• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mayweather vs Alvarez

Canelo's power looks good. If and that's a big IF... if he can connect cleanly... look out.

This reminds me of when I was a kid listening on the radio the fight between Cascius Clay and Sonny Liston.

This reminds me of when I was a kid listening on the radio the fight between Cascius Clay and Sonny Liston.

I have the same birthday as Howard Cosell. I'll try my best. lol

Mayweather's low left guard with high shoulder is just giving canelo nowhere to land.

Mayweather is often playing against the ropes now. Canelo working the body a lot.

Into round 9 now and it looks like Canelo is running behind on points IMO. He's going to start getting more aggressive and open himself up a bit.

pace is quickening for both. round 9 over.

Mayweather being the aggressor now. Canelo spending time on the ropes.

10 rounds in the books now.

Mayweather's speed is just winning this. Defensive head speed and punch speed.

mayweather is pretty much laying low

Yes, I think it went the way experts predicted

majority decision

one judge called a draw

Well, maybe it was too soon for Alvarez to take on Mayweather. I see a rematch.

Mayweather wins

Mayweather has about 5 or 6 more contracted fights with showtime I believe.

I was hoping Alvarez could pull it out. He got one good lesson tonight though. He is only 23yrs old. He will be back.

Always interesting when one judge calls it 114-114 and another calls it 117-111

Boxing is on it's deathbed.

Always interesting when one judge calls it 114-114 and another calls it 117-111

Yeah, I heard this morning on the way into work. The way they were talking on the radio that some female Judge called the fight even 6 rounds a piece. when they said Alvarez may have landed 6 good shots all night long. They said it was a blowout for Mayweather.

Judging 'controversy' can't steal Floyd Mayweather's thunder in lopsided win over Canelo Alvarez

20130914_jla_aj4_976-274ee43f286c43ce27e5008edae4a7a5

Not everyone goes home from an evening in Vegas $8,000 in profit but Cynthia J. Ross did just that on Saturday night. And even though Ross, a ringside judge, pocketed approximately 5,000 times less than Floyd Mayweather, it is hard to argue that she deserved a cent of it.

While every pay-per-view customer around the world, every fan at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, both Mayweather and his opponent, Canelo Alvarez, and even the guy with the wonky eyesight squinting from the nosebleed section saw that this was one of the biggest blowouts in recent boxing history, a lady with one of the best seats in the house missed it.

Ross scored the contest, if you can call it that, as a 114-114 draw, handing six rounds to each fighter. To all other witnesses, it seemed like the Mexican youngster barely landed six convincing punches, let alone did enough meaningful work to deserve a judge's nod.

In Ross' defense … (crickets).

Horrendous judging does nothing for the credibility of boxing and her reported paycheck of $8,000 should at least demand a certain level of competence. Mayweather's response when the decision was announced – "What the [expletive] is that?" said it all. Of course, boxers are routinely able to delude themselves over the actual veracity of the decision-making but there should have been no confusion here.

"It was so one-sided," boxing legend Bernard Hopkins said. "I don't care who it is, when it is not right, it is not right. I don't know where it came from."

Just as Mayweather knew that he had convincingly won just about every round, so too was Alvarez well aware of how badly he had been beaten. The 23-year-old's corner even told him at the midway point that he needed to win every round from that stage onwards, evidence that they believed he had been shut out until then.

Even the cards of Dave Moretti (116-112 to Mayweather) and Craig Metcalfe (117-111) left something to be desired. Yahoo Sports' Kevin Iole scored it 120-108, while all three Showtime television experts gave Alvarez no more than two rounds.

The official statistics showed that Mayweather landed a total of 232 punches, compared to 117 for Alvarez. He was especially dominant with the jab, connecting with 139 to 44.

"He was simply too good," Alvarez conceded after the fight.....snip~

Y! SPORTS

Yeah, I heard this morning on the way into work. The way they were talking on the radio that some female Judge called the fight even 6 rounds a piece. when they said Alvarez may have landed 6 good shots all night long. They said it was a blowout for Mayweather.

Judging 'controversy' can't steal Floyd Mayweather's thunder in lopsided win over Canelo Alvarez

20130914_jla_aj4_976-274ee43f286c43ce27e5008edae4a7a5

Not everyone goes home from an evening in Vegas $8,000 in profit but Cynthia J. Ross did just that on Saturday night. And even though Ross, a ringside judge, pocketed approximately 5,000 times less than Floyd Mayweather, it is hard to argue that she deserved a cent of it.

While every pay-per-view customer around the world, every fan at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, both Mayweather and his opponent, Canelo Alvarez, and even the guy with the wonky eyesight squinting from the nosebleed section saw that this was one of the biggest blowouts in recent boxing history, a lady with one of the best seats in the house missed it.

Ross scored the contest, if you can call it that, as a 114-114 draw, handing six rounds to each fighter. To all other witnesses, it seemed like the Mexican youngster barely landed six convincing punches, let alone did enough meaningful work to deserve a judge's nod.

In Ross' defense … (crickets).

Horrendous judging does nothing for the credibility of boxing and her reported paycheck of $8,000 should at least demand a certain level of competence. Mayweather's response when the decision was announced – "What the [expletive] is that?" said it all. Of course, boxers are routinely able to delude themselves over the actual veracity of the decision-making but there should have been no confusion here.

"It was so one-sided," boxing legend Bernard Hopkins said. "I don't care who it is, when it is not right, it is not right. I don't know where it came from."

Just as Mayweather knew that he had convincingly won just about every round, so too was Alvarez well aware of how badly he had been beaten. The 23-year-old's corner even told him at the midway point that he needed to win every round from that stage onwards, evidence that they believed he had been shut out until then.

Even the cards of Dave Moretti (116-112 to Mayweather) and Craig Metcalfe (117-111) left something to be desired. Yahoo Sports' Kevin Iole scored it 120-108, while all three Showtime television experts gave Alvarez no more than two rounds.

The official statistics showed that Mayweather landed a total of 232 punches, compared to 117 for Alvarez. He was especially dominant with the jab, connecting with 139 to 44.

"He was simply too good," Alvarez conceded after the fight.....snip~

Y! SPORTS

Alvarez knows he lost to a better boxer. Mayweather may act goofy and crazy in public but you know in the gym that guy has put in some serious hours of training.

I am a big Alvarez supporter but I could tell by the round by round accounts that he was going to lose unless he knocked out Mayweather.

Really don't know how the one judge could call it a draw. This almost reminds me of the Olympic boxing judging.

I still don't understand why Mayweather walked into the ring with Justin Bieber. I guess Ryan Seacrest had another engagement preventing him from joining the boxer.

Back
Top Bottom