• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Maxine tells homeless to "go home"

The point you are attempting to deflect from is that all tent cities are in democrat run states and cities.
See....that's truly the thing I don't understand about registered democrats. Well...I mean...I DO understand them. They register into an ideology and they let the ideology form their opinion on EVERYTHING. But they COMPLETELY ignore the facts, which indicates they truly don't give a **** about ANYTHING but their political identity. The FACTS show that in EVERY democrat run city a cross the state, the governing body has DESTROYED the minority family and community. EVERY SINGLE CITY that the left bitches about policing, police reform, poverty, homelessness, violence, teen pregnancy, gang activity...pick a subject...and IN EVERY CITY you will find a democrat run government...a democrat run government that has been in place for NUMEROUS decades.

Or walls as in the case of the Obama's estate.
Oh no...they arent 'walls' per se, because they arent 100% brick and mortar. Leftsts dont believe in walls...lets call them...ummm...property beautification enhancements....

Throwing billions and billions and billions of your grandchildrens money into programs that are not helping and are in fact showing an INCREASE in the problem is not leadership nor is it 'advocacy'...and defending it is lunacy.

Name the programs. I benefitted from food stamps when I was poor, from a government medical insurance program when I was pronounced uninsurable, ditto my cancer-survivor wife. And my friend in a wheelchair benefits from government assistance. But maybe I am mistaken and these are not things that trouble you: are you talking about farm subsidies that increased under Trump, making the rich richer?

Or perhaps military spending?

Some of my grandkids money involved there no doubt.

Name the programs. I benefitted from food stamps when I was poor, from a government medical insurance program when I was pronounced uninsurable, ditto my cancer-survivor wife. And my friend in a wheelchair benefits from government assistance. But maybe I am mistaken and these are not things that trouble you: are you talking about farm subsidies that increased under Trump, making the rich richer?

Or perhaps military spending?

Some of my grandkids money involved there no doubt.
I believe we were talking about the homeless programs...an area where there has not only been no progress but in fact after throwing in billions and billions of dollars, the problems have gotten WORSE not better.

Now why would you want to run from that discussion.........

She said it and should own it as one of the oops moments that can come out of all our mouths. It happens.

works as a political mailer,...

View attachment 67383196
I actually give Waters some credit for going there in person and telling a crowd of understandably upset people news they didn't want to hear. Many elected officials would simply have a lacky do it. That said, as is so often the case with Waters, her arrogance got the better of her and in a moment of stress her bitter, self-centered nature again broke through.

See....that's truly the thing I don't understand about registered democrats. Well...I mean...I DO understand them. They register into an ideology and they let the ideology form their opinion on EVERYTHING. But they COMPLETELY ignore the facts, which indicates they truly don't give a **** about ANYTHING but their political identity. The FACTS show that in EVERY democrat run city a cross the state, the governing body has DESTROYED the minority family and community. EVERY SINGLE CITY that the left bitches about policing, police reform, poverty, homelessness, violence, teen pregnancy, gang activity...pick a subject...and IN EVERY CITY you will find a democrat run government...a democrat run government that has been in place for NUMEROUS decades.
I think it's a case of where their motives are directed or misdirected. They have been running LBJ's so called "Great Society" programs for 6 decades with no reduction in poverty. By now they are certainly aware that they don't work, however that's not their real motive. Their real motive is buying votes in the inner cities with non stop entitlement programs. Solving poverty would involve a bit of tough love, such as workfare rather then welfare, supporting school voucher programs that would assist low income parents in choosing where to send their children to school.it would require the democrats to have more empathy for those children then the teachers unions. They could support enterprise zones that would create more employment in the inner cities. It would also help if leftwing owned corporations would put their money where their mouth is and open locations in the inner cities. For instance, Starbucks says: "Let's talk about race", yet, somehow I never see a Starbucks in the inner city areas.

I think it's a case of where their motives are directed or misdirected. They have been running LBJ's so called "Great Society" programs for 6 decades with no reduction in poverty. By now they are certainly aware that they don't work, however that's not their real motive. Their real motive is buying votes in the inner cities with non stop entitlement programs. Solving poverty would involve a bit of tough love, such as workfare rather then welfare, supporting school voucher programs that would assist low income parents in choosing where to send their children to school.it would require the democrats to have more empathy for those children then the teachers unions. They could support enterprise zones that would create more employment in the inner cities. It would also help if leftwing owned corporations would put their money where their mouth is and open locations in the inner cities. For instance, Starbucks says: "Let's talk about race", yet, somehow I never see a Starbucks in the inner city areas.
Well...I'd like to think that inner city people are smart enough to not pay 12 bucks for 60 cents of product...but maybe there are other reasons.

Inner cities need real targeted renovation...not gentrification.

Why would someone "try" with a Trumpist whose only contribution to DP is to make the fourth spam thread on each Fox-commanded topic of the day? The only part of this that could imaginably be called your contribution is when you say "lol look what Fox said."

We know where foxnews.com is if we want to find it.
Whining about Trump. Whining about Fox News. But none of your whining made the event not happen or the report less true. You know the think you obviously are desperate not to address?

I believe we were talking about the homeless programs...an area where there has not only been no progress but in fact after throwing in billions and billions of dollars, the problems have gotten WORSE not better.

Now why would you want to run from that discussion.........
Okay, I'll use the sarcastic but wise words of the late comic George Carlin: we don't have a homeless problem, we have a houseless problem.

And that is composed of several other problems including poverty, mental illness, substance abuse and the high cost of housing. There is not enough housing. Carlin suggested that there was plenty of land in cities and suburbs going to waste. They are called golf courses, huge tracts of land, mostly lying idle, used only when the weather is ok, usually by funny-dressed guys in groups of four who pass through every half hour or so. We could house plenty of people there. Here's my idea: put little houses in the rough, the areas between fairways.

Seriously, there are plenty of programs that work, some better than others. In California, we used to put the mentally ill in big institutions. The history is that they shut down during Reagan's time, with the promise of community based smaller programs, a promise unfulfilled. Many of the homeless in my area apparently work, with reports that they commute to weekday jobs, and go to shelters, RV's or sleep in parks. There is a colony in a long narrow grassy strip bordering a rapid transit route, leading to an underground tunnel where trains disappear. The community, such as it is, has outdoor cooking facilities and even solar panels.

There is no simple answer, though jobs and housing are the solution. People blame cities, but I assume that the homeless would be scattered more evenly were there pedestrians to beg from in suburbs, so cites take many of the misfits or people down on their luck from other parts of the country, with I assume Califonia's weather being an attraction. But it's easy for the right to blame cities run by democrats and naturally, offer no solutions. Blame-game politics trump potential problem solving suggestions.

We can start by cutting the politicians greed motivated policies in those areas that inhibit growth in home and business construction. Construction is much less expensive in red states and cities that do not go off the rails with property taxes, the cost of building permits, regulations etc.
That's actually a good idea. In Sweden, my daughter hasn't noticed big price hikes for Stockholm (they don't allow price gouging) compared to smaller towns but they do have a long waiting list to get into housing there, so that's a side effect of that.

I know in some countries they've just accepted that a certain part of the population will have mental illness, or a myriad of reasons to be homeless and provide housing for this. If you look at statistics, there is no country that can avoid a certain part of it's population from being unable to provide themselves a living. So maybe we should just accept this and act accordingly.

Finland seems to have a good way to manage it.
Since 2007, their government has built homeless policies on the foundations of the "Housing First" principle.

Put simply, it gives rough sleepers or people who become homeless a stable and permanent home of their own as soon as possible.
It then provides them with the help and support they need. That may be supporting someone trying to tackle an addiction, assisting them to learn new skills, or helping them get into training, education or work.https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-46891392

Okay, I'll use the sarcastic but wise words of the late comic George Carlin: we don't have a homeless problem, we have a houseless problem.

And that is composed of several other problems including poverty, mental illness, substance abuse and the high cost of housing. There is not enough housing. Carlin suggested that there was plenty of land in cities and suburbs going to waste. They are called golf courses, huge tracts of land, mostly lying idle, used only when the weather is ok, usually by funny-dressed guys in groups of four who pass through every half hour or so. We could house plenty of people there. Here's my idea: put little houses in the rough, the areas between fairways.

Seriously, there are plenty of programs that work, some better than others. In California, we used to put the mentally ill in big institutions. The history is that they shut down during Reagan's time, with the promise of community based smaller programs, a promise unfulfilled. Many of the homeless in my area apparently work, with reports that they commute to weekday jobs, and go to shelters, RV's or sleep in parks. There is a colony in a long narrow grassy strip bordering a rapid transit route, leading to an underground tunnel where trains disappear. The community, such as it is, has outdoor cooking facilities and even solar panels.

There is no simple answer, though jobs and housing are the solution. People blame cities, but I assume that the homeless would be scattered more evenly were there pedestrians to beg from in suburbs, so cites take many of the misfits or people down on their luck from other parts of the country, with I assume Califonia's weather being an attraction. But it's easy for the right to blame cities run by democrats and naturally, offer no solutions. Blame-game politics trump potential problem solving suggestions.
If I could, I would "like" this post a thousand times. It is the best that I have read that comes close to addressing the homeless problem.

If I could, I would "like" this post a thousand times. It is the best that I have read that comes close to addressing the homeless problem.
Thanks.

That's actually a good idea. In Sweden, my daughter hasn't noticed big price hikes for Stockholm (they don't allow price gouging) compared to smaller towns but they do have a long waiting list to get into housing there, so that's a side effect of that.
There are laws against price gouging in most areas of the US, however those laws are intended to prevent shady businesses from taking advantage of a disaster, such as jacking up the price of goods in a convenience store 300% just after a destructive hurricane. Rent control measures in a capitalist society never work either. In the long run they just drive up the cost of renting homes.
I know in some countries they've just accepted that a certain part of the population will have mental illness, or a myriad of reasons to be homeless and provide housing for this. If you look at statistics, there is no country that can avoid a certain part of it's population from being unable to provide themselves a living. So maybe we should just accept this and act accordingly.
Agreed, however the majority of those living in tent cities are simply low income families who have been priced out of the rent market even in rent controlled areas. And if they cannot afford to rent a home, they certainly cannot afford to buy one.
Finland seems to have a good way to manage it.
Since 2007, their government has built homeless policies on the foundations of the "Housing First" principle.

Put simply, it gives rough sleepers or people who become homeless a stable and permanent home of their own as soon as possible.
It then provides them with the help and support they need. That may be supporting someone trying to tackle an addiction, assisting them to learn new skills, or helping them get into training, education or work.https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-46891392
Help for the mentally ill and drug addicted is available pretty much everywhere in the US, however you cannot force those individuals to take advantage of that help.

Appalachia is a good example of rural poverty.
I don't know why the focus is on Ca/inner cities and don't include those who camp out in trailers and RVs in some holler in i.e. KY? Just because they are spread out and don't live in a high concentration area doesn't mean they don't exist.
so this is once again a partisan ball without solutions.

Appalachia is a good example of rural poverty.
I don't know why the focus is on Ca/inner cities and don't include those who camp out in trailers and RVs in some holler in i.e. KY? Just because they are spread out and don't live in a high concentration area doesn't mean they don't exist.
so this is once again a partisan ball without solutions.
True, to a certain extent we are imprisoned, kept from finding solutions, by our political-social-religious culture. Whether one refers to it as the Protestant ethic, a Manichean view of the world, the legacy of racism, whatever -- I blame Martin Luther's overreaction to Catholicism's huge flaws of the time -- we seem to subscribe to a notion that the poor are guilty of something, and by extension those who advocate for them perhaps even more guilty. Whether it was the bumper sticker put out in response to LBJ's War on Poverty, "I Fight Poverty, I Work!", or Reagan's stories of welfare queens and strapping young bucks on public assistance, we have an appetite for skin deep analysis of complex problems. Some of us, left and right, seem more scandalized by the cheating and waste in programs that might support the poor than we do to absurd tax breaks for the rich or waste in the military. In my experience with those who worked with poor or discriminated against or otherwise marginalized, I met only one person who perhaps fit the conservative stereotype of a fuzzy thinking, bleeding heart liberal, and she was somewhat scorned by colleagues because of that. Most who work with the poor are ready to verbally kick ass, that is tell those they work with that the solution lies with them, only them, even as they acknowledge to one another or might write or testify that the odds are stacked against them. Conservatives at times seem unable to tolerate facing the contradiction between individual and social responsibility. Nothing new here. Just watch either version of West Side Story, and look to the tune "Dear Officer Krupke": are the poor psychologically disturbed by all the trauma in their lives, or deep down inside them are they just no good?

And the leftist in here cringe. Nobody even tries. LOL
Why would someone "try" with a Trumpist whose only contribution to DP is to make the fourth spam thread on each Fox-commanded topic of the day? The only part of this that could imaginably be called your contribution is when you say "lol look what Fox said."

We know where foxnews.com is if we want to find it.
LOL so you defend Maxine's uncaring attitude for the homeless by doing another TDS word salad. Keep being you. :ROFLMAO:

Ummm... ok?

Ummm... ok?
Yup, not a single word on your statement is about the homeless, instead you just deflect and defend Maxine. The truth comes out. :LOL:

That is a classic foot in mouth moment by an elected official.

Back
Top Bottom