• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McCain To Russia: 'Putin Doesn't Respect You'

Fallenangel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
As promised McCain answered to Putin's article in the NYT.

Here is the full piece.
Senator John McCain: Russians deserve better than Putin - English pravda.ru

"I'm sure that isn't the first time Russians have heard me characterized as their antagonist. Since my purpose here is to dispel falsehoods used by Russia's rulers to perpetuate their power and excuse their corruption, let me begin with that untruth. I am not anti-Russian. I am pro-Russian, more pro-Russian than the regime that misrules you today...."

Cheers,
Fallen.

The Russians don't give a **** on what McCain says. He is not the president. Obama might command a wee bit more respect.

Poor McCain living in the past...

Putin gets his article in a well respected high circulation national newspaper..

McCain gets his on an online only unknown webpage... classic.

Just FYI... Pravda.. closed down 20 years ago by Yeltsin and is now a 3 times a week broadsheet type paper that no one reads (100k circulation) run by the Russian Communist Party. The website he got his article posted on has nothing what so ever to do with that publication. The website is practically unknown in Russia according to the news reports I have been seeing on BBC and Sky News.. the reporters are struggling to not laughing mostly..

So chances are very few Russians will actually read this rant piece.

So John McCain, did the big bad Soviets screw you over again and have you found Czechoslovakia yet?

The Russians don't give a **** on what McCain says. He is not the president. Obama might command a wee bit more respect.

You're right about McQueeg...no one cares what he says.

As far as Barry...

BUN65XHCIAEdwUw.jpg:large

LOL

Here is the full piece.

"I'm sure that isn't the first time Russians have heard me characterized as their antagonist. Since my purpose here is to dispel falsehoods used by Russia's rulers to perpetuate their power and excuse their corruption, let me begin with that untruth. I am not anti-Russian. I am pro-Russian, more pro-Russian than the regime that misrules you today...."

Cheers,
Fallen.

Valid statements. The Russians do deserve better than what they are having. Hell, americans deserve better than what they are having now. EVERYBODY deserves better in terms of their government. Except maybe the danish and the norwegians since they are the happiest people on the planet, they can be happy with what they have. But everyone else deserves better.

Heya RDS :2wave: .....well a few will. But I agree that it will still allow Russians to see how some of our Pols are still caught up into the Cold War of the Past. Moreover I like the way SKY News states Johnny Quest here sent them a Blistering Column. Sounds more like Blithering Idiocy to me.

Check out McCain telling the Russians he is More Russian than they are. :shock: From the OP.....;)

"And it sends the message to people in Russia that American politicians are still stuck in the Cold War way of thinking where they seem to believe that Russian people still read Pravda and perhaps would be shocked to learn the communists are no longer in power.".....snip~

Mr McCain, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, insists he is not anti-Russian but rather "more pro-Russian than the regime that misrules you today".....snip~

Like I have said before.....it is time the American people go after McCain and send him out to pasture. Voting him out wont work, going to other Pols wont work. So all that is left is to use the Media and Social networkds. Go after McCains mentality. Call for Psychological Evaluations. Force McCain to inform the Public what medications he is on.....as clearly some are affecting his brain.

One thing Johnny Quest here is known for.....which is the thought of that Presidents come and go. Whereas himself is around for a very long time. Evidently he thinks this now applies to Foreign Leaders.

Putin will play it with the PC and not respond back.....although I am sure he will crack a few jokes at the time. Question is......should Putin respond back and not follow the Media Political Protocols nor that of Politicians around the world?

If you were the leader of another country and some US senator that is always stirring up things gets out and calls you out. Would you Respond?

Poor McCain living in the past...

Putin gets his article in a well respected high circulation national newspaper..

McCain gets his on an online only unknown webpage... classic.

Just FYI... Pravda.. closed down 20 years ago by Yeltsin and is now a 3 times a week broadsheet type paper that no one reads (100k circulation) run by the Russian Communist Party. The website he got his article posted on has nothing what so ever to do with that publication. The website is practically unknown in Russia according to the news reports I have been seeing on BBC and Sky News.. the reporters are struggling to not laughing mostly..

So chances are very few Russians will actually read this rant piece.

So John McCain, did the big bad Soviets screw you over again and have you found Czechoslovakia yet?

He also owns a mac.

No matter one's thoughts about President Putin--and the reality is that he rules in an often illiberal fashion--the contrast in style between Senator McCain's piece and President Putin's piece could not be sharper. President Putin addressed issues on which he differs from the U.S. (Syria, the role of the use of force, the role of international law, etc.). His focus was largely about policy and a little about ideology (his issue with 'American exceptionalism'). He did not engage in personal attacks on President Obama. He did not accuse President Obama of disrespecting the American people, corruption, punishing dissent, or ruling for himself.

Senator McCain's piece is quite crude. It contains a number of personal attacks on President Putin. Consequently, it is difficult to see how his message will be well-received in Russia and, far more importantly, make a positive contribution toward frayed bilateral U.S.-Russia relations. A message that focused on areas where Russia could make improvements, without personalizing blame, could have gone farther.

Senator McCain could have argued that President Putin faces some enormous challenges. He could have stated that leadership demands that those challenges not distort policy to the point where basic liberties and principles of justice are compromised. He could also have articulated major interests that the U.S. and Russia share to highlight some of the areas in which both countries could cooperate. He could have made the positive point that he looks forward to working with a strong, confident Russia in which all of Russia's people enjoy the basic dignity of life that properly should belong to all peoples.

He didn't. Instead, he accused President Putin of not believing in values such as the rule of law and respect for human rights, not believing in the Russian people, and 'ruling for himself' rather than Russia's people. The op-ed is more an attack piece than one aimed at fostering a policy debate. It won't advance discussion on the values Senator McCain seems to believe Russia should respect. It might even harden some of the countervailing trends that pose a threat to such values.

lol what next penis size comparsion?

Putin should have kept this thoughts to himself in the first place.

Putin tries to tell us that we aren't important, and McCain tries to tell the Russian people that they are important.

To address the publication issue on this thread: Russia won't let McCain's piece published in widely circulated media? Shocking! I would agree, however, that he should have stayed more on that message than directly confront Russian leadership.

To address those claiming that this is a different Russia than the USSR in terms of leadership: Putin has been leading Russia from 1999 to present. 14 years and counting. He's simply found ways to beat the technicalities of "term limits". Opposition IS crushed. That doesn't sound Soviet to you? Give me a break.

McCain's piece, while imperfect and yes, less directed than Putin's, was at least an answer to Putin's overstep.

Putin bitch slapped Obama and McCain is trying to defend our pathetic pres since ha can't defend himself. It's a sad state of affairs.

You do realize you're arguing for an article that because fighters are getting more hardened and skilled in Syria, we should do nothing so that they become even more of a threat to the world?

No one on DP has ever argued something THAT stupid.

If you think Putin's article did anything other than reveal his own raging hypocrisy, you need a serious lesson in basic political science.

He didn't. Instead, he accused President Putin of not believing in values such as the rule of law and respect for human rights, not believing in the Russian people, and 'ruling for himself' rather than Russia's people. The op-ed is more an attack piece than one aimed at fostering a policy debate. It won't advance discussion on the values Senator McCain seems to believe Russia should respect. It might even harden some of the countervailing trends that pose a threat to such values.

McCain's piece is clearly targeting the anti-Putin crowd in Russia which apparently is growing quite large. What you said about cooperation is all noble, but Putin has shown that Russia will play by its own rules which it also reserves the right to change whenever it wants. There's no real point in trying to play nice with a President who is dead set on being a pain in our butt rather than work with us towards mutual goals.

McCain just pointed out that the anti-Putin crowd has friends in the US as well as reinforcing their existing beliefs about Putin.

There's no real point in trying to play nice with a President who is dead set on being a pain in our butt rather than work with us towards mutual goals.
Are you talking about Obama or Putin?

You do realize you're arguing for an article that because fighters are getting more hardened and skilled in Syria, we should do nothing so that they become even more of a threat to the world?

No one on DP has ever argued something THAT stupid.

If you think Putin's article did anything other than reveal his own raging hypocrisy, you need a serious lesson in basic political science.

What I am arguing is that Putin bitch slapped Obama and Obama bent over and took it like the worthless little no balls punk he is.

McCain's piece is clearly targeting the anti-Putin crowd in Russia which apparently is growing quite large. What you said about cooperation is all noble, but Putin has shown that Russia will play by its own rules which it also reserves the right to change whenever it wants. There's no real point in trying to play nice with a President who is dead set on being a pain in our butt rather than work with us towards mutual goals.

McCain just pointed out that the anti-Putin crowd has friends in the US as well as reinforcing their existing beliefs about Putin.

All nations seek to play by their rules and interests. Those with greater power have a greater capacity to do so. Clearly, there are some fundamental differences between the U.S. and Russia. Those cannot be bridged easily nor should the U.S. capitulate on those matters. At the same time, there are broad areas of common interest. Those issues range from a pragmatic approach to missile defense to economic cooperation. Greater effort should be devoted to cooperation in those areas than has been the case.

I admire Vladimir Putin.

1) He uses a US media source to express his views while the Russian media currently ranks a dismal 148th out of 179 on the free press index according to "Reporters Without Borders."

2) He expresses concern about innocent civilians being killed by a US missle strike while he's been arming Assad for years so that he could slaughter the Syrian people.

3) Lastly Putin pompously states that "we're all created equal" after Russia recently passed anti-gay legislation.

Putin is truly a moral and non-hypocritical beacon of hope on the international stage.

All nations seek to play by their rules and interests.

But Russia has a tendency of saying "screw the rules everyone else agreed to, we're doing it our way." Most nations try to get the best outcome under the rules they agreed to. Russia just tosses the whole damn book out when it wants to. Putin is saying that any act without UN authorization is aggression, but Putin had no problem invading Georgia without one. And he had no problems order the war in Chechnya which killed 160,000 people. China is more willing to agree to the rules than Russia is. Russia under Putin cannot be trusted. Period.

Those with greater power have a greater capacity to do so. Clearly, there are some fundamental differences between the U.S. and Russia. Those cannot be bridged easily nor should the U.S. capitulate on those matters. At the same time, there are broad areas of common interest. Those issues range from a pragmatic approach to missile defense to economic cooperation. Greater effort should be devoted to cooperation in those areas than has been the case.

True there are matters that should be cooperated on, but with Putin in power, I don't see that happening. Every inch we give Putin will take a mile in his favor. We simply may have to wait until he's out of power for anything to change. Millions of Russians are doing the same thing: waiting for the Dawn to break on Putin's Russia.

Here is the full piece.

Cheers,
Fallen.

Putin to McCain, Russia doesn't respect you!

You really have no idea the raging hypocrisies, lies and idiotic arguments Obama gives you every day do you.

Good thing I didn't vote for him then eh?

The labeling rather than dealing with someone's argument shows you have no debate skills whatsoever.

It's funny how you thought Putin's article was worthy of anything but criticism.

Tell me, do you actually think Putin cares about UN security council agreements when he ordered an invasion of Georgia without UN backing and is still occupying parts of the country illegally?

I don't expect you to answer that. I expect you to run away.

Good thing I didn't vote for him then eh?

The labeling rather than dealing with someone's argument shows you have no debate skills whatsoever.

It's funny how you thought Putin's article was worthy of anything but criticism.

Tell me, do you actually think Putin cares about UN security council agreements when he ordered an invasion of Georgia without UN backing and is still occupying parts of the country illegally?

I don't expect you to answer that. I expect you to run away.

Putin is a lying sack of s*** and so is Obama so I give them both the same respect or lack thereof.

Back
Top Bottom