• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Massive Starfish Die-Off Is Tied To Global Warming

Threegoofs

In mourning for Turtledude
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Massive Starfish Die-Off Is Tied To Global Warming : NPR

Massive Starfish Die-Off Is Tied To Global Warming

January 30, 2019
REBECCA HERSHER

The skin lesions are the first sign that something is wrong. Then limbs fall off and the body disintegrates, collapsing in on itself as it liquefies. In the end, what was once a sea star is only a puddle on the ocean floor.

Since 2013, sea star wasting disease has killed so many starfish along the Pacific Coast that scientists say it's the largest disease epidemic ever observed in wild marine animals. Where there used to be dozens of stars, scuba divers now report seeing none.

And while the epidemic itself is a naturally occurring (if particularly devastating) phenomenon, newly published research suggests that climate change may have exacerbated the disease's deadliness.

"What we think is that the warm water anomalies made these starfish more susceptible to the disease that was already out there," says Joe Gaydos, the science director at the University of California, Davis' SeaDoc Society and one author of a study out today in the journal Science Advances.

Just another example of the far reaching effects of climate change.

The sea stars eat the urchins, which eat the kelp, which provide food and shelter for a lot of diversity in the ocean.

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
FAKE NEWS! - The White House. Trump is an expert on starfish.

ecofarm

global liberation
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

The sea stars eat the urchins, which eat the kelp, which provide food and shelter for a lot of diversity in the ocean.

The kelp is an estuary and as such carryies impact all the way up the food chain. There was a problem with an Orca population years ago, turns out it was a starfish and urchin problem (in a kelp estuary) and not an Orca problem.

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[h=1]Press Release Science: ‘Dissolving Starfish’ – debunked[/h][FONT=&quot]Guest Essay by Kip Hansen Every author I have ever queried about a quote attributed to them in a University Science Press Release has told me the same thing. “That’s not exactly what I said, and not what I really meant,” they tell me. I can feel the shy grins on their faces as I…
[/FONT]

March 8, 2018 in Bad science journalism.

An earlier episode:

What the Press release said: “the skeletons of calcifying organisms like star fish and coralline algae were dissolving.”
What the paper said: “a significant shift towards net dissolution was observed.”
What Dr. Burdett meant: “there was more dissolution of calcium carbonate than there was production. The loss may have come from live, calcified organisms such as coralline algae or starfish, dead carbonate skeletal remains or carbonate-rich non-biogenic sediment.”
There were no starfish writhing in agony as their skeletons dissolved, as might have been inferred by the general public reading the Press Release alone.
LESSON LEARNED: Never judge a study or its author by the contents of a University media release and never assume that the quotation marks around a statement from a study’s author signify words actually uttered or the meaning intended by the author.

Threegoofs

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[h=1]Press Release Science: ‘Dissolving Starfish’ – debunked[/h][FONT=&quot]Guest Essay by Kip Hansen Every author I have ever queried about a quote attributed to them in a University Science Press Release has told me the same thing. “That’s not exactly what I said, and not what I really meant,” they tell me. I can feel the shy grins on their faces as I…
[/FONT]

March 8, 2018 in Bad science journalism.

An earlier episode:

What the Press release said: “the skeletons of calcifying organisms like star fish and coralline algae were dissolving.”
What the paper said: “a significant shift towards net dissolution was observed.”
What Dr. Burdett meant: “there was more dissolution of calcium carbonate than there was production. The loss may have come from live, calcified organisms such as coralline algae or starfish, dead carbonate skeletal remains or carbonate-rich non-biogenic sediment.”
There were no starfish writhing in agony as their skeletons dissolved, as might have been inferred by the general public reading the Press Release alone.
LESSON LEARNED: Never judge a study or its author by the contents of a University media release and never assume that the quotation marks around a statement from a study’s author signify words actually uttered or the meaning intended by the author.

From the paper:

“Diseased sea stars develop progressively worse dermal lesions (13, 14), arms detach from the central disc, gonads spilled from fully reproductive stars and individuals die, often leaving white piles of ossicles and disconnected limbs .”

Media_Truth

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
From the paper:

“Diseased sea stars develop progressively worse dermal lesions (13, 14), arms detach from the central disc, gonads spilled from fully reproductive stars and individuals die, often leaving white piles of ossicles and disconnected limbs .”

I find this often with Jack's blog posts from the High Schooler Watts. He takes some study, and uses sensationalist headlines, such as "Press Release Science: ‘Dissolving Starfish’ – debunked". And then you actually read the article and it totally contradicts the title of the High Schooler Watts. I've asked Jack, over and over, to go to the sources, but then he wouldn't get his lying, sensationalistic headline. :beatdeadhorse

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
From the paper:

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I find this often with Jack's blog posts from the High Schooler Watts. He takes some study, and uses sensationalist headlines, such as "Press Release Science: ‘Dissolving Starfish’ – debunked". And then you actually read the article and it totally contradicts the title of the High Schooler Watts. I've asked Jack, over and over, to go to the sources, but then he wouldn't get his lying, sensationalistic headline. :beatdeadhorse

That's because the WUWT headlines are not lies, your false characterizations notwithstanding.

Threegoofs

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

The press release was QUOTING Dr. Burdette.

“Heidi Burdett, Heriot-Watt University research fellow, said: "We found that there was a rapid, community-level shift to net dissolution, meaning that within that community, the skeletons of calcifying organisms like starfish and coralline algae were dissolving.”

Redirect Notice

So much for the ‘debunking’.

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The press release was QUOTING Dr. Burdette.

“Heidi Burdett, Heriot-Watt University research fellow, said: "We found that there was a rapid, community-level shift to net dissolution, meaning that within that community, the skeletons of calcifying organisms like starfish and coralline algae were dissolving.”

Redirect Notice

So much for the ‘debunking’.

Thank you for making my point.

RetiredUSN

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

I have read that they have had a resurgence since 2015?

https://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/starfish-population-resurges-major-die-off-article-1.3722955

And, scientists have not come to a definite conclusion as to what actually caused the wasting disease.

The fish, also called sea stars because they are not actually fish but rather echinoderms, suffered from a mysterious virus named Sea Star Wasting Syndrome, of which scientists have yet to find a cause. The disease killed millions of starfish of varying species, mostly along the West Coast of the United States.

Threegoofs

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I have read that they have had a resurgence since 2015?

https://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/starfish-population-resurges-major-die-off-article-1.3722955

And, scientists have not come to a definite conclusion as to what actually caused the wasting disease.

The fish, also called sea stars because they are not actually fish but rather echinoderms, suffered from a mysterious virus named Sea Star Wasting Syndrome, of which scientists have yet to find a cause. The disease killed millions of starfish of varying species, mostly along the West Coast of the United States.

The cause is the virus.

But nice work on the scientific interpretation!

RetiredUSN

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The cause is the virus.

But nice work on the scientific interpretation!

I did not attempt to interpret anything.

Would you care to respond to what the article says?

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Oh, Jack Hays has assured me that that’s really not happening.
I entered this forum through the front-page "Newest Threads" section, not realizing I was in the Climate forum. I usually don't post here because of getting dragged down rabbit holes, so I can't speak to your O.P. But I can speak to us having loss around half of the Great Barrier Reef, which is pretty sad.

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I entered this forum through the front-page "Newest Threads" section, not realizing I was in the Climate forum. I usually don't post here because of getting dragged down rabbit holes, so I can't speak to your O.P. But I can speak to us having loss around half of the Great Barrier Reef, which is pretty sad.

Aussie Coral Reef Rises from the Dead

Guest essay by Eric Worrall h/t JoNova – the Australian ABC reports scientists from the Australian Institute of Marine Science are surprised how rapidly the Australian Great Barrier Reef is recovering from the 2016 bleaching event. Great Barrier Reef starts to recover after severe coral bleaching, survey of sites between Cairns and Townsville shows By…

October 1, 2017 in Alarmism.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[h=1]Top 12 Debunked Climate Scares of 2018[/h][FONT=&quot]Reposted from The GWPF January 2018: Worst-case global warming scenarios not credible: Study PARIS (AFP) – Earth’s surface will almost certainly not warm up four or five degrees Celsius by 2100, according to a study released Wednesday (Jan 17) which, if correct, voids worst-case UN climate change predictions. A revised calculation of how greenhouse gases…
[/FONT]

January 1, 2019 in PEOPLE WILL DIE!.

Lord of Planar

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

Next, they will be tying the new measles outbreak to Global Warming.

Damn Chicken Littles of the world...

Over the long cycle of time, this is probably not unusual. We all know that pathogens thrive at a range from 4 C to about 70C. Somewhere between these two temperatures is their peak livelihood. Warming probably does increase deseases, but now look what we have now. Darwin will mentioned from time to time as the strong develop immunity, and carry on the species.

Nature at work once again.

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Over the long cycle of time, this is probably not unusual. We all know that pathogens thrive at a range from 4 C to about 70C. Somewhere between these two temperatures is their peak livelihood. Warming probably does increase deseases, but now look what we have now. Darwin will mentioned from time to time as the strong develop immunity, and carry on the species.

There has been much recent chatter among alarmists about the need to cite AGW in connection with tangible events because the larger issues like temperature and sensitivity have become so shaky.

Lord of Planar

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
There has been much recent chatter among alarmists about the need to cite AGW in connection with tangible events because the larger issues like temperature and sensitivity have become so shaky.

That's how they lose credibility though.

Threegoofs

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Yeah. Those stupid biologists.

What do they know?

Top Bottom