• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette on a glitzy Spanish vacation

Quote(Sacrifice is something that many Americans are becoming all too familiar with during this economic downturn. It was a key theme in President Obama's inaugural address to the nation, and he's referenced it numerous times when lecturing the country on how to get back on its feet.

But while most of the country is pinching pennies and downsizing summer sojourns - or forgoing them altogether - the Obamas don't seem to be heeding their own advice. While many of us are struggling, the First Lady is spending the next few days in a five-star hotel on the chic Costa del Sol in southern Spain with 40 of her "closest friends." According to CNN, the group is expected to occupy 60 to 70 rooms, more than a third of the lodgings at the 160-room resort. Not exactly what one would call cutting back in troubled times.)

Although I am by no means what might be called an 'Obama fan", even Obama fans must see the incredible differences, between what Obama calls for the rest of America, compared to how his wife spends and spends and spends US Taxpayer funds on her own hedonistic pleasures.

I sincerely hope the FLOTUS has a great trip in Spain. She promotes positive living and the American dream of prosperity. (text ripped from the poll) :mrgreen:

You can't blame the Obama's for living it up. They know this is their only term and they need to make the best of it.

You can't blame the Obama's for living it up. They know this is their only term and they need to make the best of it.
Don't put any serious money on it, you'll likely lose your shirt. :2razz:

I sincerely hope the FLOTUS has a great trip in Spain. She promotes positive living and the American dream of prosperity. (text ripped from the poll) :mrgreen:

Yea, there is nothing like a fat chick telling everyone how to eat healthy. That would be like a smoker running health care. Also, the American dream has nothing to do with government dependence.

It's unfortunate that this has happened, however similar pieces accusing Bush and family of doing similar stuff (think anytime Michael Moore bitched about Bush) were later proved to be very different than what they appeared. Typically trips like this there is something to politically gain or business is still being conducted although we can't honestly say here I guess.

Um... aren't you the same people who usually defend the rich from "unfair taxation" and the like? Why do you suddenly care what the Obama family does with their personal money?

Um... aren't you the same people who usually defend the rich from "unfair taxation" and the like? Why do you suddenly care what the Obama family does with their personal money?

Umm using Airforce Two def is not personal money man. That's my money, however as I said before, similar gaffes have happened in the past with presidents and family, just right now people are far more touchy about it and rightfully so.

Transporting and housing the estimated 70 Secret Service agents who will flank the material girl will cost the taxpayers a pretty penny.

. Method of transportation? Air Force Two.

Aparrently this poster missed this, in a failed attempt at a strawman. :shrug:

Perhaps it could be that the Obamas, who seem to fancy themselves more along the lines of international celebrities than actual leaders, espouse a different view of sacrifice. When Michelle Obama accompanied her husband to Copenhagen along with best buddy Oprah Winfrey, she billed the trip - an ultimately unsuccessful bid to bring the Olympics to Chicago - as follows: "As much of a sacrifice as people say this is for me or Oprah or the President to come for these few days, so many of you in this room have been working for years to bring this bid home."

A quick jaunt to Denmark is a sacrifice? What portraits in courage!
She didn't say that it was a huge sacrifice for her, but that other people were saying it was, and she also was simply pointing the work that others had put into it. She was acknowledging the hard work of others and the dumb**** that wrote this trash spun it like a record.

The Obama modus operandi is becoming clear.
Are you sure it's the Obama's MO thats becoming clear and not the author's?
From lavish trips to Spain to reportedly flying Bo, the President's Portuguese water dog, on a separate aircraft to vacation with them in Maine, to a date night in New York City that perhaps cost nearly $100,000, their idea of austerity is really just the lap of luxury, at least for ordinary folks.

Read more: Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette on a glitzy Spanish vacation
PolitiFact | Bloggers claim Bo flies in his own plane
Damn, and she even opted to throw in the old stupid lie about getting a separate plane for Bo to follow them on vacation. This article would be best used as toilet paper.

rev, were you bothered when laura bush took trips? i'm betting not.

Please. You are the last person to ask a question like this, you avoid them like the plague. :lol:

I am against all idiotic spending. no matter who the politician is.

Please. You are the last person to ask a question like this, you avoid them like the plague. :lol:

I am against all idiotic spending. no matter who the politician is.

what does that mean, i avoid them? i find most of them to be silly and not worth responding to. if we posted about every pol's idiotic spending the forum would crash.

what does that mean, i avoid them? i find most of them to be silly and not worth responding to. if we posted about every pol's idiotic spending the forum would crash.

nah, I have asked you several times in response to posts you make where you were the last 8 years and you never answer. I thought it kinda funny you would ask me a question like that. ;)

nah, I have asked you several times in response to posts you make where you were the last 8 years and you never answer. I thought it kinda funny you would ask me a question like that. ;)

i wasn't bitching about laura bush.

i was bitching about war.

Not going to go off on a rant about The Obama family.

What I will say is that government vehicles and staff should not be supplied to cover the private shindigs of political leaders.

They aren't entitled to that kind of sweetness from us.
It creates the appearance of royalty.

Obama family dog Bo flies on his own private jet

capt.63647b299c4c41b7bb40e2f53ecc133d-63647b299c4c41b7bb40e2f53ecc133d-0.jpg

"we all must make sacrifices"....

Last edited:
Normally I wouldn't give a ****. I really don't care what rich people do - if I was rich I'd be doing the same thing.

But the Air Force One and Secret Service lodgings tick me off. And this isn't the first time they've squandered our tax dollars while proclaiming that "we need to raise taxes to cover government deficit spending"

If it was 100% their own hard earned money I wouldn't give a damn. . . but it's not.

From your article
What should be noted is the first family had to fly in a smaller Gulfstream GIII/G3 jet, which seats up to 19. The jet most recognize for “Air Force One” was too large to land at the small Hancock County-Bar Harbor Airport in Trenton, Maine.

With all the buzz surrounding the article the Morning Sentinel was required to write a clarification statement to point out that the jet carrying the Obama pet was also full of other staff members.

Since the president is always accompanied by staff and Secret Service agents, one aircraft would not be enough. Therefore, the fact that the first dog arrived in a separate aircraft with other staffers is really no big deal.

What you fail to grasp is the imagery of opulence and extravagance compared to the lecturing of sacrifice by this crowd that looks bad. :shrug:

The "imagery of opulence" of a story about how they flew their dog in his own jet when in reality he was just flying in a jet full of staffers?

I'm sure it looks bad. Bull**** stories usually do look bad.

The "imagery of opulence" of a story about how they flew their dog in his own jet when in reality he was just flying in a jet full of staffers?

I'm sure it looks bad. Bull**** stories usually do look bad.

you are so correct, the emperor's new clothes are of the finest threads. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom