• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mayor, ex-city manager among 8 arrested in Calif. scandal

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
This explains why those city workers were overpaid.

Mayor, ex-city manager among 8 arrested in Calif. scandal - Washington Times

The mayor and ex-city manager of the scandal-plagued Los Angeles suburb of Bell were among eight current and former city officials arrested Tuesday in a corruption investigation.

The district attorney's office said several City Council members were taken into custody along with ex-city manager Robert Rizzo and Mayor Oscar Hernandez.

"This, needless to say, is corruption on steroids," District Attorney Steve Cooley said at a news conference in Los Angeles.

The district attorney, state attorney general and others have been conducting investigations of officials in the small working-class city since it was disclosed they were paying themselves huge salaries. Mr. Rizzo was making nearly $800,000 a year.

The investigations involve allegations of corruption, misuse of public funds and voter fraud in the city where one in six of the 40,000 residents lives in poverty.

Corruption in Cali? Nooooooo, Say it ain't so......I'm shocked.

j-mac

This explains why those city workers were overpaid.

Mayor, ex-city manager among 8 arrested in Calif. scandal - Washington Times

The mayor and ex-city manager of the scandal-plagued Los Angeles suburb of Bell were among eight current and former city officials arrested Tuesday in a corruption investigation.

The district attorney's office said several City Council members were taken into custody along with ex-city manager Robert Rizzo and Mayor Oscar Hernandez.

"This, needless to say, is corruption on steroids," District Attorney Steve Cooley said at a news conference in Los Angeles.

The district attorney, state attorney general and others have been conducting investigations of officials in the small working-class city since it was disclosed they were paying themselves huge salaries. Mr. Rizzo was making nearly $800,000 a year.

The investigations involve allegations of corruption, misuse of public funds and voter fraud in the city where one in six of the 40,000 residents lives in poverty.

One can only hope these arrests send shockwaves of "oops" to other muni's throughout the country. While theirs may be a more flagrant abuse, they are definitely not alone.

Funny how the story doesn't mention that all eight are Democrats.

If they were Republicans......? Better yet, if they were Tea Partiers........?

They would still be scummy criminals.

Yes, but they'd be scummy, Republican, tea-party sympathizing, bigoted, gay-bashing, Bible-thumping criminals in 3-inch headlines.

Yes, but they'd be scummy, Republican, tea-party sympathizing, bigoted, gay-bashing, Bible-thumping criminals in 3-inch headlines.

I think you forgot birther in there. :2razz:

The headline would have been " Eight Republican City Council Members Arrested."We all know it's a fact that the media would never pass up a chance to bash the oppisition. When it's their own they will ignore the party affiliation. If an article doesn't say Republican, you are guaranteed that it is a Democrat.

The headline would have been " Eight Republican City Council Members Arrested."We all know it's a fact that the media would never pass up a chance to bash the oppisition. When it's their own they will ignore the party affiliation. If an article doesn't say Republican, you are guaranteed that it is a Democrat.

Can you approve this assertion without using anecdotal evidence? (some numbers would be good)

Conservative ===>
crying_baby.gif
<===Conservative​

Oh come now this could have happened to anyone.

It's hard for me to believe the City Attorney didn't stop them and if not that rat them out.

When I was on a council our Attorney was quick to point out anything remotely close to being questionable, and that was a rare event, But hen were were on live TV every meeting and people were paying attention.

Last edited:
Conservative ===>
crying_baby.gif
<===Conservative​

Had they been all Republicans the Obmadia 5th Column would have been all over this alot more than they have covered it so far.

And your poat goes to show that your kind would rather make judgments and name call.

Isn't if kind of funny how the Lefties are fisrst to hateful yet they are quick to point their crooked little fingers at others and projsct their charactor failings on others but never have any proof.

I guess they all have studied the Alenski Rules for Racicals. The one that covers this (and I paraphrase) lie often enough and dumb asses will believe it. Another tells them to keep the pressure on and never let up. They go hand in glove.

So sad.

That projection on your part.

Well aren't you brilliant you post is like a little child that is at a loss for words so he
resorts to the old stand by: "I know you are but what am I?" :applaud go ahead and take a bow. :funny

Good one boy did you get me. NOT!

I would have sworn you had to over 12 to post here. My bad. :Oopsie

Can you approve this assertion without using anecdotal evidence? (some numbers would be good)

I do not know about headline titles but I do know republican scandals are treated different by the media. Larry Craig scandal made news for weeks. Jim McGreevey cheats on his wife and the media is calling him a brave man for coming out the closet and goes on Oprah and they consider him a brave man for coming out the closet. John Edwards a very well known democrat has an affair on his wife and it was only mentioned for a day or two.

You have posted no proof of their party affiliations.

Back
Top Bottom