• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Matt Gaetz's solution to insulin price gouging: 'Get off the couch, fatty. Or die'.

Red states have the highest rates of diabetes. They also tend to rate high on the obesity scale as well. They will continue to vote republican anyway who constantly shit on them. So here you have republicans shitting on their base yet again

Type 2 diabetes does not usually require insulin. That's type 1 diabetes. I have had type 2 and never been prescribed insulin. And I am not overweight. It's hereditary according to my doctor.
Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn’t. Just like type 1. And more importantly that was why I specifically said I was talking about type 2.

And type two is way more common then type one. Which actually plays more into what gaetz said.

Red states have the highest rates of diabetes. They also tend to rate high on the obesity scale as well. They will continue to vote republican anyway who constantly shit on them. So here you have republicans shitting on their base yet again

Yes we know you see everything through a partisan lens. You don’t need to keep proving that.

He actually is right in the aspect that the majority of diabetes cases are caused by being overweight and inactive.
The trouble is the Chinese have a diabetes epidemic with far less obesity than here in the U.S., and many suffering aren't obese/overweight.

What's more likely is that being overweight and diabetes share the same metabolic problem, which is insulin resistance. Raise insulin and keep it high and you'll very likely gain weight. Insulin stays high when the body cannot clear glucose with what's produced by the body and more insulin (injections) is needed. And insulin tells your body to store fat, and impedes burning fat. Put an already overweight person on insulin, and the typical patient will in the vast majority of cases gain more weight, despite efforts to avoid that. Lower insulin, and weight loss gets easier.

Anyway, the cause of the worldwide diabetes epidemic is very likely the cause of the worldwide obesity epidemic, that's in dispute at the top levels of academia, government and medicine, and what's needed is for the country to spend the research dollars necessary to figure out who is right. The keto/low carb community have an idea, and the NIH/Harvard guys peddling the same advice they've peddled for decades with disastrous results have another, and the 'victims' are those suffering with no clear direction out of their problems. What we all KNOW fails is telling a fat person - get off your ass, eat less and lose weight. That fails nearly 100 times out of 100, quite literally. If you don't provide them with actual tools to manage hunger, sleep, stress, diet, etc. (and all those are huge contributors to obesity) then it's like telling a cancer patient to just get over it.

Medicine is the answer for some things and not for others. And for diabetes the majority of cases would have been prevented with losing weight and staying active.
Not sure why you struggle with that concept
OK, and how does a person do that? You can't blame it on sloth and gluttony, because the problem is too big, worldwide, and the VAST majority of attempts to lose weight, or not gain it, fail. No one wants to be obese and every obese patient tries many times and fails to lose the weight and keep it off, and it's not just here in the U.S. but the western world.

So until you can explain what changed about 50 years ago, when we all just went about our day, never worried about calories or fat, and did NOT get obese, to today when 40% of the adults in my area are obese, then saying what you did is true but meaningless, because it doesn't help avoid obesity or solve it for the 40% in this country suffering from it.

And staying active is not the solution. People in every walk of life including blue collar workers, nurses, doctors, clerks on their feet 8 hour shifts per day, etc. are obese. Also, comparing 'activity' levels doesn't explain obesity. 50 years ago who heard of going to a gym? Weight lifters etc. and that's about it. Now there are workout facilities on every corner and it doesn't dent the problem - it gets worse every year. A massive fitness industry emerged since the 1960s and obesity increases every year. Exercise is awesome for lots of reasons, just not for losing weight or controlling diabetes. It helps there, but on the margins, which means if you don't solve the other problems, our diets, exercise will prove futile long term. The issue is what about our diet explains the problem.

Yes which of you notice that is why I said type two. Reading is fundamental.

And notice where in my very first post in this thread where I said I don’t agree with voting against this bill. Again another place that reading would have helped you out.

You are right we can’t and shouldn’t control what people eat. We also shouldn’t be forcing other people to pay for the bad decisions of others. If someone wants to be a lazy fat ass who eats junk food all day I am fine with that. Just don’t ask me to pay more taxes because you are a slob and now your health has gone to crap.
OK, if you want people cut off from drugs unless they lose weight, then you should be able to tell them how it's done, and point to evidence it works. You cannot do that.

And if you really think half the country are "slobs" then is that true everywhere there is an obesity and diabetes epidemic that just happens to follow the 'western' diet, which is roughly the entire western world? Why did half this country and others suddenly become "slobs?"

OK, and how does a person do that? You can't blame it on sloth and gluttony, because the problem is too big, worldwide, and the VAST majority of attempts to lose weight, or not gain it, fail. No one wants to be obese and every obese patient tries many times and fails to lose the weight and keep it off, and it's not just here in the U.S. but the western world.

So until you can explain what changed about 50 years ago, when we all just went about our day, never worried about calories or fat, and did NOT get obese, to today when 40% of the adults in my area are obese, then saying what you did is true but meaningless, because it doesn't help avoid obesity or solve it for the 40% in this country suffering from it.

And staying active is not the solution. People in every walk of life including blue collar workers, nurses, doctors, clerks on their feet 8 hour shifts per day, etc. are obese. Also, comparing 'activity' levels doesn't explain obesity. 50 years ago who heard of going to a gym? Weight lifters etc. and that's about it. Now there are workout facilities on every corner and it doesn't dent the problem - it gets worse every year. A massive fitness industry emerged since the 1960s and obesity increases every year. Exercise is awesome for lots of reasons, just not for losing weight or controlling diabetes. It helps there, but on the margins, which means if you don't solve the other problems, our diets, exercise will prove futile long term. The issue is what about our diet explains the problem.
Pretending that losing weight or even better not getting obese is not doable is just ridiculous. Outside of people with rare medical issues it simply takes self discipline and motivation with basic education thrown in.
The vast majority of people whose diets fail are because it was either a ridiculous diet that was not sustainable or they simply quit. You making excuses for them doesn’t help.

What changed was several things. One the type and quantity of food we choose to eat and the sedimentary life to many Americans life. Look at the portion sizes that were standard 50 years ago and look at them now.

Staying active is the solution. Maybe go talk to a health professional some time. And people didn’t need to go to the gym or workout as much back then because as a whole we were doing much more physically demanding work.
And the majority of fitness equipment people buy gets used for a little while and then it collects dust. Same goes for gym memberships. And it is virtually impossible to out train a bad diet. As long as you are eating like crap and over eating you will not be losing weight.

There are virtually no medical professionals that will agree with your claims. Tell me why do you think that is.
You seem to be desperate to make excuses for people’s life choices. Tell me is this something you struggle with.

While I don’t agree with him voting against this bill, though I don’t know the details and what all is actually in the bill, he is right in that the majority of type 2 diabetes is cause be people being overweight and inactive
If Democrats pushed for exercise and healthy eating programs Republicans would accuse them of trying to establish a communist dictatorship. And I know this because that's been the right wing response to every health program ever.

OK, if you want people cut off from drugs unless they lose weight, then you should be able to tell them how it's done, and point to evidence it works. You cannot do that.

And if you really think half the country are "slobs" then is that true everywhere there is an obesity and diabetes epidemic that just happens to follow the 'western' diet, which is roughly the entire western world? Why did half this country and others suddenly become "slobs?"
There are virtually unlimited professional resources that can tell you how to lose weight. It doesn’t happen quick or easy and it doesn’t happen from taking some pills. Which is why most Americans fail at it.

And sorry if that label offends you but it is what it is.

And I never said to cut anyone off from drugs. I said don’t ask others to pay for your crappy life choices.

If Democrats pushed for exercise and healthy eating programs Republicans would accuse them of trying to establish a communist dictatorship.
And I would call them idiots. What’s your point.

And I would call them idiots. What’s your point.
It means that if Democrats propose it, Republicans oppose it. The right wing emphasis on healthy living as an alternative to needed medicine is a bad faith argument.

It means that if Democrats propose it, Republicans oppose it. The right wing emphasis on healthy living as an alternative to needed medicine is a bad faith argument.
Just as many times if republicans propose something then democrats will oppose it.

A perfect example would be all the democrats who were for border security and a border wall right up until republicans wanted to actually do it. Then walls were racist.

Type 2 diabetes does not usually require insulin. That's type 1 diabetes. I have had type 2 and never been prescribed insulin. And I am not overweight. It's hereditary according to my doctor.
I have type 2, there is diabetes in my family. I take one pill a day, that usually controls it. Sometimes I take more, or go out and exercise a bit and that helps.

You do realize that Obamacare is paid for by taxes correct. Where do you think that money comes from. Please tell you are not this uninformed.

And I fully support government funding some level of universal healthcare but people who choose to do the things that’s really virtually guaranteed to rise their health costs like being obese or smoking should pay for those own increases.

Please quote me saying I have a problem paying for children or the disabled. That or stop lying and claiming I said things I didn’t.

It’s funny you trying to explain to me that there are two types of diabetes long after I mentioned that I was talking about type two. You are not saying anything that isn’t already known.

And I feel the exact same way about people who cause their heart problems or any of the other issues caused by horrible life choices. Not sure why you think I would think differently as there is nothing in my posts that suggests that. You do seem to be making it a habit to put words in my mouth that I didn’t say. Not very honest.

Yep many republicans did attack over her worthwhile efforts to get kids to eat better. Partisan idiots doing stupid things isn’t surprising. Doesn’t matter if they are left or right wing.

And I hate to tell you this but I am not responsible for what some republicans do.

"Obamacare"? No, it isn't paid for by taxes. You have to buy into it.

My husband and I have private insurance through my employer. How much of your taxes are paying for his insulin?

Just as many times if republicans propose something then democrats will oppose it.

A perfect example would be all the democrats who were for border security and a border wall right up until republicans wanted to actually do it. Then walls were racist.
The difference is that if Democrats oppose something, it's because it's bad or stupid, whereas if Republicans oppose it, it's because Democrats proposed it.

Type 2 Diabetes is caused when your pancreas is over worked because the fat in your body is not allowing the glucose to go where it needs to go. The excess glucose in your bloodstream causes the pancreas to be over worked and break down.

Obese people are six times more likely to develop diabetes.

I know what causes it. I posted it in that quote of mine you quoted.

Yes, obese people are more likely to develop it.

When your mother was heavy, did you want a politician like Matt Gaetz telling her she was too fat and she should lose weight or die?

Oh look. Who would have expected such a dishonest post from you. I am shocked I tell you.

It must be a day that ends in Y

Which part of my post was dishonest? The part about me being 100 pounds when I got pregnant (I'm 5'8")?

"Slobs".

I wonder if he has the balls to call someone he knows with Type 2 who is overweight a "slob" to that person's face?

Karma is gonna really bitch slap that pedophile.
I so hope you're right beefheart, but I'm starting to think there will never be charges brought. WTF is taking so long.

Typical of Republicans. You are completely responsible for your lot in life. Root hog or die.

I got mine. Screw you!

Kind of sad really

No I don’t think the government should make people lose weight. I also don’t believe that the government should force other citizens to cover the cost of the bad decisions that those people make when they decide not to lose weight. With freedom comes responsibility.

But please go ahead and keep arguing against something I never said. It is a rather humorous debate tactic for those who have nothing else.

And it’s funny that you are complaining about the right wanting to give the government control over people while wanting the government to control what other people can charge for the fruits of their labor.
Who said other Americans would pay for it?

It's call negotiating with drug companies, like other countries do. You seem to want America to be the doormat to drug companies corporate expense. They over charge Americans, not because we're fat, but because they can.

This would come as a welcome relief to Americans who pay more per capita for prescription drugs than our wealthy global peers. Yet many believe the Republican-controlled Senate is likely to bury the bill. Once again, lobbyists for the pharmaceutical industry are committed to blocking the way, arguing that prices must be kept high in order for firms to invest in new drugs through big research and development programs.

Pharmaceutical companies, economist William Lazonick and his colleagues show, have increasingly focused on manipulating their stock prices over the last few decades in order to line the pockets of executives, hedge-fund managers and bankers. The researchers reveal that some of the biggest drug companies often take on debt to distribute well in excess of 100 percent of profits to shareholders in the form of stock buybacks and cash dividends.

Instead, the Republicans will push, "get off your fat ass" as a great way to lower drug prices in America. Give me a break!

Here's your right-wing 'for the little guy' populist fighting against Big Pharma. By the way, if you don't have insulin, you generally die. Anyone votes for these monsters is a monster.

Just another comment to prove what a ****en and over-privileged idiot he is. Husband has diabetes and has never been 1 lb overweight in his entire life and how about innocent children who develop type1 diabetes due to an autoimmune deficiency and/or genetics ? I hate when people try to paint others with such a broad brush

You really seem to be making a habit of making up arguments for other people. Do you think that is going to work for you. Or an honest way to discuss something.
So asking questions is now making up arguments? LMAO, not a great diversion. Try again.

If Democrats pushed for exercise and healthy eating programs Republicans would accuse them of trying to establish a communist dictatorship. And I know this because that's been the right wing response to every health program ever.
they did that, when Michelle Obama's school lunch program to serve healthy foods, they bitched and whine. They are such terrorists

"Obamacare"? No, it isn't paid for by taxes. You have to buy into it.

My husband and I have private insurance through my employer. How much of your taxes are paying for his insulin?
Lol. You may want to do a bit of research before talking about things you are clueless on.
Tell me if Obamacare isn’t funded by taxpayers then why exactly is it estimated to cost the government 1.2 trillion dollars by 2025

Zero. Which is why I never said anything about private insurance.

Do you ever get tired of failing so hard.

Back
Top Bottom