• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mass shootings in the USA

How does capitalism cause mass killings?

Capitalism is an abstract object and thus cannot be blamed for anything. It's not an actor, it's a thing; it's used for stuff.

Capitalism is an abstract object and thus cannot be blamed for anything. It's not an actor, it's a thing; it's used for stuff.

Well, uh, why not mention that to the guy who cited it the reason for mass killings? Seemed to me that Josie just wanted hear his logic, not that she was agreeing with it.

It is always horrible and incredible to hear of such disasters.Why do you think these killings frequently occur ?
Considering the cause and numerical potential, these tragedies are really not all that frequent.

There is always some kind of emotionally energized self-image payoff and the existing mindset contains insufficient societal norm mores to prevent it and/or contains concepts that support it. Then there is a related trigger.

For Mateen, it was to avoid Muslim fundamentalist Daddy's disapproval and to maintain Daddy's approval, the emotional energy component. Omar Mateen's mindset contained Muslim fundamentalist concepts of killing infidels augmented by a similar sentence for gays, the mindset that set the stage for the self-image payoff as a "great Muslim". The triggering mechanism was seeing two infidel gay men kissing in front of his son, and, as a dad, he internalized what his own dad would say needed to be done .. and he did it.

Mateen might not have failed a sanity test; his cognitive/emotional state might not have been pathological, even if he behaved "like" a sociopath.

The particular emotional energy, cognitive concept, and self-image payoff combination was sufficiently set, triggered into action by the observed "infidel"-gay event.

Sandy Hook, Oklahoma City, San Bernardino .. all these perpetrators had the same emotional-energy, mindset concepts, and self-image payoff formula. Then a specific trigger-event occurred .. and the rest is horrific history. They differed from Orlando only in specifics, such as who the family-of-origin person(s) were, whether it was idealization or contempt regarding them, how the mindset concepts were implanted and what they were, what the self-image payoff was, and what triggered the event into action.

This is what makes some forms of extremism so scary. A great many people have the family-of-origin damage set. They're ripe for idealization and contempt extremes in concepts to settle in their "fertile" minds. Unresolved family-of-origin damage comes complete with attendant low self-image. Who knows what the trigger events will be.

The extreme concept component is why we intuitively find religious or political extremes worrisome. All it takes is some imam, preacher .. or politico .. to plant extremes in "prepared" soil.

Whether the tool might be an assault rifle, fertilizer, hand weapons .. or a backpack-size nuke .. it's still all bad.

The easiest prevention is take away all the weapons (still an essentially impossible task), and abolish dangerous concepts (again, impossible to do). So not so "easy" after all.

Ultimately, healthy childhoods prevent dysfunction-based idealization/contempt from the mind .. but that too is impossible to create world-wide. Best we can do is help parents raise healthy children here and now.

So we are left here in America with a rather difficult and not very effective task: keep out illegal aliens and allow legal entry only after a person is scrutinized well. Even if we succeed here, it's effect is like shooting an elephant with a BB gun.

Ultimately, all this tragedy goes away when there is far more basic needs resources available worldwide than demand for them. Today, we have simply the opposite. Parents struggling in need, unable to feed and protect their children, to whatever degree, sets the stage for dysfunctional parent-child relationships ... . We may a century or so away from this, and then again providing only that we really, really, work at it to create a significantly negative population change rate, first in America, and throughout the rest of the world.

A desire to do so coupled with easily available weaponry to do the job. It's not rocket science.

How does capitalism cause mass killings?

lots of reasons.... Franco Berardi wrote a good book about it

But how does suicide, which as you say, is epidemic, become these frightening acts of mass murder?

Well, because those people hate everybody. The frequency of psychopathology is on the rise. You see, my book is also an attempt to find a possibility of understanding the spreading suicide of terror, the kind of acts that are currently being committed by the Islamic State, for example. This kind of phenomenon... I don't think we can possibly describe it only in terms of ideological or religious beliefs.

Of course these religious and political beliefs do exist and are important factors, but I believe that the deeper, more universal motivation of these acts is suffering. Because you just can't understand a young person coming from London and going to Syria to kill and be killed only on the basis of their religious beliefs. We have to try to understand their humiliation.... we have to try to understand what kind of hell is inside this person.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/berardi-interview
Heroes: Mass Murder and Suicide by Franco Bifo Berardi — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I'm not watching an hour-long video. Give me the Cliff's Notes version.

the vice article is pretty short heres another one

A few hours after last week's murder of a television reporter and her cameraman in Moneta, Va. -- broadcast live, as it was happening, on a local morning news program -- the killer released his own video. Evidently recorded with a digital camera carried at eye level, it puts the viewer in his place as he walks towards his victims. Once at point-blank range, the gun in his right hand enters the bottom of the screen, moving unsteadily for a few (very long) seconds, taking aim and firing.
The killer made sure this unsettling document went public via social media. Before long, someone had combined it with footage of the shooting as it had aired on television to create a synchronized split-screen record of the event, like a scene in a Brian De Palma movie. I've read about this mash-up but not seen it, and won't, and will refrain from speculating on why anyone considered it a potential worth realizing. (Watching the TV clip and the killer's point-of-view video on the day of the shootings left me feeling morally compromised enough, thank you very much.)
https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2015/09/02/review-franco-berardi-heroes-mass-murder-and-suicide

I guess we could get a mental healthcare system if the RWers would quite whining about money...

We had a mental health system- until lefties made it legally impossible to treat unwilling people. Care to guess how many people with mental illnesses dont want to seek treatment?

They weren't considered, "citizens"

it was mostly about racism in my opinion . they were hunted like animals .But now they are alll regarded as citizens I think

Have to be one crazy person to open fire on civilians with a premeditated murder plan.

In case you had not noticed, the world is full of crazy humans.

it was mostly about racism in my opinion . they were hunted like animals .But now they are all regarded as citizens I think

It was about conquest...they were in the way of of an ever-expanding population of Europeans and others.

They actually have their own sovereign [sort of] nations but, yes they are considered citizens.

Back
Top Bottom