• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McCain Calls Morsi Ouster a Coup, Urges Blocking Aid

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
McCain calls Morsi ouster a coup d

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) called the ouster of Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi a coup d’etat and pressed the Obama administration to suspend aid to the country on Sunday.

"It was a coup and it was the second time in two and a half years that we have seen the military step in," McCain said on CBS's "Face the Nation."

Well, yes it was a coup, and yes, it was anti-democratic. But it was still the right thing to do.

Democracy cannot be allowed to become a suicide pact.

Morsi was elected by the people of Egypt whether you like it or not. They elected him leader you may not like him but Egypt does.

I would support suspending aid until the military resigns power and the rule of law restored (figuratively speaking). I wouldn't, however, advise withholding aid indefinitely and subsequently losing influence with a very important player in the ME.

Morsi was elected by the people of Egypt whether you like it or not. They elected him leader you may not like him but Egypt does.

Actually, no - from what I've seen, Egypt doesn't like him - or more importantly, Egypt doesn't like the way he disbanded parliament, also democratically elected, and they don't like the way he and the Muslim Brotherhood hijacked the new constitution project, freezing out all other parties and moving towards sharia law.

When a democratically elected government stops acting democratically, then often that democratically elected government is stopped by the people.

The military did not take over - they simply acted as a referee. They saw the people rising up again and they decided to step in to avoid a return to chaos. What you have now, basically, is a restart back at the time when Mubarak was overthrown. They have a chance to get it right now.

As an aside, in my view, many of the first world countries should be encouraging a new beginning for Egypt and rather than just military aid, we should be looking at propping up Egypt's economy, helping them move forward and provide jobs and meaningful lives to this country that is disproportionately young in comparison to our populations in the west. And Egypt is really the most important country in a fragmented and volatile middle east region and we need to see it succeed more than any other country there.

Actually, no - from what I've seen, Egypt doesn't like him - or more importantly, Egypt doesn't like the way he disbanded parliament, also democratically elected, and they don't like the way he and the Muslim Brotherhood hijacked the new constitution project, freezing out all other parties and moving towards sharia law.

When a democratically elected government stops acting democratically, then often that democratically elected government is stopped by the people.

The military did not take over - they simply acted as a referee. They saw the people rising up again and they decided to step in to avoid a return to chaos. What you have now, basically, is a restart back at the time when Mubarak was overthrown. They have a chance to get it right now.

As an aside, in my view, many of the first world countries should be encouraging a new beginning for Egypt and rather than just military aid, we should be looking at propping up Egypt's economy, helping them move forward and provide jobs and meaningful lives to this country that is disproportionately young in comparison to our populations in the west. And Egypt is really the most important country in a fragmented and volatile middle east region and we need to see it succeed more than any other country there.

Good evening, CJ! :2wave:

Very well said! :thumbs:

Well, yes it was a coup, and yes, it was anti-democratic. But it was still the right thing to do.

Democracy cannot exist in a theocracy where the real power is not in the hands of those elected. You can't call repeated hits on the reset button of a nation's leadership by the military (or any other power group) a democracy. These mock elections, by ignoranty masses, that result in installing corrupt dictators that begin by enacting complete system rule changes (up to and including rewriting the constitution) will never remain a democratic gov't.

Good evening Lady P - hope all is well with you, and thanks.

All is well with me, :thanks:

I had a chance to swim with and play with the bottleneck dolphins at South Padre Island! Magnificent animals! The pod leader jumped out of the water and gave me a kiss! I swear he was laughing at my shock, but that's the way they look all the time, I guess...smiling! :cool:

I had a chance to swim with and play with the bottleneck dolphins at South Padre Island! Magnificent animals! The pod leader jumped out of the water and gave me a kiss! I swear he was laughing at my shock, but that's the way they look all the time, I guess...smiling! :cool:
You really ought to limit this jabber to pm's, we really don't care about your personal life...at all.

No they don't. Maybe at first, but they clearly changed their minds when they saw him turning into Mubarak all over again.

You really ought to limit this jabber to pm's, we really don't care about your personal life...at all.

Sorry if I offended anyone...but it was a unique experience for me. :cool:

Who cares? It is off topic and revealing your personal info, send it in an pm. It isn't a matter of "offence".

He's jealous ... people say "kiss' and he just remembers ...

big-lips.jpg

Hey Polgara :2wave:

Sounds like an awesome time, glad you're having fun out there! :mrgreen:

It shouldn't have happened by the military. It should have been electoral. Anytime its a coup and we back it, we've thrown our lot in with the dictator over an elected official. Which is a very risky gamble. A gamble we've repeatedly lost on in the past and a gamble that has resulted in us being deemed "the Great Satan" by almost the entire Middle East.

They need to oust through election. They have to learn that it can be done peacefully. Otherwise anytime a policy goes forth they don't like the kneejerk reaction will be violence as the answer.

It shouldn't have happened by the military. It should have been electoral. Anytime its a coup and we back it, we've thrown our lot in with the dictator over an elected official. Which is a very risky gamble. A gamble we've repeatedly lost on in the past and a gamble that has resulted in us being deemed "the Great Satan" by almost the entire Middle East.

They need to oust through election. They have to learn that it can be done peacefully. Otherwise anytime a policy goes forth they don't like the kneejerk reaction will be violence as the answer.

As general principles I can agree with what you say, but how was that going to work this time? Morsi was moving to solidify theocratic, oligarchic control, issuing "constitutional declarations" that put all power into his hands and using goons to intimidate the Supreme Court. The only way to reverse this was to resort to force, and only the military had enough of that.

It raises the question of what to do with political groups whose main goal is to destroy a nation's system of government and impose one party rule, because once that happens democracy in that nation is dead. In the US we dealt with that at one point by, in essence, making membership in the party in question, the Communist Party, illegal.

You can't stand a little break from the incessant political party bashing around here?

'Blocking Aid'!?

We never should have sent any aid in the first place.

'Blocking Aid'!?

We never should have sent any aid in the first place.

:agree: Who made the decision to send aid in the first place?

Good morning, SMTA. :2wave:

:agree: Who made the decision to send aid in the first place?

Good morning, SMTA. :2wave:

Morning!

Money only buys tepid friends at best.....

Aid should have been blocked regardless of who is in power there. It's absoultely crazy all the aid we send overseas and then have a government complaining that our debt is too high.

Back
Top Bottom