• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mayor: Israeli forces confiscate land near Hebron

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Israeli soldiers issued orders barring residents of four small villages in the southern West Bank from their land, mayor Suleiman Al-Adam said Sunday.

The orders declared the agricultural land a closed military zone, and ordered farmers and others working on the land to evacuate. The soldiers also confiscated farming equipment, a statement by Beit Ula’s mayor said.

The villagers stand to lose more than 5,000 dunums (five square kilometers) of land, on which more than 60 Palestinian families from the villages west of Hebron depend for their livelihood, the mayor said.

The mayor said farmers were given 45 days to submit an appeal to the Israeli military court, adding that Beit Ula municipal council would help residents with this.

A spokesman for the Israeli Civil Administration said he was not familiar with the reports.

The village land lies on the proposed route of the separation wall.

A recent report by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs found that once completed, the wall will annex 9.5 percent of Palestinian land.

Only 15 percent of the wall’s projected route is on the Green Line, the 1967 border with Israel, with the remaining 85 percent cutting inside the West Bank.

Six years ago, the International Court of Justice ruled the wall a violation of international humanitarian and human rights law, and called on Israel to cease construction, dismantle constructed parts and pay reparations to those already materially damaged by it.

Since the ruling, Israel has added approximately 200 kilometers to the wall, OCHA reported.

Maan News Agency: Mayor: Israeli forces confiscate Hebron land

Israeli soldiers issued orders barring residents of four small villages in the southern West Bank from their land
Stealing Palestinians land on one hand and making yourself look like a partner of peace is truly deceptive.It's no wonder Palestinians don't trust Israel.
The villagers stand to lose more than 5,000 dunums (five square kilometers) of land, on which more than 60 Palestinian families from the villages west of Hebron depend for their livelihood, the mayor said
These people have every right to be angry, don't you think.
once completed, the wall will annex 9.5 percent of Palestinian land.
What a cruel and heartless crime, almost 10% of their land taken, it was already a meager amount of land to start with. Where is the justice? Is stealing one's land and livelihood not terrorrism?

Considering that the West Bank was rightfully won by Israel, is considered occupied territory that by all rights at this point should belong to Israel and they could've annexed it into them already if htey wished, and its through Israel's allowance that the Palestinians are able to act with self governance there I'm having a hard time getting hugely bothered by this or believing these people have a "right" to anything with regards to the land. They abdicated that right when they refused to agree to have the land designated to them legally back in the 1940's, choosing to go to war instead. If you offer to split something with me and you refuse and demand we go double or nothing, you can't come back later after you lose and go "Its my right to have my half!".

The hilarity of Europe, a land where many countries have their present day borders in part because of wars and conflicts that won it for them, complaining about Israel taking action in land it conquered after being ATTACKED is thick with irony. Only with regards to Israel have I ever seen a situation where countries choosing to attack it, and then lose, somehow still have rights and claims to that which they lost.

Considering that the West Bank was rightfully won by Israel
Actually it was stolen by a mostly non-indiginous people from Europe and Russia,if their of European/Russian descent, why come to a land that is not yours from halfway around the world? This reminds me of the problem in Florida, where they have an invasive species problem causing havoc.
I'm having a hard time getting hugely bothered by this or believing these people have a "right" to anything with regards to the land.
With all due respect, you shouldn't be having a hard time being hugely bothered or believing these people have a right to anything with regards to the land because,Palestinians have been living on that land for generations, as they are from the middleast, thats the only place they know as home.On the otherhand the non-indiginous Europeans/Russians have been living in their ancestral lands in Germany,Poland, Russia etc., for countless generations, Palestinians didn't go over their to claim their land.That would be thievery and that's wrong.
They abdicated that right when they refused to agree to have the land designated to them legally back in the 1940's, choosing to go to war instead
They had no choice, why would they want to give up territory that's already theirs in the first place?
If you offer to split something with me
Why would you have to split something that's rightfully yours if you don't want too?would you split your money in your wallet between me and you for no reason?
complaining about Israel taking action in land it conquered after being ATTACKED is thick with irony
It was the Palestinian's who were attacked since at the time they owned most of the land and were the major population.
Only with regards to Israel have I ever seen a situation where countries choosing to attack it, and then lose, somehow still have rights and claims to that which they lost.
again, in reality it was the Palestinians who had the majority of the territory and indiginous population who were attacked and threatened to be usurped.

Actually it was stolen by a mostly non-indiginous people from Europe and Russia,if their of European/Russian descent, why come to a land that is not yours from halfway around the world? This reminds me of the problem in Florida, where they have an invasive species problem causing havoc.

With all due respect, you shouldn't be having a hard time being hugely bothered or believing these people have a right to anything with regards to the land because,Palestinians have been living on that land for generations, as they are from the middleast, thats the only place they know as home.On the otherhand the non-indiginous Europeans/Russians have been living in their ancestral lands in Germany,Poland, Russia etc., for countless generations, Palestinians didn't go over their to claim their land.That would be thievery and that's wrong.

They had no choice, why would they want to give up territory that's already theirs in the first place?

Why would you have to split something that's rightfully yours if you don't want too?would you split your money in your wallet between me and you for no reason?

It was the Palestinian's who were attacked since at the time they owned most of the land and were the major population.

again, in reality it was the Palestinians who had the majority of the territory and indiginous population who were attacked and threatened to be usurped.

i have a simplistic question.....how far back in history do we go to determine "ownership" of lands?

i have a simplistic question.....how far back in history do we go to determine "ownership" of lands?

i hope not more than a few hundred, or i'll have to move to scotland :shock:

i suppose the land could just be given back to the ottoman empire...oh....wait

Last edited:

Or how can land that was SOLD be considered "stolen" from those who never owned it?

Not too far, as their are owners of the land still alive and born before the creation of Israel, with authentic documentation that were obtained before Israel even existed, but those documents are not honored by Israel because those documents were obtained when the land was called Palestine. Also the documents are handed down/preserved by their children/next of kin.

Last edited:
Not too far, as their are owners of the land still alive and born before the creation of Israel, with authentic documentation that were obtained before Israel even existed, but those documents are not honored by Israel because those documents were obtained when the land was called Palestine. Also the documents are handed down/preserved by their children/next of kin.

so you wanted it to be handed back to the british?

doing some further research, the last time the palestinians had their own state, it was a tiny wittle one next to the kingdom of israel, a few hundred years BC

500px-Levant_830.svg.png

on there they're the phillistines, palestine being a cognate of an ancient word for "people of phillistine"

what about the ancestral owners? i hate this stuff. jews lived in that land called palestine, didn't they?

doing some further research, the last time the palestinians had their own state, it was a tiny wittle one next to the kingdom of israel, a few hundred years BC

500px-Levant_830.svg.png

on there they're the phillistines, palestine being a cognate of an ancient word for "people of phillistine"

Well dagnabbit, man, that's the only time that counts, then!!

i hate this stuff.

You hate it? :shock: :shock:

What's there not to love about all the relentless agitprop in this forum, especially when it is so specious in nature and delivered by those who do nothing else in this entire forum but engage in it?

500px-Levant_830.svg.png

Phillistines were not a middle eastern peoples, culturally related to the Mycenians. They had, and have, no relationship with modern palestinians.

the onyl way to infer any relationship is by using the names of the two groups, but this is easily explained. the Romans, when they threw out all the Jews, renamed the territory "Palestine" after the Phillistines, to represent a termination of Judean interests in that territory, following destruction of ther temple state of the Jews that had lived there previously.

The name continued as the administrative territory held by various conquorers. In the late 19th century and early 20th century, the Jews that moved to what is now Israel called themselves "Palestinians" based on the name of the territory they wished to claim. The Arabs did not use that name to describe themselves, prefering to self-identify as ERgyptian or southern Syrian. Only following the creration of Israel did some Arabs living there adopt the name "Palestinians" for themselves. My understanding was that this took sme time (particularly as the west bank was annexed by Jorden) and gaza occupied by Egypt, and was in part driven by the propganada effort of maintaining pressure on Israel.

Of course, over time, with common history and the divergence from other states, the "Palestinian" identity has crystallized into something distinct and robust, but there is no conceivable way to tie the Palestinians as a population group to the greek phillistines.

Welcome to the world. As I've already said, almost all countries in the world in some way shape or form have been shaped based on conflict and the losing or conquering of land. Palestinians don't get to magically be exempt from it.

European powers gained control of those lands. At that point it was THEIR land. They offered to give that land to Israel and Palestine legally. Israel accepted. Palestine went to war. From that point the land has remained a disputed area with various people claiming it and winning it, with Israel controlling it over the past 3 or 4 decades.

Here's something for you. Say you default on a loan and you get kicked out of your house. You don't get to come back 30 years later and go "I WAS FROM THIS HOUSE! YOU HAVE TO GIVE IT BACK TO ME!"

You say stolen, I say "won"...just like all over the rest of the world.

Good for them, that doesn't mean its "their" land. The land was OFFERED to them from the people that actually had legal control over it. They instead chose to reject that offer and go to war. They have a "right" to nothing.

If Germany or England attack Palestine and they're able to fight back and inevitably take over those countries, more power to them.

Becuase it wasn't theirs. Just because they were from there, just because they had lived there, doesn't make it theirs.

No, but if I rightfully won your money in games of chance (much like winning land in war) you don't get to come back 30 minutes later and go "GIVE ME BACK MY MONEY! ITS MINE!"

No, they weren't the ones who were attacked. The offer was given by those that had legal domain over the land. They rejected it and went to war. THEY DID IT.

The name continued as the administrative territory held by various conquorers. In the late 19th century and early 20th century, the Jews that moved to what is now Israel called themselves "Palestinians" based on the name of the territory they wished to claim. The Arabs did not use that name to describe themselves, prefering to self-identify as ERgyptian or southern Syrian. Only following the creration of Israel did some Arabs living there adopt the name "Palestinians" for themselves. My understanding was that this took sme time (particularly as the west bank was annexed by Jorden) and gaza occupied by Egypt, and was in part driven by the propganada effort of maintaining pressure on Israel.

It's sure nice to have somebody here who actually knows something instead of just repeating the cr@p they find at propaganda sites.

AS far as the propaganda effort, how people frame the conflict influences their perceptions in terms of relative power. If one sees it as ARABS vrs Jews, one image is evoked, this being more consistent with perceptions formed during the main periods of earlier conflict. Due to the creation of this new Palestinian identity, however, people now see the issue asIsrael vrs Palestinians, and this change of perception is the result of a very deliberate process geared towards creating such.

500px-Levant_830.svg.png

Actually the Philistines were a people from the Greek islands who were occupying a territory that was mostly made of modern Gaza Strip during biblical times.
The term "Palestine" and its use to describe the land was invented by the Roman empire after they've conquered the kingdoms of Israel and Judah.

Phillistines were not a middle eastern peoples, culturally related to the Mycenians. They had, and have, no relationship with modern palestinians.

the onyl way to infer any relationship is by using the names of the two groups, but this is easily explained. the Romans, when they threw out all the Jews, renamed the territory "Palestine" after the Phillistines, to represent a termination of Judean interests in that territory, following destruction of ther temple state of the Jews that had lived there previously.

Of course, over time, with common history and the divergence from other states, the "Palestinian" identity has crystallized into something distinct and robust, but there is no conceivable way to tie the Palestinians as a population group to the greek phillistines.

oh ok, the nomenclature had me all mixed up.

oh ok, the nomenclature had me all mixed up.

Are you sure it wasn't because of your staying up all night with the cheerleading squad from The U of NSW?

Actually it was stolen by a mostly non-indiginous people from Europe and Russia,if their of European/Russian descent, why come to a land that is not yours from halfway around the world?

The Ottoman Empire legalized Jewish immigration in 1905. Britain maintained legality of such immigration for most of the British Mandate period. The rights of legal immigrants are not inferior to those of native born residents. Of course, there was also a longstanding Jewish population in the region, as well. When Britain delegated to the task of bringing the region to sovereignty to the UN, the shared historic legitimacy and equal right of self-determination for both the area's peoples was respected.

Finally, archaological, historical, and genetic data also indicate that although the Jewish diaspora was scattered, Jews were not "non-indigenous."

500px-Levant_830.svg.png

The Palestinians are descended from the Canaanites, when the land was called Canaan.Hadrian renamed the entire area philistine in 135AD after the philistines, the name stuck. But the Palestinians are the descendents of the Canaanites.

Canaan-over.jpg

I kind of thought this was an Issue in this whole deal, so why are the Israeli doing this again. My mother who is Pro Israel even thought it was pitiful. At what point, will it take to show the world that both parties don't want peace? God I hate it when I am right I had hoped that they truly wanted peace, but after this land grab my hope has now gone in flames.

Back
Top Bottom