• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mass shooting have become just part of the American scene

Do not mention a lot of laws passed if this is your opinion. Just so you know, I have run a mental hospital and I can tell you that the same person that is meek and mild one minute and talks absolute sense could pick up a knife or a gun and go after you the next.
I see. :unsure: So people actually CAN be guilty of a crime even before they have committed it. :oops:

I don't doubt that you were in a mental hospital. I HIGHLY doubt you RAN it though! :LOL:

Perhaps you dreamed that you ran it?

As I said in my OP, mass shootings have become part of the American scene and you and the right will never do a thing to stop it. Without the so called "tool" , how many people could someone coming to a school kill? Especially if it is an AR15 with a huge magazine or even a hand gun with a 30 round mag. THe person is the one who aims the tool, but the tool does the killing.
More people are killed with cars. You would have just as much chance of banning cars.

Beyond that, all you need is an Amendment. Go for it, if you think you have a tinkers chance in hell.

Beyond that, there are nearly 300 gun laws on the books. Some fools think passing another one will make a difference.

that is what a talking head said and she was right. Many Americans no longer even want to hear about them or do not look up t their TV from their phones when they are being shown on the networks. Pretty soon the old saying will change to mom, apple pie and mass shootings. And nothing, and I mean nothing will be done o stop them. It is a sickening truth, but there it is, guns are more important than children.

NO! She is NOT right. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mass shootings have NOT become a part of the "American scene."

They are extraordinarily rare when it comes to "crazy gunmen" incidents, and slightly more common when it comes to gangland/criminal enterprise incidents.

But the MEDIA plays them up for views, and views sell advertising. Whether it is print, online, television, or some cellphone application.

Many tens if not hundreds of millions of American citizens own guns. 99%+ do no wrong with them.

Such guns are used for sports shooting, hunting, home and business security, personal protection, and even simple collections.

A small percentage are used in criminal enterprises, some end up used in crimes of passion, a very rare few are used in gang warfare, and a final tiny few are used by the "lunatic/terrorist with a gun" crimes.

Yet for many people guns are "living in their head," much like a lot of other "ideas" promulgated to create fear, division, and desire for someone else to "keep you safe."

Typically by using guns to enforce control.

Last edited:
Following the massacre in Buffalo over the weekend by a teenager we are hearing the same load of crap from politicians that we heard following Columbine, Sandy Hook, San Bernardino, Orlando, Las Vegas, Sutherland Springs, Parkland, El Paso, N.Y. City subway, and countless others.

And nothing got done. Nothing will get done following the Buffalo massacre.

There will be another mass shooting before the month is over. Indeed, there were at least five other mass shootings since Friday coinciding with the Buffalo massacre.
That was written eight days ago. No, I can't see the future. We all knew this was going to happen.

The AP reports, "An 18-year-old gunman opened fire Tuesday at a Texas elementary school, killing 14 children, one teacher and injuring others, [Republican] Gov. Greg Abbott said, and the gunman was dead.

"It was the deadliest shooting at a U.S. grade school since the shocking attack at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, almost a decade ago.

"The gunman entered Robb Elementary School in Uvalde with a handgun and possibly a rifle, Abbott said. Officials have not revealed a motive for the shooting, but Abbott identified him as Salvador Ramos and said he was a resident of the community that’s about 85 miles (135 kilometers) west of San Antonio."

Republican controlled Texas passed an open carry law in 2021. "A new pro-gun law in Texas that went into effect [in September 2021] allows most Texans to legally own a firearm and carry it openly in public without obtaining a permit, training, or background check," CNN.

Once again, nothing will change. The Republican Party will once again prevent life saving laws to be passed. Here is why.

The National Rifle Association (NRA) is a 501(c)(4) organization it says of itself, It is widely recognized today as a major political force and as America's foremost defender of Second Amendment rights.In 2013. The NRA contributes heavily to the Republican Party, and the GOP has for decades stymied gun control measures in Congress.

At the same time Republican states are passing laws that enable government control of pregnancies, and many wonder what freedoms will be next.

There is tragic irony in that the Republican Party is passionate about protecting the life of the unborn but has no interest in protecting the lives of the born, children and adults alike. Their decades long struggle to permit dangerous people like Salvador Ramos and Payton S. Gendron to own guns prove that point.

It is safe to say the Republican Party is fast becoming dangerous as they also are attacking the integrity of America's free elections, the very foundation of our democracy.

The Republican Party expects to win control of Congress in November.

The forum's Republicans will not respond to the issues contained in this report.

That was written eight days ago. No, I can't see the future. We all knew this was going to happen.

The AP reports, "An 18-year-old gunman opened fire Tuesday at a Texas elementary school, killing 14 children, one teacher and injuring others, [Republican] Gov. Greg Abbott said, and the gunman was dead.

"It was the deadliest shooting at a U.S. grade school since the shocking attack at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, almost a decade ago.

"The gunman entered Robb Elementary School in Uvalde with a handgun and possibly a rifle, Abbott said. Officials have not revealed a motive for the shooting, but Abbott identified him as Salvador Ramos and said he was a resident of the community that’s about 85 miles (135 kilometers) west of San Antonio."

Republican controlled Texas passed an open carry law in 2021. "A new pro-gun law in Texas that went into effect [in September 2021] allows most Texans to legally own a firearm and carry it openly in public without obtaining a permit, training, or background check," CNN.

Once again, nothing will change. The Republican Party will once again prevent life saving laws to be passed. Here is why.

The National Rifle Association (NRA) is a 501(c)(4) organization it says of itself, It is widely recognized today as a major political force and as America's foremost defender of Second Amendment rights.In 2013. The NRA contributes heavily to the Republican Party, and the GOP has for decades stymied gun control measures in Congress.

At the same time Republican states are passing laws that enable government control of pregnancies, and many wonder what freedoms will be next.

There is tragic irony in that the Republican Party is passionate about protecting the life of the unborn but has no interest in protecting the lives of the born, children and adults alike. Their decades long struggle to permit dangerous people like Salvador Ramos and Payton S. Gendron to own guns prove that point.

It is safe to say the Republican Party is fast becoming dangerous as they also are attacking the integrity of America's free elections, the very foundation of our democracy.

The Republican Party expects to win control of Congress in November.

The forum's Republicans will not respond to the issues contained in this report.

Emotional Appeal with a partisan political spin this time. B.S.

I've already responded to this kind of rhetoric. Most recently in this very thread in my post #29 right before yours.

But I can do "emotional" too. ;)

I am a "defender of the Second Amendment."

There are many hundreds of MILLIONS of us. Among those there are many who are armed, tens of millions (if not hundreds of millions).

This is not a Republican vs. Democrat thing to me. I am Independent.

It is a right to self-defense, defense of others, and maintaining the capability to defend my family, friends, neighborhood, city, State, and Nation from all enemies foreign and domestic.

Most especially those "domestic" ones who keep pointing to rare "bad gun" cases to disarm the rest of us.

WHY do I think your side does this?

IMO to push for whichever from of authoritarian government's monopoly on guns enables it's enforcers to make the rest of us do as we are told.

Last edited:
Columbine was 23 years ago.

That’s all I have…….
We need to be very clear. Those who enable this, the gun nutters, have blood on their hands. Again.

I see. :unsure: So people actually CAN be guilty of a crime even before they have committed it. :oops:

I don't doubt that you were in a mental hospital. I HIGHLY doubt you RAN it though! :LOL:

Perhaps you dreamed that you ran it?
Actually I ran it for four years. I also ran an Drug and alcoholic treatment center at the same time, after I left the military where I was a Medical Service Officer. What do you actually know about people with mental illness other than what you get from Fox News. And you are saying that we should not take guns from the mentally ill until they kill someone with it, right?

NO! She is NOT right. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mass shootings have NOT become a part of the "American scene."

They are extraordinarily rare when it comes to "crazy gunmen" incidents, and slightly more common when it comes to gangland/criminal enterprise incidents.

But the MEDIA plays them up for views, and views sell advertising. Whether it is print, online, television, or some cellphone application.

Many tens if not hundreds of millions of American citizens own guns. 99%+ do no wrong with them.

Such guns are used for sports shooting, hunting, home and business security, personal protection, and even simple collections.

A small percentage are used in criminal enterprises, some end up used in crimes of passion, a very rare few are used in gang warfare, and a final tiny few are used by the "lunatic/terrorist with a gun" crimes.

Yet for many people guns are "living in their head," much like a lot of other "ideas" promulgated to create fear, division, and desire for someone else to "keep you safe."

Typically by using guns to enforce control.
Really very few . Well so far this year we have had 27 school shootings and 198 mass shootings. Doesn't sound like a "few" to me, how about you?

I've already responded to this kind of rhetoric. Most recently in this very thread in my post #29 right before yours.

There are many hundreds of MILLIONS of us. Among those there are many who are armed, tens of millions (if not hundreds of millions).

It is a right to self-defense, defense of others, and maintaining the capability to defend my family, friends, neighborhood, city, State, and Nation from all enemies foreign and domestic.

Most especially those "domestic" ones who keep pointing to rare "bad gun" cases to disarm the rest of us.

IMO to push for whichever from of authoritarian government's monopoly on guns enables it's enforcers to make the rest of us do as we are told.
Not that old BS about we need to keep the government from making us slaves business with our guns. If that ever happens it will be the ones with all of those guns doing it and not the government. And it seems to me that you are too emotional about guns and gun control. Look at universal background checks. Over 90% of the public want it and it might have stopped some of the killings using by those who have mental illnesses. But the NRA and such appeal not to peoples intellect but to their emotions telling them they are coming to get your guns, again. How many times have the government come to get your guns, really? I guess if you are a felon and you are found with one they take it from you. Of if you are drunk and shooting up the place, or when you commit mass murder.

Yea, you are an independent alright.

As for "rare" bad gun cases, and your emotional claim that you only want to be able to defend your family, do you know how many times a firearm is used to defend someone in their home from an invader, versus the number of times that gun is used on you or someone who lives in your home?

It's not a good stat if you want to go the "self defense" route so spare us that pat NRA/republican response.

Really very few . Well so far this year we have had 27 school shootings and 198 mass shootings. Doesn't sound like a "few" to me, how about you?

Yes it does.

What part of MILLIONS of gun owners out of which you point to "27 school shootings" which could refer to a number of different forms of a gun going off on school property, and 198 "mass shootings" which is a combination of mostly criminal gang types and a smaller number of "crazy person with a gun" types is so hard to understand?

Simply divide the smallest estimate of national gun owners which I think is 45 million.

What percent of 45 million is 27 incidents? 0.0000006% What percent of 45 million is 198 incidents? 0.0000044%

According to this news report 300 people are being struck by lightning each year and 50 people are killed by lighting each year.

You have a greater chance of being killed by lightning than involved in a school shooting. You have a greater chance of being struck by lightning each year than being involved in a "mass shooting."

Are we in a panic about lightning strikes?

Last edited:
Thank goodness gun death rates have been falling since the 1970s. Imagine if we were at the high rates of the 1990s!

Yes it does.

What part of MILLIONS of gun owners out of which you point to "27 school shootings" which could refer to a number of different forms of a gun going off on school property, and 198 "mass shootings" which is a combination of mostly criminal gang types and a smaller number of "crazy person with a gun" types is so hard to understand?

Simply divide the smallest estimate of national gun owners which I think is 45 million.

What percent of 45 million is 27 incidents? 0.0000006% What percent of 45 million is 198 incidents? 0.0000044%

According to this news report 300 people are being struck by lightning each year and 50 people are killed by lighting each year.

You have a greater chance of being killed by lightning than involved in a school shooting. You have a greater chance of being struck by lightning each year than being involved in a "mass shooting."

Are we in a panic about lightning strikes?
So you are okay with 27 school shootings and 198 mass shootings as it is a "little" number of deaths. And trying to say death by guns is better because a number of people are killed by lightning, really? Getting struck by lightning is a true accident. Getting shot is not and it is done with a tool that has only one use, to kill. I suspect that if one of your children was killed in a school shooting you would just say to them, you had a better chance of getting hit by lightning. And in the end we are not talking about millions of people, but enough that we need laws to keep those from getting weapons, especially weapons like AR!5's. Universal background checks have the approval of over 85% of Americans and might just help keep some of those who might kill children from getting weapons, but no, we can not do even that little. Just a question, have you ever seen what a bullet does to human flesh. Have you ever seen what the bullet from an AR15 does? Having been in the military and worked in a hospital during Vietnam, I have and it is not a nice thing to see.

So you are okay with 27 school shootings and 198 mass shootings as it is a "little" number of deaths.

LOL

Trying to equate what I am saying with "not caring" is both a false equivalence AND an appeal to emotion.

I am saying YOUR attempt to conflate these incidents in an attempt to push gun control is the false narrative.

And trying to say death by guns is better because a number of people are killed by lightning, really? Getting struck by lightning is a true accident. Getting shot is not and it is done with a tool that has only one use, to kill. I suspect that if one of your children was killed in a school shooting you would just say to them, you had a better chance of getting hit by lightning.

You really do like to respond with fallacious points don't you? Appeals to emotion, false equivalencies, a real inability to grasp concepts outside your confirmation biases?

Again, you are rephrasing my words to create your own narrative.

You are asserting this point "Mass shooting have become just part of the American scene."

They are NOT common. They are notorious because of their relative rareness.

Hence my comparison to lightning strikes and deaths.

They are more frequent, and kill more people, but you don't hear anyone making a point of them "being just part of the American scene."

And in the end we are not talking about millions of people, but enough that we need laws to keep those from getting weapons, especially weapons like AR15's.

WRONG! As always, the argument is some emotional B.S. to "prevent some rare person" from getting ahold of whatever the fear is. How do you do that? Eliminate that particular tool.

Suggest people can do just as well with some somewhat similar but lesser tool. The cry this time being no one needs THAT (insert targeted item here) because: "Think of the innocent children!"

Universal background checks have the approval of over 85% of Americans and might just help keep some of those who might kill children from getting weapons, but no, we can not do even that little.

I don't agree with background checks as they are. They don't do anything but give the government a list of everyone who owns a weapon, and a record of what kind in the "store" it was sold from.

All the better to collect them up "my dear" when enough whining fearmongers convince the government to "collect them up!"

Leaving only those "trusted enforcers" of government with both those and more powerful tools to suppress dissent with force if necessary.

Just a question, have you ever seen what a bullet does to human flesh. Have you ever seen what the bullet from an AR15 does? Having been in the military and worked in a hospital during Vietnam, I have and it is not a nice thing to see.

Actually I have.

But that appeal to false authority AND emotion has no effect on my rational view of the situation.

You are not fooling anyone. Gun control is your goal.

Mine is opposing it.

Last edited:
15 just killed in a Texas school.

Not surprisingly, a gun was involved.

I can smell the freedom from here.
I can see the trolling here. I can see posters who just love seeing news of massacres so they can troll pro gun advocates. it's pathetic but predictable

LOL

Trying to equate what I am saying with "not caring" is both a false equivalence AND an appeal to emotion.

I am saying YOUR attempt to conflate these incidents in an attempt to push gun control is the false narrative.

You really do like to respond with fallacious points don't you? Appeals to emotion, false equivalencies, a real inability to grasp concepts outside your confirmation biases?

You are asserting this point "Mass shooting have become just part of the American scene."

They are more frequent, and kill more people, but you don't hear anyone making a point of them "being just part of the American scene."

WRONG! As always, the argument is some emotional B.S. to "prevent some rare person" from getting ahold of whatever the fear is. How do you do that? Eliminate that particular tool.

Suggest people can do just as well with some somewhat similar but lesser tool. The cry this time being no one needs THAT (insert targeted item here) because: "Think of the innocent children!"

I don't agree with background checks as they are. They don't do anything but give the government a list of everyone who owns a weapon, and a record of what kind in the "store" it was sold from.

All the better to collect them up "my dear" when enough whining fearmongers convince the government to "collect them up!"

Leaving only those "trusted enforcers" of government with both those and more powerful tools to suppress dissent with force if necessary.

Actually I have.

But that appeal to false authority AND emotion has no effect on my rational view of the situation.

Mine is opposing it.
nothing is more pathetic than posts that demand that we jettison our rights and claim if we do not, we somehow support mass killings. It's like saying if you don't cut off your penis, you must support rape or if you don't cut off your hand, you support beating people

I can see the trolling here. I can see posters who just love seeing news of massacres so they can troll pro gun advocates. it's pathetic but predictable
What’s predictable is you whining about trolling after a mass shooting because you literally have no ideas for fixes and also don’t really care.

WHUT???? 😳

Who told you this?

Mass shootings have nothing to do with the importance of children. You're connecting dots that aren't even there.

All mass shooters are insane people. Insane people do insane things. There a plethora of laws to keep guns out the hands of insane people. The problem is the insane people don't care about the laws.

I'm not sure when the gun banners are going to figure this one out.

rod-serling-twilight-zone-weird.gif

LOL

Actually I have.

Mine is opposing it.
You like most gunsters think that a few children is a small price to pay to own your guns. I find it interesting that fewer and fewer households have guns and yet the number of guns keeps increasing in this country. And it seems when you look at what is happening in this country, it is the gun owners who are trying to enforce their ideas on this country with guns, not the government. Even the January 6th people had guns hidden near the capital and the gun totters in Michigan who took over the capital building there using their guns to intimidate. Maybe you should stop watching Fox News for five minutes and look waht is really happening to this country. The far right is pushing us toward authoritarianism at an alarming rate and the rest of the world knows it.

It's true. Mass shootings have become so common they have stopped to be upsetting. People shrug it off. Murder has become normal.

that is what a talking head said and she was right. Many Americans no longer even want to hear about them or do not look up t their TV from their phones when they are being shown on the networks. Pretty soon the old saying will change to mom, apple pie and mass shootings. And nothing, and I mean nothing will be done o stop them. It is a sickening truth, but there it is, guns are more important than children.

What do you propose we do about it, and whatever that is, why shouldn't we apply the same approach to much bigger problems?

WHUT???? 😳

Who told you this?

Mass shootings have nothing to do with the importance of children. You're connecting dots that aren't even there.

All mass shooters are insane people. Insane people do insane things. There a plethora of laws to keep guns out the hands of insane people. The problem is the insane people don't care about the laws.

And our nation’s love for guns makes sure these sick individuals have the equipment they need to destroy and kill.

More people are killed with cars. You would have just as much chance of banning cars.

Beyond that, all you need is an Amendment. Go for it, if you think you have a tinkers chance in hell.

Beyond that, there are nearly 300 gun laws on the books. Some fools think passing another one will make a difference.

Same old tired argument, you remember when the kid used his car to mow down 15 6 year olds? Gee why not?

Back
Top Bottom