• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Massive Apple security hole discovered in its laptops.

PeteEU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Security hack can 'kill' MacBook battery firmware | Electronista

Apple Laptops Vulnerable To Hack That Kills Or Corrupts Batteries - Andy Greenberg - The Firewall - Forbes

A few things about this. The OS it self needs to be breached to be able to exploit this. But considering that hackers and security experts are taking an extra look at Apple's operating software now and discovering issues, then it is not that hard for the determined hacker.

Hackers expose flaw in Apple iPad, iPhone software | Reuters

one of the latest issues, which I believe still is not patched.

And yes Windows laptops may be effected as well.

But what pisses me off is that Apple never changed the default password for the battery chips... what the hell? I know they have been saying for years that Apple OS is secure and all that propaganda, but they did not do security 101 on their own hardware by changing the default password of one of their manufactures? Even my 50 dollar router from China demanded I change the default password when I turned it on...

But what pisses me off is that Apple never changed the default password for the battery chips... what the hell? I know they have been saying for years that Apple OS is secure and all that propaganda, but they did not do security 101 on their own hardware by changing the default password of one of their manufactures? Even my 50 dollar router from China demanded I change the default password when I turned it on...

Sadly common. Stuxnet only worked because Siemens couldn't change the default password for their nuclear powerplant control system.

That's one of the problems with Apple- the coding is simple to fix, simple to understand, simple to break. It's supposed to be user friendly- which it is- but it loses security in the process. One of the few things I like about windows (I'm a PC user, though) is that the completely confusing and complex coding that's used makes it much more difficult to hack.

Sadly common. Stuxnet only worked because Siemens couldn't change the default password for their nuclear powerplant control system.

On stuxnet, that's neglecting the fact that t had to be someone that got into the facility to install this virus...

On apple, apple has been relatively safe from hack attacks because they were not the big dogs... That role has belonged to Microsoft. So, it's not surprising as apple becomes more popular that hackers start to take aim.

No no, that would be if hackers were attacking AOL. :lol:

Well, I was meaning more in terms of OS's.

Another reason why Microsoft is such a big target has to do with their hubris to the point where they have put out the os code and challenged hackers to break it. (sometimes within 48 hours of release windows gets broken)

Another reason why Microsoft is such a big target has to do with their hubris to the point where they have put out the os code and challenged hackers to break it. (sometimes within 48 hours of release windows gets broken)

Actually, microsoft gets hacked because they have crappy software. Publishing your code is a standard practice so that you can find and fix bugs rather than letting hackers exploit them in secret. The most secure OS's like SE linux all are open source and yet are far more secure.

Actually, microsoft gets hacked because they have crappy software. Publishing your code is a standard practice so that you can find and fix bugs rather than letting hackers exploit them in secret. The most secure OS's like SE linux all are open source and yet are far more secure.

I can't disagree with that... Microsofts entire business model is based on the concept of releasing software before it's finished and then patching it until the next product is released.

You also need to consider that most "reputable" hackers USE linux themselves, and many are also contributors to the various distributions of linux, so they have little motivation to "attack" their own software of preference... but further, Linux is built in such a way that requires aministrator / root access in order to do much of anything and the system is built in such a way that they ONLY way to access that (without guessing the password) is to have direct access to the system...

Meanwhile, on a windows box, it's often as simple as finding an unchecked buffer to overflow and suddenly you get direct access to system memory.

Anyway, it's not any singular simple reason, but the result is that Microsoft has got the BIG target on their backs, apple to a much lesser extent and linux can be made to be so secure that nobody could access your computer without walking up to it and sitting down, there's a reason why most servers are linux based (part of the same reason why most office computing is done with windows)

If somebody has physical access to your battery they could disable it much more easily by smashing it with a hammer. The entire concept of hacking a battery is just silly

If somebody has physical access to your battery they could disable it much more easily by smashing it with a hammer. The entire concept of hacking a battery is just silly

Um, this wouldn't require physical access to the battery.

Back
Top Bottom