• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mattress

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I need a new mattress. I have a queen size Queen Anne style four poster and want to know from anyone who has a memory foam bed OR one of those sleep number mattresses.

Which would be better for the kind of bed I have? I REALLY want the memory foam, but I'm not sure if it'd be too hot. I don't know why I imagine laying in a puddle of sweat, but maybe it's because of the "molds around your body" aspect of it.

The sleep number appeals to me because I have an old back injury and prefer firmer mattresses.

Suggestions?

Go to a showroom and lay back on them. I remember my hatchet woman and I did that on the memory foam on a whim when we were office furniture shopping and at first it was like what a fraud but then after like 10 seconds it was like angels were hugging me while reading my favorite bedtime story.

Go to a showroom and lay back on them. I remember my hatchet woman and I did that on the memory foam on a whim when we were office furniture shopping and at first it was like what a fraud but then after like 10 seconds it was like angels were hugging me while reading my favorite bedtime story.

I did that already...lol. I kinda want to know if they're worth the money and what's it like actually sleeping on it after a couple of months.

By the way...it's INSANE how much mattresses are. I'm still kinda in sticker shock. Last time I bought one was in '05.

I need a new mattress. I have a queen size Queen Anne style four poster and want to know from anyone who has a memory foam bed OR one of those sleep number mattresses.

Which would be better for the kind of bed I have? I REALLY want the memory foam, but I'm not sure if it'd be too hot. I don't know why I imagine laying in a puddle of sweat, but maybe it's because of the "molds around your body" aspect of it.

The sleep number appeals to me because I have an old back injury and prefer firmer mattresses.

Suggestions?

I spent more than 10 years in the furniture and bed business and my vote would be "neither". Viscoelastic foam is fun stuff to play with but it's heavy and it doesn't breathe well so if you're prone to perspire you'll likely do so more on one of those beds. The air bed stuff is, IMHO, more gimmick than anything else. Yeah, it's adjustable and it's fun to play with for the first week but after that it's just another bed that will last half the time of an innerspring. My recommendation is to just get a good, fairly firm plush top mattress and then "customize" it with different mattress pads. It'll last longer. Your sheets will fit. You can "fix" it for less than $100 bucks and if you're even half way diligent about rotating it you won't get those body mold impressions.

I can't heap enough praise on my sleep number...going on 7 years with it now.
we have a Serta Icomfort in our place in Vegas... also a great mattress ( memory foam, but it's not as warm as those original ones that i can't remember the name of )... I still like the sleep number better.

and yes, they are spendy... it's like someone inflated a mattress bubble or something, it's ridiculous.

I did that already...lol. I kinda want to know if they're worth the money and what's it like actually sleeping on it after a couple of months.

By the way...it's INSANE how much mattresses are. I'm still kinda in sticker shock. Last time I bought one was in '05.

Yep. Our Sealy mattress set cost as much as our entire bedroom suit (but we did get the latter 50% off).

No idea, but I'll happily help you test one out when you get it. :mrgreen:

I don't have one, but from what I have heard from others, they are worth their weight in gold. Not only are they extremely comfortable, if your partner is a toss n' turner, you won't feel the mattress jiggle.

Of the two I'd go with the sleep number. Memory foam is not so good for sex. Something they will fail to mention in the mattress store, but it's true. No rebound.

I don't have one, but from what I have heard from others, they are worth their weight in gold. Not only are they extremely comfortable, if your partner is a toss n' turner, you won't feel the mattress jiggle.

I'm more worried about my partner jiggling than the mattress.

Suggestions?

I've always heard good things about sleep number. Never heard a single bad thing other than price.

I have a memory foam and love it. It might be all marketing hype but it supposedly is special foam that keeps it cooler at night than other memory foams. All I know is that I get really hot at night and it's been better since switching from traditional to my current mattress.

Really, you get what you pay for, and for memory foam I've heard complaints about the really cheap ones, not so much with the nicer ones. When I have to replace this one it will probably be with sleep number. Simply because my wife and I both like our current mattress but I would have gotten it even firmer if it was up to just me and she would have gotten a little softer. But we both get a great nights sleep on it.

I don't have a partner. I get the whole bed to myself. :D

Reading through this makes me want my waterbed back.

Suggestions?

http://www.dormeo.com/?tn=medical

Dormeo mattress. You won't sweat more than you normally do.

Heya TGND.....
hat.gif
Both around where I am living are offering to let people take them home for like 6 months to try them out. Don't like em.....can return them.

I have been looking into getting one too. Same deal with back injuries. I am leaning more to the Sleep Number. Both are expensive but not as much if you already have a bedroom set made for them. Platform-styled, that is. ;)

DH has back trouble on occasion.
I have an inoperable spinal injury which is quite painful.
We have a sleep number spilt king adjustable bed and we love it.

edited to add: we just bought the sleep number bed a year ago but had an older model king size select comfort model before the sleep number came out that we used for 15 years.

We gave the old bed to my sister and she loves it.

Last edited:
I recommend a few weekend vacations. Book hotel rooms based on what kind of mattresses they have. At least one of the major chains has gone to sleep number beds exclusively. Don't know about memory foam but they will list it on their web sites. Hampton Inns changed up their beds a couple of years ago and went with really nice pillow tops. Nice beds.

I recommend a few weekend vacations. Book hotel rooms based on what kind of mattresses they have. At least one of the major chains has gone to sleep number beds exclusively. Don't know about memory foam but they will list it on their web sites. Hampton Inns changed up their beds a couple of years ago and went with really nice pillow tops. Nice beds.
Good idea.

I love the Westin heavenly beds and we have a king size low profile heavenly bed in our Florida vacation home that I love.

But DH likes the sleep number bed better because the mattress is split with each side adjustable and I don't wake him in the middle night when I get up.

The sticker price on a mattress is a starting point for negotiations.

Of course, if you walk in willing to pay what they ask they're certainly willing to take your money.

But if you approach it like you're shopping for a car you can easily negotiate them down by 20% or more.

<<<<< Taking down these names of Hotels as some are in Chicagoland areas.....to try uhm, and well you know erm, to test the bedding.
sex2.gif
:2razz:

We previously had a queen sized pillow top....would never buy one of those again. Pain in the neck to rotate the mattress.

We bought a Sealy Optimum a year ago. Memory foam, with the sort that's supposed to keep you cooler. I was hesitant to buy a memory foam because I get very hot at night and I had heard the same things about them trapping body heat. So far, so good. My back gets a little sore when the hubby starts hogging the bed and I'm half hanging off of the mattress :lol:, but otherwise it's helped with the other random pains I used to wake up with.

And I had also heard the bit about memory foam being bad for sex. Um....no issue with that here.

Suggestions?
I've had Sleep Number mattresses for the last 20 years and I wouldn't even consider anything else. They do the same thing as memory foam (or you can add a memory foam topper) and they weigh almost nothing so making the bed is easy, ot to mention that if you have to move, it can roll up and go in a station wagon. Even my guest bed is a twin Sleep Number and I can pout it together in 11 minutes on those rare occasions that I have an overnight visitor who can't appropriately share my bed.

I've had Sleep Number mattresses for the last 20 years and I wouldn't even consider anything else. They do the same thing as memory foam (or you can add a memory foam topper) and they weigh almost nothing so making the bed is easy, ot to mention that if you have to move, it can roll up and go in a station wagon. Even my guest bed is a twin Sleep Number and I can pout it together in 11 minutes on those rare occasions that I have an overnight visitor who can't appropriately share my bed.

Those are just toppers aren't they that rest on an existing mattress?

Those are just toppers aren't they that rest on an existing mattress?

I may be misunderstanding your question.

The sleep number is basically a high end air mattress. You can get them with different covers of varying thickness. Or you can buy a memory foam topper that just goes over the sleep number although I don't really think you need that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom