• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Matt Lauer skeptical...

VTA

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
In the face of a soldiers commitment.:roll:

From a larger Article

"After getting two responses to the effect that morale was good, Lauer had this to say:

"Don't get me wrong, I think you're probably telling the truth, but there might be a lot of people at home wondering how that could be possible with the conditions you're facing and with the insurgent attacks you're facing. "

If Lauer was the advocate for the anti-war case, he then made the cardinal mistake that no advocate should make: asking a question to which you don't know the answer.

Asked Lauer: "What would you say to those people who are doubtful that morale could be that high?"

Captain Sherman Powell nailed Lauer, the MSM and the anti-war crowd with this beauty:

"Well sir, I'd tell you, if I got my news from the newspapers also I'd be pretty depressed as well!"

I guess folks raising objections to the war hasn't had the impact that some Chicken-Little types in the blogosphere have predicted.

Apparently, I was right.
Our military personell are made of sterner stuff than so many pro-war folks have contended. I really couldn't by the idea that people opposed to the war somehow demoralized our troops

Last edited:
It's not unreasonable for him to ask or even wonder especially considering his profession. I think that Captain got it right as well, but you also have to guess at where this came from. The today show really isn't news anymore. It is really quite sad. They are focused on fashion and well, whatever is Katie's mind. It has turned to mush...watch abc for actual news in the morning if you don't have cable, not the Today show.

Simon W. Moon said:
I guess folks raising objections to the war hasn't had the impact that some Chicken-Little types in the blogosphere have predicted.

Apparently, I was right.
Our military personell are made of sterner stuff than so many pro-war folks have contended. I really couldn't by the idea that people opposed to the war somehow demoralized our troops

Our military might have the fortitude for it, it's our politicians that are the concern. Based on one-sided reporting in the media, that appears to coincide with what detractors of the war are saying, most notably politicians like Kennedy and Kerry, etc, popular opinion, or what passes for popular opinion, might sway the course an administration might take.

Admittedly, this administration doesn't budge and has stuck with the plan...

Guess as to which part? It came from the link above...
True there is nothing wrong with Lauer asking, I just find the probably a pretty silly thing to say... I didn't see it on the today show, follow the link above.

VTA said:
Our military might have the fortitude for it, it's our politicians that are the concern. Based on one-sided reporting in the media, that appears to coincide with what detractors of the war are saying, most notably politicians like Kennedy and Kerry, etc, popular opinion, or what passes for popular opinion, might sway the course an administration might take.

Admittedly, this administration doesn't budge and has stuck with the plan...

Guess as to which part? It came from the link above...
True there is nothing wrong with Lauer asking, I just find the probably a pretty silly thing to say... I didn't see it on the today show, follow the link above.

And thus; my sig...

Back
Top Bottom