• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Matthew McConaughey (considering Tx Gov run) 'I'm Interested in Building Something That Can Last'

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
To say the least, a very popular McConaughey just might bring a can of whoop ass to that governor's election in Texas.

The actor, who previously said running for governor in Texas is "a true consideration," recently taped an appearance on The Carlos Watson Show and noted that entering the world of politics would definitely be "challenging."

"I'm not interested in going and putting a bunch of Band-Aids on that are going to be ripped off as soon as I'm out, I'm interested in building something that can last and I'm measuring what category that is, I don't know if that's politics," he said. "That whole embassy of politics has some redefining of its purpose."

"I trust my core beliefs enough, and my values enough, to feel comfortable listening to an opposing one," McConaughey said. "We try to teach our kids delayed gratification but we don't like to think about further than tomorrow, we need immediate results."

I don't know "f-all" about his positions.
But I am not enamored of celebrity politicians, and I don't care which part of the political spectrum they call home either.
Celebrities are celebrities, they live like celebrities, think like celebrities and they behave like celebrities.
Yes of course there are exceptions but I'm still sticking to my "NO MORE CELEBS IN POLITIX" rules.

To say the least, a very popular McConaughey just might bring a can of whoop ass to that governor's election in Texas.

The actor, who previously said running for governor in Texas is "a true consideration," recently taped an appearance on The Carlos Watson Show and noted that entering the world of politics would definitely be "challenging."

"I'm not interested in going and putting a bunch of Band-Aids on that are going to be ripped off as soon as I'm out, I'm interested in building something that can last and I'm measuring what category that is, I don't know if that's politics," he said. "That whole embassy of politics has some redefining of its purpose."

"I trust my core beliefs enough, and my values enough, to feel comfortable listening to an opposing one," McConaughey said. "We try to teach our kids delayed gratification but we don't like to think about further than tomorrow, we need immediate results."
I think Texans are going to send him home, crying to Momma.

Dont know much about him, but from what he said right there I dont think he's near dumb enough to be Gov of Texas.

🤷‍♂️ 🤔

Dont know much about him, but from what he said right there I dont think he's near dumb enough to be Gov of Texas.

🤷‍♂️ 🤔

I say good luck to him. But he should be aware that this could end his acting career. Hollywood film tycoons generally eschew conservative types.

Reactions: AJG
I say good luck to him. But he should be aware that this could end his acting career. Hollywood film tycoons generally eschew conservative types.
Net worth of 140 million and a legacy as as pretty good actor.

I don't think he cares

I know of actors turned politicians, but I'm wondering if there are any politicians turned actors, or former actors that returned to acting after their political careers? At the top of my head I suppose Arnold has been in a few roles since being the governator.

I know of actors turned politicians, but I'm wondering if there are any politicians turned actors, or former actors that returned to acting after their political careers? At the top of my head I suppose Arnold has been in a few roles since being the governator.

Arnold was an entertainer long before he was the Governator. I'm trying think a politician first who became actor later but I can't. There's a saying politics is show business for the ugly that's probably why.

Reactions: AJG
I think Texans are going to send him home, crying to Momma.
Texas is his home but who cares we can send him back with the rest of the dems who are from america.

Texas is his home but who cares we can send him back with the rest of the dems who are from america.
I didn't say "Send him out of Texas". I said "Send him home". If his home is in Texas, cool.

Of course, you'll do anything to avoid my point, won't you?

You are dismissed.

I didn't say "Send him out of Texas". I said "Send him home". If his home is in Texas, cool.

You are dismissed.
Thank you, I'm honored.

You are dismissed.
I didn't know there was a point to your post? I thought you were voicing your opinion.

His views on guns prevent him from becoming a real candidate.

Even being a poll that most don't take much stock in, this still surprises me - almost 6 months after this thread began.

Matthew McConaghey’s chances of becoming Texas governor are looking alright, alright, alright according to a shocking new major poll.

According to a survey released by the University of Texas and the Dallas Morning News, the actor — in a hypothetical head-to-head matchup — tops current Gov. Greg Abbott (R) by 8 points. In all, 43 percent of respondents say they would back McConaughey, 35 percent would support Abbott, and 22 percent would pick someone else.

Even being a poll that most don't take much stock in, this still surprises me - almost 6 months after this thread began.

Matthew McConaghey’s chances of becoming Texas governor are looking alright, alright, alright according to a shocking new major poll.

According to a survey released by the University of Texas and the Dallas Morning News, the actor — in a hypothetical head-to-head matchup — tops current Gov. Greg Abbott (R) by 8 points. In all, 43 percent of respondents say they would back McConaughey, 35 percent would support Abbott, and 22 percent would pick someone else.

As much as I hate celebrities in politics, I wouldn't mind if McConaghey beat Abbott.....

Republicans seem to like politicians from the entertainment industry, Reagan and Trump come to mind.

Both started a Revolution in the party. But only 1 invited an insurrection.

Does the man even have a career in Hollywood now?

He is not as prolific in films as he once was. Maybe he needs a new acting job, like Governor of Texas.

Republicans seem to like politicians from the entertainment industry, Reagan and Trump come to mind.
One was a tv reality asshole usually of the worst kind. Check!
Both started a Revolution in the party. But only 1 invited an insurrection.
One romances being King that rapes our Constitution. A 2nd term would return us to no return.

McConaughey appears to have a bit of an inflated ego himself, but smart never-the-less. Since it's a Cruzy Texas now stuck with squirrelly Abbott, it should be a step up in the right direction if McConaughey were to pull this off. imo

One was a tv reality asshole usually of the worst kind. Check!

One romances being King that rapes our Constitution. A 2nd term would return us to no return.

McConaughey appears to have a bit of an inflated ego himself, but smart never-the-less. Since it's a Cruzy Texas now stuck with squirrelly Abbott, it should be a step up in the right direction if McConaughey were to pull this off. imo

Trump is dangerous to our Constitution

Until the GOP rid that cancer i will not vote Republican, not even in local elections

Damn cult

Net worth of 140 million and a legacy as as pretty good actor.

I don't think he cares
My guess is he wants to hold on to his millions. He's not going to run. Read it yesterday

Back
Top Bottom