before from both sisdes of the house !

DUMP BOTH REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRATES BOTH ARE CORRUPT

CanDuck,

In your eagerness to belittle everything about our involvement in Iraq, you've grasped at the wrong straw. Was there 'coaching'? Sure, about the 'mechanics' of the presentation: who would field which questions and how to make the videoconference run smoothly. These Army guys certainly did not want to be embarrased in front of their Commander in Chief.

But having read all that I can find, thus far I can find no questions where the troops were directed to respond in any certain way or manner or use certain terms of speech or description.

Here is the account from one soldier who participated in the videoconference,
SGT. Ron Long, an Army combat medic in Iraq.

Exceprt from: http://michellemalkin.com/archives/2005_10.htm

"Yesterday, I (bottom right corner in the picture) was chosen to be among a small group of soldiers assigned to the 42ID's Task Force Liberty that would speak to President Bush, our Commander-in-Chief. The interview went well, but I would like to respond to what most of the mass-media has dubbed as, "A Staged Event."

First of all, we were told that we would be speaking with the President of the United States, our Commander-in-Chief, President Bush, so I believe that it would have been totally irresponsible for us NOT to prepare some ideas, facts or comments that we wanted to share with the President.

We were given an idea as to what topics he may discuss with us, but it's the President of the United States; He will choose which way his conversation with us may go.

We practiced passing the microphone around to one another, so we wouldn't choke someone on live TV. We had an idea as to who we thought should answer what types of questions, unless President Bush called on one of us specifically.

President Bush told us, during his closing, that the American people were behind us. I know that we are fighting here, not only to preserve our own freedoms, but to establish those same freedoms for the people of Iraq. It makes my stomach ache to think that we are helping to preserve free speech in the US, while the media uses that freedom to try to RIP DOWN the President and our morale, as US Soldiers. They seem to be enjoying the fact that they are tearing the country apart. Worthless!"

Strikes me that your opinions have been shown to be long on bias and conjecture and lacking in objectivity. And short on facts.

Back
Top Bottom