• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Math Question

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Can anyone help with this? I'm trying to find an easier way to dose medicine than counting on my fingers. Ha!

Every morning I have to start 4 daily doses of eye drops. I may start at different times every morning because of when mom wakes up. So I know the start time and end time. Like today it's 9 AM first doseage. Last dosage at 11 PM. (Because that's what time I make her go to bed.)

Is there a formula then for figuring out how to evenly space the other 2 dosages?

I hope this makes sense. (Like, tomorrow might be 8:30 first; 11:00 last.

4+ hour intervals
assuming 9am-11pm span
13 hours to be spanned with three periods between the four doses
13/3=4+ hours between each administration of the doseage
roughly
9am
1:30pm
5:30pm
10pm

so, about four to five hours between each application should work for the both of you

Use military time and it will be a piece of cake.

The number of hours between the time she wakes up and 11 pm/3 should give you a number since there are 3 intervals during the day between the drops maybe

Do you have a smartphone with a stopwatch app?

First off you have to start using the other measuring time.
1, 2, 3 .... 12, 13 (being 1pm), 14, 15, 16, 17... 23 (being 11pm) and 0 or 24 being midnight.

So you know your closing time, 11pm (23:00), and you have a variable X(h:min) waking up time.

(23:00 - X(h:min) )/4 = the interval of time.

I think she is looking for a formula regardless of when mom gets up. Since mom gets one then and one at 11, the day is divided among the periods Drop 1 to drop 2, Drop 2 to drop 3 and drop 3 to 11pm which is why I think the number of hours she will be awake that day divided by 3 will give her the times, if I understand what she is asking correctly.

That said, when I had to do that, I would just do it on a 24 hour day and wake them up at the correct time, dose them, and let them go back to sleep.

Can anyone help with this? I'm trying to find an easier way to dose medicine than counting on my fingers. Ha!

Every morning I have to start 4 daily doses of eye drops. I may start at different times every morning because of when mom wakes up. So I know the start time and end time. Like today it's 9 AM first doseage. Last dosage at 11 PM. (Because that's what time I make her go to bed.)

Is there a formula then for figuring out how to evenly space the other 2 dosages?

9:00, (+4) 13:00, (+4) 17:00 and (+4) 21:00. That is as simple as I can make it, set an alarm for 4 hours later if you must. ;)

EDIT: Breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime may be even easier if the spacing is not that critical.

Do you have a smartphone with a stopwatch app?

I fried my smartphone and am back to a dumb one. BUT I do set the alarm for her various meds. THAT works GR8T!!

I think she is looking for a formula regardless of when mom gets up. Since mom gets one then and one at 11, the day is divided among the periods Drop 1 to drop 2, Drop 2 to drop 3 and drop 3 to 11pm which is why I think the number of hours she will be awake that day divided by 3 will give her the times, if I understand what she is asking correctly.

Thanks, Fisher. You got it. That's the easiest way, I think. !!! Woot!!!

Thanks to all!!!!

Four hours apart. First dose at 8am, Noon, 4pm, 8pm.

First off you have to start using the other measuring time.
1, 2, 3 .... 12, 13 (being 1pm), 14, 15, 16, 17... 23 (being 11pm) and 0 or 24 being midnight.

So you know your closing time, 11pm (23:00), and you have a variable X(h:min) waking up time.

(23:00 - X(h:min) )/4 = the interval of time.

Right. Except it's divided by 3 instead of 4 because you have one set time.

- Mom gets up at 8am.
- 23-8=15
- 15/3=5
- Drops go in at 0800, 1300, 1800 and 2300

Where I work, 4 x daily are given at 0900, 1300, 1700, 2100.

Right. Except it's divided by 3 instead of 4 because you have one set time.

- Mom gets up at 8am.
- 23-8=15
- 15/3=5
- Drops go in at 0800, 1300, 1800 and 2300

Right. :)

Where I work, 4 x daily are given at 0900, 1300, 1700, 2100.

That's what I was doing. Lol

We have Med pass at particular times, and I just went off the standard four times daily schedule.

That's what I was doing. Lol

We have Med pass at particular times, and I just went off the standard four times daily schedule.

Yeah, that's a standard in many hospitals. If it's ordered every 6 hours, though, the scheduled times are 06-12-18-00

All these math experts... Anyone want to do my taxes real quick?

Sorry Maggs. Had knee surgery and still on the Opiates. Can't think well enough to do math, although you've gotten a huge amount of help. Guess you can't "count" on me for this one.

All these math experts... Anyone want to do my taxes real quick?

Sorry Maggs. Had knee surgery and still on the Opiates. Can't think well enough to do math, although you've gotten a huge amount of help. Guess you can't "count" on me for this one.

Those are easy: Subtract from what you made during the year the amount they have already taken during the year, and mail Obama a check for the difference between the two. :mrgreen:

Don't worry about it too much, Maggie. With eye drops, it's not critical. Just try to space it out as evenly as you can while she is awake. If it were an antibiotic, I'd say timing is a little more important, because you want to maintain a relatively steady level in the body.

Don't worry about it too much, Maggie. With eye drops, it's not critical. Just try to space it out as evenly as you can while she is awake. If it were an antibiotic, I'd say timing is a little more important, because you want to maintain a relatively steady level in the body.

Actually, they are. One's an antibiotic and the other (2X a day, so no problem) is a steroid. She has a herpes infection in her EYE, of all things. Doctor said it's related to chicken pox and sometimes shows up in strange ways when the immune system is compromised. *shrug*

What's next? Plague of locusts. Ha!!

I had a relative who got a massive infection following cataract surgery. They had more different eye drops than I thought possible and they were all on different schedules. For some reason, it is easier with pills to keep it all straight than with eye drops, but fortunately there was only one that had to be done precisely according to schedule. It is shocking also how expensive some of them were.

Actually, they are. One's an antibiotic and the other (2X a day, so no problem) is a steroid. She has a herpes infection in her EYE, of all things. Doctor said it's related to chicken pox and sometimes shows up in strange ways when the immune system is compromised. *shrug*

What's next? Plague of locusts. Ha!!

lol at the plague :lol:

If it's antibiotic drops, I would try to space them out some. I am assuming they are prescribed for a limited time. I thought you were referring to lubricating drops or something that timing wasn't a real concern.

I had a relative who got a massive infection following cataract surgery. They had more different eye drops than I thought possible and they were all on different schedules. For some reason, it is easier with pills to keep it all straight than with eye drops, but fortunately there was only one that had to be done precisely according to schedule. It is shocking also how expensive some of them were.

Yes it is shocking. I suspect the reason for that is because there is a relatively small market for eye drops, as compared to oral medications, many of which are taken long term.

Back
Top Bottom