• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mass shooting leaves at least 9 injured in downtown Cincinnati

Rickeroo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Well it's not a mass shooting, as of the report you linked. Three dead is the definition of a mass shooting.

But it could be, when further details come to light. Suspect still at large, too, so whether it's a mass shooting or not, it is an Active Shooter situation.

I read the article and it’s a lot of words to say not much more than the headline. We got the detailed description of the suspect so if you see someone in a white shirt and dark pants contact the police he/she/them/they/ze/zei is a person of interest.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...least-9-injured-downtown-cincinnati-rcna41895

Just like the Orlando "mass shooting" a few weeks ago, we have another one here. I realize 'mass shooting' is quite the buzzword today, but it's definition is being watered down with the constant linking to Black street crime.

I didn't read the article at all, just the headline.

Watered down?

The term "mass shooting" has not been "watered down by linking to Black street crime."

There are several definitions depending on which source you prefer, but essentially at minimum it is an incident in which 4 or more people are injured.

Since gang violence and street crime often conform to this definition, the term is not being "watered down" by them.

Then there is "mass killing" defined by the FBI as 4 or more people killed in a single incident.

See you all at the next one.

Well it's not a mass shooting, as of the report you linked. Three dead is the definition of a mass shooting.

But it could be, when further details come to light. Suspect still at large, too, so whether it's a mass shooting or not, it is an Active Shooter situation.
According to whom?
What you describe sounds like definition of mass murder.

Thankfully none of them died, and appears none are even in critical condition.

The area where this occurred here is Cincy was a revitalized slum just on the edge of downtown that is a very popular bar/restaurant area packed on the weekends. Which presumably is why the gunman chose it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...least-9-injured-downtown-cincinnati-rcna41895

Just like the Orlando "mass shooting" a few weeks ago, we have another one here. I realize 'mass shooting' is quite the buzzword today, but it's definition is being watered down with the constant linking to Black street crime.

I didn't read the article at all, just the headline.
Injuries do not a "mass shooting" make these days. You need at least 3 dead other than the shooter.

It never fails. In EVERY thread about gun violence, the 2A shippers swarm in and start posting nitpicks about gun models and definitions in an attempt to obfuscate and deflect.

Does it REALLY matter if mass shootings are defined by 4 dead and two injured? Or 3 dead and 7 injured? Or 1 dead and 12 injured?

If the word "mass" in a thread bothers you so much, just ignore it.

According to whom?

Yes, fair enough. FBI definition of "mass murder" is 4 killed.

The area where this occurred here is Cincy was a revitalized slum just on the edge of downtown that is a very popular bar/restaurant area packed on the weekends. Which presumably is why the gunman chose it.

Or was just having a quiet drink when the crazy switch flipped in his head.

We probably shouldn't even be assuming it's a "he." White shirt, black pants, could be a woman too.

According to whom?

and even then there are disagreements (within our country and around the world) about the definitions of mass shootings and mass murders.

for example...
  • if a guy shoots 100 people and 2 die, is it a mass murder?
  • if a guy shoots 3 people and all 3 die, is it a mass murder?
  • if a guy shoots 3 people and no one dies, is it a mass shooting?

Watered down?

The term "mass shooting" has not been "watered down by linking to Black street crime."

There are several definitions depending on which source you prefer, but essentially at minimum it is an incident in which 4 or more people are injured.

Since gang violence and street crime often conform to this definition, the term is not being "watered down" by them.

Then there is "mass killing" defined by the FBI as 4 or more people killed in a single incident.

The media is using the 4+ injured definition. A slightly better descriptor of the use of 'mass shooting' would be too broad rather than watered down, though they are very similar:

Bruce Jenner and Marisa Tomei meet the technical definition for "woman". I feel definition for woman is too broad, and it waters down the level of womanhood possessed by Tomei over Jenner.

Calling Columbine and whatever this was in Cincinnati by the same term is a mistake, in my opinion.

It never fails. In EVERY thread about gun violence, the 2A shippers swarm in and start posting nitpicks about gun models and definitions in an attempt to obfuscate and deflect.

Does it REALLY matter if mass shootings are defined by 4 dead and two injured? Or 3 dead and 7 injured? Or 1 dead and 12 injured?

Right, most murderers are legal gun owners. It cuts both ways: restricting who can legally buy a gun doesn't help much; but on the other hand, making it harder for anyone to buy a gun would help. Enter the 2nd Amendment, and America has this problem forever.

The Founders didn't always get it right. EVERY state had slaves when the Bill of Rights was passed. Bill of Rights, my ass.

and even then there are disagreements (within our country and around the world) about the definitions of mass shootings and mass murders.

for example...
  • if a guy shoots 100 people and 2 die, is it a mass murder?
  • if a guy shoots 3 people and all 3 die, is it a mass murder?
  • if a guy shoots 3 people and no one dies, is it a mass shooting?

I have a well-reasoned definition of what kind of event warrants the definition of mass shooting. Statistically, whites are over-represented more than Blacks starting at the 7+ killed mark. Whites are still over-represented at 6 killed, however Blacks are more over-represented than whites at the level. Asians and Arabs are also over-represented at the higher kill events.

This definition statistically accounts for the very strong social expectation of Black violence, and leaves the definition of mass shooting where it should be: To describe an extreme, unexpected event that should not have occurred.

and, or course, here's a mass murder from 2 days ago in Ohio that we won't talk about...

4 people were gunned down (one was a 15yo girl). here's the mom and daughter who are now dead...

photo

here is the gunman/murderer...

Suspected killer Stephen Marlow has been found after four people were shot and killed in Township, Ohio, on Friday

I have a well-reasoned definition of what kind of event warrants the definition of mass shooting. Statistically, whites...
i'm surprised you made a post about race.

I understand your point and agree definition nitpicking can be used as a distraction. On the flip words and phrases need a common understanding to be effective.

Having a more fluid definition of mass shooting is useful for propaganda purposes.

Of course, statisticians have to define the terms they use but does nitpicking about a specific definition of "mass shooting" really matter in a DP thread?

Sarcasm alert.

It would sure save DP a lot of bandwidth if, in gun threads, the word "mass" was substituted with "multiple victims" and every reference to an assault or automatic weapon was substituted with the generic "firearm".

Back
Top Bottom