• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Massive protests to begin in Egypt against Morsi

the_recruit

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
On Sunday - the one-year anniversary of Morsi's election to power - mass protests are set to begin in Tahrir square. The protestors are demanding Morsi's resignation. It's only 4:00am there now but thousands have already filled the square. It's not clear at this point how large the protests will be, but the US State Dept has issued warnings against traveling to Egypt and has already evacuated many personnel in anticipation. Hold on to your butts...

Egypt protests set for showdown, violence feared | Reuters

On Sunday - the one-year anniversary of Morsi's election to power - mass protests are set to begin in Tahrir square. The protestors are demanding Morsi's resignation. It's only 4:00am there now but thousands have already filled the square. It's not clear at this point how large the protests will be, but the US State Dept has issued warnings against traveling to Egypt and has already evacuated many personnel in anticipation. Hold on to your butts...

Egypt protests set for showdown, violence feared | Reuters

They're even more dysfunctional than we are. :roll: I think there is WAY too much division among the people in Egypt.

Temperatures in Cairo are edging steadily toward triple digits.

Egyptians are largely dependent on the government. They ousted the people who were responsible and experienced at providing for the people such as it was and as corrupt as they were, who were replaced with a whole brand new set of inept, corrupt people who had no idea what the heck they are doing. This does not surprise me at all--people want their MorsiCare and their Morsiphones. The only thing that surprises me is that it has not happened in Libya yet.

Egyptians are largely dependent on the government. They ousted the people who were responsible and experienced at providing for the people such as it was and as corrupt as they were, who were replaced with a whole brand new set of inept, corrupt people who had no idea what the heck they are doing. This does not surprise me at all--people want their MorsiCare and their Morsiphones. The only thing that surprises me is that it has not happened in Libya yet.

Makes you wonder about what's going to happen in Syria too.

Makes you wonder about what's going to happen in Syria too.

Yep. It is also what happened in Iraq with De-Ba'athification.

protests.jpg

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Did you just paraphrase they're a bunch of lazy liberals demanding government handouts?

Did you just paraphrase they're a bunch of lazy liberals demanding government handouts?

No. They are a bunch of poor people who need the government because they live in a a desert, or would but for the government. I don't think one can compare the economic politics of the US with the economic politics places like that.

Corrupt people are corrupt whether you elect them or they seize power. No surprises there.

Egypt erupts with protests demanding Morsi ouster - World - CBC News

Hundreds of thousands thronged the streets of Cairo and cities around the country Sunday and marched on the presidential palace, filling a broad avenue for blocks, in an attempt to force out the Islamist president with the most massive protests Egypt has seen in two-and-a-half years of turmoil.

In a sign of the explosive volatility of the country's divisions, a hard core of young opponents broke away from the rallies and attacked the main headquarters of President Mohammed Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood, pelting it with stones and firebombs until a raging fire erupted in the walled villa. During clashes, Brotherhood supporters opened fire on the attackers, and activists said three protesters were killed.

Good for them. I'm glad the protests are continuing and people are partaking in the democratic process in Egypt.

Corrupt people are corrupt whether you elect them or they seize power. No surprises there.

I'm certainly not surprised. There are just too many different groups in the ME who seem to really hate one another.

The protesters are setting the headquarters of the Muslim Brotherhood on fire.

Good thing we just sent Morsi all that cash for his military...

The protesters are setting the headquarters of the Muslim Brotherhood on fire.

Good thing we just sent Morsi all that cash for his military...

Do you think the Muslim Brotherhood got control legitimately in the first place? I'm quite skeptical.

Good for them. I'm glad the protests are continuing and people are partaking in the democratic process in Egypt.

I think that's the crux of the issue though. Morsi was elected through the democratic process. Is demanding his ouster at this point really democratic?

(I don't know the answer - that's a genuine question).

This situation is going to head further south quickly.

This is good if it stays relatively peaceful.

Bad if it doesn't.

If it gets too ugly, the military might take over (VERY bad)...and the whole thing could start again.

I think that's the crux of the issue though. Morsi was elected through the democratic process. Is demanding his ouster at this point really democratic?

(I don't know the answer - that's a genuine question).

Absolutely. Protesting and making demands is always apart of the democratic process.

Do you think the Muslim Brotherhood got control legitimately in the first place? I'm quite skeptical.

No, I don't. All the more reason why it was utterly foolish for this administration to send military aid to Egypt.

This protest has all the earmarks of being the good one, the one we should be supporting. It is in support of Democracy and opposes Islamic Radicalism. These are our potential allies. Will this president be able to admit his error and dump Morsi in favor of our natural allies? Nothing I have seen from him in the last 5 years says he can, but I can still hope.

This is good if it stays relatively peaceful.

Bad if it doesn't.

If it gets too ugly, the military might take over (VERY bad)...and the whole thing could start again.

Uh oh.

Egypt on edge after army ultimatum

'Egypt was on edge Tuesday after a "last-chance" ultimatum the military issued to Mohammed Morsi, giving the president and the opposition 48 hours to resolve the crisis in the country or have the army step in with its own plan.'

Egypt on edge after army ultimatum - World - CBC News

Overall, this is a great thing.

The Muslim Brotherhood was elected into power - more or less legitimately - and has royally screwed up. The people dont like it, and are out in the streets again to protest. The military basically annouces a coup d etat IN ADVANCE of it (first time ever?) and the people are fully in support.

The US should stand back and let it play out, with moral support to the forces of democracy, no matter what those forces will be. Eventually, they will be on our side, and this is being demonstrated right now. All the whining about how we enabled the Muslim Brotherhood to take over Egypt under Obama is being shown to be just that.. whining. Democracy will ultimately prevail, and I'm guessing harsh Islamic law isnt part of that.

Back
Top Bottom