• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

McCain Insists on Torture Ban

TimmyBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Set em straight McCain:

McCain: Torture Ban Needed for U.S. Image By FOSTER KLUG, Associated Press Writer
Sun Nov 13, 5:22 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record) argued Sunday that America's image abroad could be ruined if Congress doesn't ban the torture of prisoners in U.S. custody.

McCain, who was tortured during the Vietnam War, is the leading supporter of a provision banning such inhumane treatment.

White House officials, however, have threatened a presidential veto of any bill with restrictions on handling detainees, saying it would limit the president's ability to protect Americans and prevent a terrorist attack.

"If we are viewed as a country that engages in torture ... any possible information we might be able to gain is far counterbalanced by (the negative) effect of public opinion," McCain, R-Ariz., said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

Terrorists are "the quintessence of evil," he said. "But it's not about them; it's about us. This battle we're in is about the things we stand for and believe in and practice. And that is an observance of human rights, no matter how terrible our adversaries may be."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051113/ap_on_go_co/mccain_torture

Yeah, I would have loved to see Cheney try and convince McCain that having torture on the table is a good thing. Listen-the guy has been through it and knows the horror that accompanies it. If that is any better argument than those already out there....well, that is the best argument.

McCain: The GOP's voice of reason

The bill passed 90-9 as I understand it but then Cheney who as president of the senate is the eyes and ears of the president in the senate then decided to push the Bush administration to veto it. I haven't read the bill myself (link anyone?) but I believe the controversy resides over the bills vagueness in the definition of torture and fails to make the distinction b/w coersive interogation and torture.

Back
Top Bottom